Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?

I just got my RAM powergrip clutch which I didn't realize has 1 side which uses the puck style clutch setup, however the directions don't really tell you which side goes against the motor or anything else, I am doing this on a A4-M6 swap so I don't have any old clutch to compare anything to... Also the throwout bearing is installed already in the pressure plate but seems to be on backward with the portion that has the part for the release fork to attach to on the side of the PP that faces the clutch.. I'll try to get some pics here tonight but can anyone help me out with this?
Old 02-06-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

lay the clutch disk on flat ground, if the perimeter of the disk is on the ground but the center is raised then that is your engine side ( top of disk), but if contact area of the disk all around is raised up and not touching the ground then your Pressure Plate side is on top.

as for the bearing make sure you didint get a push style clutch like on the corvettes. i may have that backwards, but vette is 1 way and fbody is another way ( pull/push style)
Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Default pics

Here yah go... which side of clutch disk faces engine? and does the release bearing look like it was installed backward by them? I can't see how the clutch fork could go between the PP and clutch disk when its all assembled?
Attached Thumbnails LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-dsc02177.jpg   LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-dsc02178.jpg   LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-dsc02179.jpg  
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

TO bearing is on backwards. Raised" center hub side of disc goes to FW

The RAM disc shown goes to FW side in pic
Attached Thumbnails LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-clutch-inst-5-zoom-pp.jpg   LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-dsc06707.jpg   LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?-lt-1-clutches-058.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

Found this on the RAM website:

Which side of the disc faces to the flywheel when I install?

In 99% of the cases, the disc mounts with the sprung side (the side the hub and retainer are assembled to) facing the transmission. The flatter side of the disc faces down to the flywheel. There are a few cases, such as 93-97 Camaro/Firebird where the sprung side of the disc faces the flywheel. This will usually be apparent due to a deeper recess in the flywheel flange area of the flywheel, or markings on the disc indicating mounting direction.

I'm assuming then that my middle pic shows the right layout and I just have to switch the TO bearing around...
Old 02-08-2009, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ya go.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Here's another problem I just encountered? where am I supposed to get the bolts that attach the PP to the flywheel? I have the flywheel to motor bolts, but nothing for these?? they aren't the same as the old TC to flexplate ones? R they?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea, but new ones are never a bad idea. I bought mine at the dealer.

Quick Reply: LT1 RAM Powergrip install problems?