Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting issue still not solved...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I would check bleeder.......and that the braided line it pushed all the way into the slave.......also check where the stock clutch reservoir connects to tick mc
Sounds good to me, I'll check them when the weather gets a bit better and it doesn't decide to snow 1-2 days before I actually get the time to work on the car

Also, those zip ties that are supplied with the tick master... are they somewhat crucial to installing the master/keeping leaks away? If so, where are they exactly supposed to be located?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

I only used one zip tie to seal the hose for the reservoir to the master cylinder
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Aetos, I thought about you last weekend when I drove my car. I got in it with it completely cold and NOT running, pushed the clutch in and put it in 1st, it went in smoothly, I slowly shifted through the gears and it easily went right in until I went to 5th, it was a little notchy, 6th wouldn't go. So I started the car, rolled it forward about a foot, then 5th and 6th would easily go in..... All of this is getting back to my point of you can't judge how well the tranny shifts when you are sitting still with the engine not running.... Those synchros have to be turning to work...

I know you say you are getting a grinding so thats definetly not right, but when you talk about your "block" when trying to change gears with it not running....I don't necessarily think that is a problem.

I also noticed that if its running and I have the clutch in at a stand still and I am rowing through the gears, if I try to shift it quick or hard like simulating a powershift at WOT, it seems to hit a "block" or restriction occassionally on certain gears, once again I contribute this to the fact the all of the tranny internals are not in motion, (ie. wheel speed matching RPMs). Driving down the road, my car shifts 100% perfectly smooth and positive at all levels of shifts(slow, fast, full on power shifts).

I guess my point is to reiterate, judge your tranny on how it shifts going down the road, not the driveway..... If its grinding when going down the road, or you are hitting blocks when trying to shift it hard, you still have a problem.

Keep us posted.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Aetos, I thought about you last weekend when I drove my car. I got in it with it completely cold and NOT running, pushed the clutch in and put it in 1st, it went in smoothly, I slowly shifted through the gears and it easily went right in until I went to 5th, it was a little notchy, 6th wouldn't go. So I started the car, rolled it forward about a foot, then 5th and 6th would easily go in..... All of this is getting back to my point of you can't judge how well the tranny shifts when you are sitting still with the engine not running.... Those synchros have to be turning to work...

I know you say you are getting a grinding so thats definetly not right, but when you talk about your "block" when trying to change gears with it not running....I don't necessarily think that is a problem.

I also noticed that if its running and I have the clutch in at a stand still and I am rowing through the gears, if I try to shift it quick or hard like simulating a powershift at WOT, it seems to hit a "block" or restriction occassionally on certain gears, once again I contribute this to the fact the all of the tranny internals are not in motion, (ie. wheel speed matching RPMs). Driving down the road, my car shifts 100% perfectly smooth and positive at all levels of shifts(slow, fast, full on power shifts).

I guess my point is to reiterate, judge your tranny on how it shifts going down the road, not the driveway..... If its grinding when going down the road, or you are hitting blocks when trying to shift it hard, you still have a problem.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the post and I'll keep that in mind!

Yea, the problem also occurs while the car is in motion, any rpm. It also happens during idle into 1st(which shouldn't happen with 1st, right?)

I believe I do have a leak as stated earlier because my car seems to become worse and worse the longer the car goes from the time I bled it... not sure yet though.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you put the ls7 clutch in how was the pedal with the stock master? Was the engagement at the bottom like most of us and then moved up? I'm just hoping you didn't swap out your stock clutch with a bad pressure plate to another pressure plate issue on the ls7 clutch. With the tick MC, is there a little room before you start to feel pressure from the clutch pressure plate, like an inch or two of no pedal pressure? How many miles are on you ls7 setup?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AllThrottle4U
When you put the ls7 clutch in how was the pedal with the stock master? Was the engagement at the bottom like most of us and then moved up? I'm just hoping you didn't swap out your stock clutch with a bad pressure plate to another pressure plate issue on the ls7 clutch. With the tick MC, is there a little room before you start to feel pressure from the clutch pressure plate, like an inch or two of no pedal pressure? How many miles are on you ls7 setup?
The ls7 when new with my stock(upgraded 01-02) hydraulics was on the bottom like everyone and slowly moved towards the middle as with most people. So the issue is most likely hydraulic, not pressure plate(thank god). Depending on where the MC is adjusted it engages in different spots. Near the floor it disengages pretty much off the floor. All the way out in engages somewhere around the middle or so.

The LS7 has <1k miles.

I wish this weather would pickup so I can actually go and check for leaks.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

This may sound funny but have you tried putting it in neutral, starting the engine and just pumping the **** out of the clutch pedal? I mean like press hard and fast and release the same way, like twenty to thirty times. It can't hurt. Of course adjust your master to the fullest length so it is getting all the travel.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

This may sound funny but have you tried putting it in neutral, starting the engine and just pumping the **** out of the clutch pedal? I mean like press hard and fast and release the same way, like twenty to thirty times. It can't hurt. Of course adjust your master to the fullest length so it is getting all the travel.
Nope, didn't try this... what would this solve?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

It worked for me to get the pedal to firm up on my ls7 clutch. It brought the release point to the very top of the pedal. I bled and bled and bled with a remote bleeder and it still wasn't very firm or at the top till I tried this. When i was bleeding it didn't seem like it was pushing a lot of fluid. Now when I push the pedal down with the remote bleeder cracked it streams out from the top to the bottom of the pedal. It boils down to thinking you still have air trapped in your system or your pressure plate hasn't fully adjusted out. Snapping the pedal on the return could help both and it's free.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Regular

It worked for me to get the pedal to firm up on my ls7 clutch. It brought the release point to the very top of the pedal. I bled and bled and bled with a remote bleeder and it still wasn't very firm or at the top till I tried this. When i was bleeding it didn't seem like it was pushing a lot of fluid. Now when I push the pedal down with the remote bleeder cracked it streams out from the top to the bottom of the pedal. It boils down to thinking you still have air trapped in your system or your pressure plate hasn't fully adjusted out. Snapping the pedal on the return could help both and it's free.
I guess I'll try this when the weather gets a bit better.

This was my car last night:

Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Wow that sucks, where are you located? It's nice here in houston in the winter, like 70 degrees now but the summers are way too hot and humid. Btw remember to take the cap off the reservoir and pump it fast.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Wow that sucks, where are you located? It's nice here in houston in the winter, like 70 degrees now but the summers are way too hot and humid. Btw remember to take the cap off the reservoir and pump it fast.
I'm located in NYC... weather here is retarded during the winter. One week its 50 the next week its 20 with snow and then the next day its 40-50 again.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

what's up aetos havent talk to you in awhile.i can fully confirm now, that my tickmaster adj cured my shifting problems.however, i do get notchyness in the freezing tempatures too.even my powersteering is tough an requires two hands when turning at low speeds.have you tried her with all the new goodies with temps of 40 an up yet?
Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
what's up aetos havent talk to you in awhile.i can fully confirm now, that my tickmaster adj cured my shifting problems.however, i do get notchyness in the freezing tempatures too.even my powersteering is tough an requires two hands when turning at low speeds.have you tried her with all the new goodies with temps of 40 an up yet?
Yea, I have.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Any update Aetos? I hope you solved it because I'm having the same issue. And I'm reading and reading and reading all over this forum to try and solve it.

Quick Reply: Shifting issue still not solved...