Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

High load, lost pedal pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High load, lost pedal pressure

OK I installed a new LS7 clutch kit a little while back and since I don't drive the car often I have been slowly building the miles to break it in. At about 165 miles (about 2 months of casual use) I goosed it in 2nd and short-shifted about 5k to 3rd chirping the tires. Well immediately after the pedal went to the floor. Within about 30 seconds I began to smell fluid. Sure enough it was dripping out the bellhousing weep hole.

Luckily I was able to pump up the pedal enough to get it into 4th and continue to a nearby gas station where I filled the reservoir with new fluid. This got me going again, but before long it was draining faster and faster.

I was able to safely get to a place to shut it down and figure out what happened. I'm glad I punched a hole in the floor to access the bleeder valve back when I changed the clutch.

Back when I changed the clutch and slave cyl I tightened the bleeder valve with a 1/4" socket driver thinking it wanted to be closed tight by hand and not cranked down. After it sprung the leak on Sunday I tried the socket driver again and it still felt tight. However, with a 1/4" ratchet I was easily able to turn the bleeder an additional 30 degrees or so without much effort. After bleeding it and cinching it down I had no further trouble the rest of the way home.

Cliff's Notes: tighten the bleeder valve on your slave cyl with a ratchet, not just a socket driver.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You probably just ruined your slave cylinder, the bleeder shouldn't require that much force to seal good. Hopefully you didn't ruin the clutch getting brake fluid on it.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't call a little more than snug with a 1/4" ratchet "that much".

Let's hope.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, just thought you were saying you "cranked" it down.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

I tried out the word 'cinching' in the original post. I think that's somewhere just passed snug but not as far as cranked. I certainly didn't wail on it with a 3/8" ratchet, hope nobody thinks that's what I mean.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issue. Had to tighten mine pretty good with a 3/8 ratchet to get it to stop leaking.