Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing chewed up the input shaft... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it! It was pretty much the dowel pins, and a combo of working the tail up and down the best we could with the transmission jack adapter from HFT. Now... if I could only get people to leave me alone so I could get everything bolted up. The stupid vent tube is my adversary now
Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Digging up an oldie here. I'm doing a h/c/I and clutch install. seperated the tranny from the motor and discovered my pilot bearing is junk and chewed up my input shaft. Solo I get the impression that it is safe to take off the cover and take it out that way and im guessing its pretty easy but what about endplay ? What to do about that ? I just don't wanna replace the input shaft with a brand new one and have it grenade my tranny or clutch. I found a brand new one on eBay for 220 shipped. Would that be all I need ?? I would just send the tranny off to be built but I'm running out of money and time on this build.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Hindsight being 20/20, I really wish I would have sent mine off to be rebuilt and upgraded some. I don't think my tranny was rebuilt correctly and it needs it again. I'm getting a little squeak when it's taking off and it sounds like the pilot bearing... You'd really be better off having someone like Tick go through it. They build thousands of them and know them better than any ordinary homegrown shop. I was faced with a hard deadline with a job and moving so I did what I thought was right at the time. If I could do it all over again I would have found some money somewhere, borrowed a car, and gone ahead and had Tick build a beast for me. Now I'm stuck with a tranny that grinds, whines, and leaks...
Old 06-28-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Come to think of it that pretty well describes all of the mechanicals on it now. The rest is cracked, squeaky, rattley, and dull. Sad...
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would have it all built up but i don't have the money after doing this H/C/I install. I just bought a new stock input shaft from hawksthirdgen only $204.

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing chewed up the input shaft... HELP!!