Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Difference between these two Ram clutchs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Difference between these two Ram clutchs?

What is the difference between the two clutchs?

Having a hard time decieding on which one to go with...

Ram Powergrip
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Ram HDX
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I did notice the Powergrip disc material is IRON/ORGANIC
and the HDX is on ORGANIC...
Whats the difference??

If you have any other clutch opinons, please post!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HDX has the same organic compound on both sides, the powergrip is a duel friction clutch and has organic on the flywheel side and their 900 friction material on the pressure plate side, and the powergrip HD has the iron material on both sides.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
HDX has the same organic compound on both sides, the powergrip is a duel friction clutch and has organic on the flywheel side and their 900 friction material on the pressure plate side, and the powergrip HD has the iron material on both sides.
So what should I do...? I had a friend that had a Powergrip HD in his C5 Z06 and it lasted 10k miles.. I thought that was a bit soon..?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen a dual friction clutch last a long time. IMO it was a bad idea, and it still is. Organic is stock. Either go with a stock clutch kit or a 100% cera-metallic/iron disc. I did notice that both kits you posted about appear to use a stock PP.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well which one do you recommend for my set up?
Custom cam.. Port heads/intake... Drag radials.. maybe 2x a year to track, mostly street drivin.. and a daily driver.. expecting 350rwhp.. maybe a bit more depending on the tune and how well this cam turns out...
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TDP
I have never seen a dual friction clutch last a long time. IMO it was a bad idea, and it still is. Organic is stock. Either go with a stock clutch kit or a 100% cera-metallic/iron disc. I did notice that both kits you posted about appear to use a stock PP.
I haven't found an LT1 clutch out there that doesnt use a stock LT4 pressure plate.

Originally Posted by Green3spd
Well which one do you recommend for my set up?
Custom cam.. Port heads/intake... Drag radials.. maybe 2x a year to track, mostly street drivin.. and a daily driver.. expecting 350rwhp.. maybe a bit more depending on the tune and how well this cam turns out...
As of right now nothing from ram, it appears my pressure plate wasn't balanced from them unless somehow my flywheels balance got thrown off when it was resurfaced. So far my powergrip HD has 0 chatter and drives like stock other than the balance problem though.

I still haven't verified that it is an actual problem with the clutch itself and not the flywheel yet though so don't take my word on it.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 01-07-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

As of right now nothing from ram, it appears my pressure plate wasn't balanced from them unless somehow my flywheels balance got thrown off when it was resurfaced. So far my powergrip HD has 0 chatter and drives like stock other than the balance problem though.

I still haven't verified that it is an actual problem with the clutch itself and not the flywheel yet though so don't take my word on it.
Well. Someone recommended the SPEC 3 today??? that one seem ok for what Im doing?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Green3spd
Well. Someone recommended the SPEC 3 today??? that one seem ok for what Im doing?
Ill never run any kind of spec product in my car.

With that said my flywheel had .015 of run out so im 99% sure that was the vibration problem. So since its a problem with the flywheel and not the clutch I couldn't be happier with how it drives so far. No chatter at all, it just drives like a grabbier stock clutch.

Quick Reply: Difference between these two Ram clutchs?