Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard to get into gear after everythng fixed/replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to get into gear after everythng fixed/replaced

OK got a strange issue. As some know, I replaced my transmission with one I bought off here that turned out to have worn blocker rings on 4th. The hydraulics he sent were junk too. My clutch was newer, but stock.

Long story, but we had the tranny rebuilt. I bought an LS7 clutch, new master and slave and pilot bearing. We installed new u-joints too while it was out.

OK here is the problem. There is absolutely NO air left in the system, however 1st and reverse are hard to get into. The clutch pedal doesnt seem to start disengagement until I have pushed it down about 2 inches. Does this sound right? The old one engaged imediately at the top.

So I was thinking if this is a problem, could I transfer the adjustable rod from my old master over to the new one to bring the engagement higher?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since the clutch is a stock-ish type clutch, an adjustable MC isn't necessary. But it almost sounds like the clutch isn't disengaged all the way. But if that was the case, then all gears would be tough. Only thing I can think of is that the rebuild might not have been 100% ??? Was the rebuild place competent with T56's?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Guess I should clarify. At a stop it wont go into any gear, but I dont typically put it in any gear but 1st and reverse from a stop. It is not disengaging enough to get into any gear. I can start it in gear and its fine, and once driving it shifts fine, but I think that is just because of the right RPMs to smoothly shift without completely disengaging.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

New developement. I did put the adjustable rod in my new master. It seems a lot better. I havent driven it but moving it around the yard it seems much better.

I did notice that my pedal is not about an inch higher than my brake pedal. I thought this was an issue, but then I looked at a couple other guys cars last night and it is apparently supposed to be higher. Mine was level. So I think I have may have found the issue.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had similar problems described early in this thread, it ended up being
the master cylinder. I ended up installating a brand new pre-bled GM
master cylinder complete with the reservoir and braided line.

That solved the problem once and for all. What I learned from that
experience is to bench bleed even a new master cylinder unless it's a new pre-bled GM unit.

This link might be helpful.
http://home.comcast.net/~buschman_00...utchbleed.html

Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

No I bench bled it. I have been doing this a while. There is absolutely no air left in it. The adjustable pushrod seems to have fixed the issue.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Since the clutch is a stock-ish type clutch, an adjustable MC isn't necessary.
This isn't 100% true - we've seen stock cars with stock clutches have disengagement issues.

With the LS7 clutch, and adjustable master goes a LONG way in helping disengagement issues. Keep in mind that the LS7 Clutch was designed for use with the C6 Z06 hydraulic system, which is a much better design than the factory 98-02 F-Body junk. Upgrading to our kit will introduce more fluid to the system and completely eliminate any disengagement issues - something the RAM and other stock cylinder based adjustable masters cannot claim.

No matter the clutch, no matter the setup, our adjustable master kit will make an improvement in every case.