Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnosing T56 Clutch/Slave problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing T56 Clutch/Slave problem

I have a 2002 Camaro SS, M6. Last time I was home to drive it, it seemed that it was shifting hard, then later that drive I had a very difficult time shifting to 2nd and 1st. I nursed the car home, 3+4 we're shifting okay, though it got to a point where it was noticeably easier if the RPM's were matched. Upon returning home, I had to use a lot of force to get it into 1st, and then it required significant force to put it in reverse (how I leave it parked). At first, I was able to get the car in first and second by clutching several times between tries, but that only worked a couple of times. I drove the car one more time, 1st, 2nd, and reverse became virtually impossible to use. Trying to push them into gear with the clutch in would eventually, with enough force, get the RPM's to dip, I didn't want to put any more force to get to engage, this was done for diagnosis only. Seems to me that the clutch was definitely engaged at that point, even though I was pushing it in.

So, what I'm trying to figure out, is this the clutch or is it a failed slave. Don't know how common the second is. This is a Textralia OZ700 with about 38k on it, never made it to the race track or dragstrip. My wife has been driving it during my continual deployments, after I had this issue she pointed out she thought it had been hard to shift for 'a while'. Clutch fluid is full, but dirty.

Do I just need to get this to a shop and change clutch, master, and slave, just to be sure, or do I just need to get it apart to diagnose? I am not in the same state as my car right now, but I will have a couple of days home in February. Thoughts, or anything else I can check when I have the opportunity?

My conclusion, as obvious as it may seem, is that the clutch wasn't fully disengaging for sometime, and, in a very short period of time, failed to disengage altogether. It was only after the final drive that I had any hint of a clutch burning smell, and not that strong of one. I've been told by others that either the 'fingers' fail, causing clutch failure, or the slave occasionally goes.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Old 01-20-2009, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check all of it. My money is on the slave, thats what mine did when the slave went to crap. But I replaced the master just to be safe. If you don't want to spring for an adjustable master, most auto parts stores have the 01-02 masters, don't get the 98-00 they have a taller stop inside. Also, I ordered a new slave from GM for $155 and got the same thing that I got from kragen for $79, identical down to the casting numbers.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

my slave leaked when it went, see if you have a leak. and check your fluid level
Old 01-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys, I hope that it's just the hydraulics and not a clutch failure. I'll let you know what I find, if anyone else has anything to add, I'd appreciate it. btw, clutch fluid appeared full, but dirty.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing T56 Clutch/Slave problem