Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

spec clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spec clutches?

Anybody had good luck with these clutches. I had one a few years ago and within a month there was no clutch left. I figured maybe i got a defective one. Also was wonderin if there is a benefit to having a aluminum or chromemoly flywheel?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had my spec 4 in the car for about 4 yrs.

100% street driven, about 10-12K miles or so.

pulled it out after about 3K miles and had barely worn down any material.

considering its a race clutch, solid disc...mated to a lightweight flywheel that requires alot of slipping...i'm pretty happy.

it has gotten noisier over the miles though. it squeals when you engage in reverse or 1st, sometimes 2nd, but this is only when its cold. once it warms up its 95% gone.

even letting the enging warm up a few minutes...and thus warming the clutch with heat soak...cuts down the squeal.
but it still grabs HARD.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've had real good luck with them throughout the years with many 3's over 40k miles on them.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by teke184
i've had my spec 4 in the car for about 4 yrs.

100% street driven, about 10-12K miles or so.

pulled it out after about 3K miles and had barely worn down any material.

considering its a race clutch, solid disc...mated to a lightweight flywheel that requires alot of slipping...i'm pretty happy.

it has gotten noisier over the miles though. it squeals when you engage in reverse or 1st, sometimes 2nd, but this is only when its cold. once it warms up its 95% gone.

even letting the enging warm up a few minutes...and thus warming the clutch with heat soak...cuts down the squeal.
but it still grabs HARD.
Same experience here with a Spec 4. I like it, you might want to check your pilot bearing/bushing cuz I find that the squeaking noise comes around every 5K. I have to replace the bronze bushing in mine bout every 5k miles when it starts to wear outand not be round anymore.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. The car is very close to stock so i might go with a spec 2. Unsure about what flywheel to go with though. Anybody got any hints. Im unsure if i want to go with a steel, aluminum or chromemoly. Will a lightweight flywheel and flexwplate make a difference or is just a waste of cash?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spec n Flywheels

I have a stage 3 behind my 402. Just street miles and no trouble.

If you are going to use your car on the street, stick with the stock weight flywheel. If you go to Aluminum, you will not have the flywheel inertia to help get the car moving. In other words, you really have to rev up the engine, and slip the clutch to get moving.

I tried an aluminum on my 402 and went back to stock weight. I tried a lighter weight steel 13lb's behind my 454, took it out and went with a 18 lb flywheel. I think stock weight is + - 23lb's. Aluminum flywheels weigh in at about + - 8 to 10 lb's.

My .02....

Last edited by davidws6; 01-28-2009 at 05:29 AM. Reason: spell
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spec two, after the chattering went away the clutch is awsome. Spec said like 500 miles, end up being like 1k to 1,500 miles be for it was completly quite.
Very nice, I was told not to go with there flywheel, dunno why but a lot of people said not to so I went with a near factory flywheel.
I dunno if it was just mine tho soon after the clutch install the master cylinder went. Upgraded to a Tick adjustable one, What a good combo it is too.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've had extremely good luck with SPEC and even run a 5 in our shop's race car. All experiences with them are a direct result of the installation. Do it right and you'll have lots of luck with SPEC.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pilot bushing was replaced when i pulled the clutch out after several thousand miles. didn't change the squeal at all.

its worse when the engine is cold, it improves from just a few minutes of sitting still and idling (heated by the engine i guess), and after you drive a few miles and shift a few times it almost goes away.

if i remember correctly, i weighed my stock flywheel at 26 or 28#, some of the billet steels are ~18, and my fidanza is 13#

while it is a bit tricky to pull from a stop, part of that being the stg 4 setup, if you just rev it a bit more its fine.
and once you are engaged and rolling the light weight means more poewr to the wheels and faster revs

Quick Reply: spec clutches?