Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC III, stock rear end, tires, ANYONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default SPEC III, stock rear end, tires, ANYONE?

anyone doing launches with the Spec Stage 3 on tires? hows the rear end? im prolly gonna be needing a new clutch soon and was looking into this one. i was thinking that if i got this clutch, with tires, im just gonna blow out my rear, any of u guys had luck? any feedback would be great! thanks!
Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: SPEC III, stock rear end, tires, ANYONE?

you should be fine so long as you take all the slack out of the driveline. the rear is gonna go eventually, so just be expecting it.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone doing launches with the Spec Stage 3 on tires? hows the rear end? im prolly gonna be needing a new clutch soon and was looking into this one. i was thinking that if i got this clutch, with tires, im just gonna blow out my rear, any of u guys had luck? any feedback would be great! thanks!

Yup - the SPEC III hits REAL hard with very little slip, so that extra shock is transmitted to the driveline. I installed 3.73's and the SPEC this spring and very first trip to the track launching on Nitto DR's, I sheared the bolt that attaches the torque arm to the transmission tail shaft clean off when powershifting 2nd! Then about 3 months later and after a few more track visits, my new 3.73's gave up the ghost. So there's a new Moser 12 bolt with 4.10's in there now. But with all that said, I am VERY happy with the SPEC - no chatter at all now since breakin, and it's no harder to drive than stock. Just likes a few more revs when leaving from a stop, but you soon get used to driving it that way. And it's still holding great, with no "issues" whatsoever.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

thanks guys
Old 10-09-2003, 09:58 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

I personally do not think mine will stick over 2 launches on e.t. Streets, but that is just me. good luck