Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

blowing fluid through rear seal. Driveshaft issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blowing fluid through rear seal. Driveshaft issue?

I seem to be having some issue with my driveshaft into the tranny? For some reason it is vibrating and pulling the rear bearing out. I have a t-56 car that was swapped to a th400, then the motor was pulled and the car was swapped back to a t-56 tranny. In both cases I have bought a driveshaft off this site that was suppose to be for a 10bolt car.... and in both cases the u-joints were different but both driveshafts are the same length and have the same marking in the same spot. We have yet to put the new driveshaft in as we are waiting to get the u-joint swapped, so we are not sure if this driveshaft is going to have the same issue. I am thinking that the old driveshaft may have been out of balance causing it to vibrate under load, at low rpms and again at high speeds but the vibration isn't consistent.... thus shaking the bearing out.

The last 2 times that the car has been on the dyno, there has been a vibration followed by tranny fluid coming out of the tranny were the driveshaft goes in. The last time it was on the dyno we swapped the bearing and seal and put the driveshaft back on. While installing the driveshaft, it appeared that the driveshaft was not quite long enough thus not having enough side load on the front side of the driveshaft going into the tranny. I am not sure if a slight space is normal between the driveshaft and the trany or not ( if I remember correctly it was a space about an 1.5". Any comments regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Have you only had it on a dyno or road also? Is it steel or alum? I have read on here that a steel one on a dyno is not a good idea. Does fine till you let off the gas and has been know to crack tailshafts. Don't have any personnal experience with it though.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jc99ls1ss
Have you only had it on a dyno or road also? Is it steel or alum? I have read on here that a steel one on a dyno is not a good idea. Does fine till you let off the gas and has been know to crack tailshafts. Don't have any personnal experience with it though.
no its been on the road quite a few times, seems to only blow fluid out under WOT. It is a alum. D/S.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Do you still have the breather on it? Just like a diff the trans will create pressure and will push the oil wherever it can. Mine has a long black tube that goes up to the rear of the motor.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Do you still have the breather on it? Just like a diff the trans will create pressure and will push the oil wherever it can. Mine has a long black tube that goes up to the rear of the motor.
Not sure, never heard of it but I dont think the problem would be related to that. How far should the driveshaft slide into the tranny?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Slides in a good ways. What is the degree on your rearend? have you lowered it? I think mine was 1/2 or 3/4 of the way in after I got the driveshaft bolted back up. Torque arm and all bushings still in good shape? Yes there is a tube on the pass side of tranny that run along side and up towards engine. makes it a B**** to get that one bolt out and then back in when fooling with clutch.

Quick Reply: blowing fluid through rear seal. Driveshaft issue?