Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding when clutch is depressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding when clutch is depressed

Alright, I just traded a guy for a 98 z28 m6 and before I got it I had never driven a clutched vehicle before. Have only driven 100 miles and am still learning, so please don't be too harsh on me lol. I was told it had a spec clutch, but did not know what stage it was. Pedal goes about 30 percent or so (even with brake pedal) before it engages, and it shifts perfectly in and out of every gear. Have no problems getting to reverse or in 1st when it is first being started. The problem I am having is that say I am rolling in 2nd at 20mph and depress the clutch fully to coast, it sounds like all hell is going to break loose. There is a loud squeeling/grinding coming from the tranny/clutch. I can let off of the clutch so that it is not fully depressed, but just catching a little bit and the noise goes away. Also when the noise is happening and I stop the car fully the speedo still reads like 20 or so until I put it in neutral and let off the clutch fully, then the noise stops and the speedo goes to zero. I have been reading threads on here for about 3 hours now and it sounds like the pilot bearing is toast. Do you guys think this is the issue, or is it something more serious? BTW, car only has 60k miles on it and I was told the clutch had about 15,000 on it. Thanks for any light you can shed on the situation.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about pilot bearing, sounds more like a throw out bearing to me. The noise you are hearing is it turning when it engages the clutch to release it. Can't imagine someone having a clutch put in and not replacing it while things were apart. Not really easy to get to as the trans has to come out to remedy this problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

So it's the throw out bearing if it makes the noise only when the clutch is depressed fully? It does not do this in neutral if the clutch is depressed, only while in gear and after the car has been moving. If I go outside now and do not drive it, but put it in first and depress the clutch all the way, it does not make a peep. But if I get going about 15mph then depress the clutch fully it makes the grinding noise. Again, it shifts fine and I have had no other problems with slipping or anything like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slmdgmc
So it's the throw out bearing if it makes the noise only when the clutch is depressed fully? It does not do this in neutral if the clutch is depressed, only while in gear and after the car has been moving. If I go outside now and do not drive it, but put it in first and depress the clutch all the way, it does not make a peep. But if I get going about 15mph then depress the clutch fully it makes the grinding noise. Again, it shifts fine and I have had no other problems with slipping or anything like that.
If you set in the car put in neutral with it running rev up and then depress the clutch it should make the same noise if its the through out bearing. Its the sound of the bearing itself rotating with the clutch as it depresses the release in the center of your clutch pack. Try that and then let me know.

Quick Reply: Grinding when clutch is depressed