Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..

Here's the SnapOn puller I just bought. Got it today:

http://www.akmcables.com/Dcp_0529.jpg

It has part number DC-52 on the sticker.

And I tore in to another T56 tonight. Got all pumped up, ready to pull that pesky 5-6 gear. Tore things down, got to the gear - and the damn gear slid right off in my hand!!!! I bought this big puller... And didn't even use it! Just my luck. I'm sure I'll use it in the future tho.

This T56 was having reverse and 5th gear problems. The reverse synchro was wobbling - the snap ring that retains it was nearly destroyed. The plastic tabs on the 5-6 fork were broken, but the worst part - that 5-6 gear - had torn up the mainshaft. There was side-to-side play on that gear, a few hundredths easy. The teeth on the mainshaft and the gear itself were kind of 'smashed' and deformed. So, this T56 will get a new mainshaft, snap rings, 5th gear, 5-6 driven gear, and a host of other parts.

-Andrew
Old 10-15-2003, 10:59 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, well I'm sure the next time that fancy puller will come in handy

I just picked up a spare T56 with 60K on it, popped out of third a lot and he couldnt get it into reverse. Hopefully it isnt too bad inside..
Old 10-16-2003, 06:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's the SnapOn puller I just bought. Got it today:

http://www.akmcables.com/Dcp_0529.jpg

It has part number DC-52 on the sticker.
How much was that ****? That is an awesome lookin puller!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's about $260 from Snap On, I think. I paid a little less than that.

Good score on the T56, KP. The 3-4 is probably just the plastic fork tabs, fork, or slider keys. Reverse is probably boogered tho. The tranny I pulled apart last night, the slider assembly part of reverse was actually wobbling on the mainshaft because of the torn up snap ring. The ring had grooved the mainshaft, the fork was stuck on its shaft (it had mushroomed the metal on the fork's snap ring, had to file it down a little to get the fork off!), and the slider was trash. Hopefully your new one isn't as bad, but that's just something to watch for.

My own spare wasn't too bad, has some chewed up sliders and broken slider keys (sticking in 4th), but overall is in OK shape. I'll be rebuiling it next month, I think.

-Andrew
Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM
kp
8 Second Club

This trans has never been apart yet so who knows. Cant imagine reverse getting torn up to bad but a lot of things can happen in 60,000 miles. Mine only has 15K on it and has been apart 3 times

Now I'm working on getting my clutch to release quicker at high RPM. with my old cam and shifting ~6100 I never had a problem, shifting at 65-6600 is a problem now though. I'm going to try an adjustable master I think, its always something
Old 10-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Its quite common tho miss 3rd or 5th on a spirited upshift and "burp" reverse.The solenoid only inhibits the shift it does not block out reverse. I would plan on replacing the reverse driven gear as the clutch teeth are prolly gone and thats why it wont get reverse.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:36 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I popped the tailshaft off last night and the snap ring had popped off the reverse fork. The gear/clutch teeth look OK but I havent disassembled anything yet.

Old 10-19-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have bought other tools from them over the years (ls1 flywheel holder and timing cover alignmebt tool) and they do sell them to the public.
How much were those two items in "()"?
Old 10-19-2003, 06:59 PM
kp
8 Second Club

The flywheel holding tool (only needed on A4 cars to pull/tighten the balancer bolt) was 36.00 and the timing cover alignment tool was 120.00 or something like that. When you do C5s you dont want the timing cover seal to leak

Old 10-20-2003, 01:02 AM
I can shift faster than you.

kp, when I ordered the timing cover alignment tool it was close to $350! Maybe they came down in price. lol
Old 10-20-2003, 09:58 AM
kp
8 Second Club

There is two pieces, a plate that bolts down to pan rail to align it to the pan surface and the round tool that slides over the crank. I just got the one that slides over the crank with the two prongs. I bought that tool using a GM dealership PO though (I could be wrong on the price, been a while), there is quite a difference between retail and dealership cost I think. When I first called OTC for this puller it was 42.00, then it was 76.00, then it turned out to be 103.00 by the time it was all done so who knows. They sent the invoice and it was shipped the 16th from Georgia so it should be here today..
Old 10-20-2003, 07:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Here is a pic of the OTC puller, first thing I did was pull the 5th/6th driven gear off when it showed up this afternoon. The two shorter bolts are for the speedo gear/reluctor. Works perfect

Old 10-20-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a pic of the OTC puller, first thing I did was pull the 5th/6th driven gear off when it showed up this afternoon. The two shorter bolts are for the speedo gear/reluctor. Works perfect

*drool*

That puller will essentially do it all on the tranny, eh? I really need to buy that.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:05 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Well it will do the biggest pain in the rear thing on the t-56 anyhow. I plan on rebuilding a few local so I think its a good 100.00 investment.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I am seriously considering rebuilding my tranny after reading this thread. I am curious what Shop manual to get to aid in the project. I found 2 items that might have what I am looking for from Helm:1998 Unit Repair Manual Price: $40.00 (English, Paper, GMPT98TURM) AND
2003 Service Information CD Set Price: $300.00(English, CD ROM, GMPT02CDSI16)
Do either of these items have the necessary info that I am looking for? I would prefer the 40$ unit repair manual over the 300$ set......
Where are some good places to get replacement parts ... I saw Finish Line Performance sells some upgraded internals..... does anyone have any recommendations?
I will purchase some tools soon: snapon snap ring pliers, and the GM gear pullers, are there any other recommended tools, besides the BFH and the blue wrench ?
Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

There is free pdf manual online from tremec: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

It covers everyhting pretty well, only difference in the GM manual I noticed is it mentions to point the grooves on the syncro sliders a certain way like I posted here. Other then that if you have the pullers and pliers its easy.

I got my parts from D&D in michigan, they are a little higher then some places but they have had everything in stock and know exactly what you are talking about when you describe a part to them - thats worth an extra 10% in my book. I'm sure FLP provides good service as well, if you have the time gmpartsdirect has some good prices on certain items as well.

BTW LS1 IROCZ, I remember running against your car a couple times at a MFBA track rental (us41) a couple years ago when it was like 95 degrees. I had a red 2K z28 that was running low 13s there and ebded up with a procharger a couple months later
Old 10-29-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

You really need access to a bearing splitter and a press as well. I have one of those 20-ton Harbor Freight presses in my shop and I borrow my friend's SnapOn bearing splitter. This helps to remove the gears / sliders down low on the mainshaft (2 & 3 at least).

I'm gonna be doing 2 trannies this weekend. It's almost addictive.

-Andrew
Old 11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I have started ordering tools so I can get started soon. A thousand track miles at Road America, several hundred drag strip miles, and 30-some thousand hard street miles proved to be hard on the tranny.... but it sure was fun doing it
What do you guys think about upgrading to the viper internals?

Quick Reply: Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..