Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill Mod Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:29 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drill Mod Problem

The tip of the drill bit broke inside my damn line ...

It's stuck in there pretty good, and I have tried everything I can think of to get it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get it out, or know the part number of the new hose.
It's the steel braided line that runs from the master cylinder to the slave on the side of the tranny (M6).

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Drill Mod Problem

god damn! it just happened to me 5 minutes ago so i hopped on here! im looking for the line myself! heres a ttt for you! by the way are the lines the same on 98-02's ?
Old 10-11-2003, 03:27 PM

I believe so, I went to a junk yard today, and the guy brought me to 4 different trans ams ... Unfortunately, he couldn't understand that the line is only on manual tranny'd cars, and he kept bringing me to auto's. After an hour of wasting my time, he determined he didn't have it. What a waste.
I guess I will have to wait for monday for a GM parts department to open, then spend 2 hours waiting for them to figure something out.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was going to do the mod then put the car in storage tomorrow. damn! now i got to wait till monday for a dealer just to say their going to have to order it! this sucks!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I realize it probably won't work but have you tried...
liquid or some sort to fill the line and then possibly blow it out with compressed air?

Or...would a coat hanger fit in there to push it out???
I've done the drill mod but i don't exactly remember just what the line is like.

Good luck,
BobZ
Old 10-11-2003, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

A little late now maybe, but I know a lot of the "how-to's" for this mod say to use a 1/8" drill bit. I've found a 7/64" bit works better - gives more clearance on the inside of the line and you don't have the problem of the bit binding inside there.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:53 PM

I realize it probably won't work but have you tried...
liquid or some sort to fill the line and then possibly blow it out with compressed air?

Or...would a coat hanger fit in there to push it out???
I've done the drill mod but i don't exactly remember just what the line is like.

Good luck,
BobZ
Unfortunately, the other end of the line is a quick disconnect fitting that is sealed shut when the line is off the car, so you cannot force air in to shoot it out.

A little late now maybe, but I know a lot of the "how-to's" for this mod say to use a 1/8" drill bit. I've found a 7/64" bit works better - gives more clearance on the inside of the line and you don't have the problem of the bit binding inside there.
That is what I am going to do to the new line when I get it. I actually looked at the packaging of the drill bit I used and it says in big bold letters "DO NOT USE TO ENLARGE EXISTING HOLES IN METAL" ...

Old 10-11-2003, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so what type of drill bit are you guys recommending? the line seemed soft enough but then SNAP! any good high strengh drill bits out there? im not afraid to go an 1/8 i just want a good bit! this 40 dollar line will probally be 160.00 knowing gm otherwise id buy 2!
Old 10-12-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man, ive been all over the net and i cant find a single listing for the line! im surprised with the restricter in there no one comes up with a already modified line to sell. sure you could just do it yourself but if the price was reasonable why not. porting a throttle body yourself isnt as awful as it sounds but we still shell out cash for it (most of us). oh well.
my wife says why not bring it in under warranty and i said ya right "the drill bit must have been in there from the factory and finally worked its way in the line?" i laughed and called her stupid and then i slept on the couch! what a crappy weekend! last good weather days and all i can do is look at my car!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Did you guys try drilling the broken bit out with a smaller bit?
Old 10-12-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lots of effort need and the fitting is to soft. at least thats my opinion
Old 10-12-2003, 08:29 PM

Did you guys try drilling the broken bit out with a smaller bit?
The drill bit I used was a really hard one, made for drilling metal (colbolt I think) ... so it is pretty much impossible to drill out ... I tried it for a good 20 minutes and didn't seem to make any progress at all.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

just go buy another line.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:15 AM

just go buy another line.
That's the idea ... hense the "[does anyone] know the part number of the new hose. "

:p
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

called the 1st dealer and they have no listing or what or if the part comes with something else. this looks like its going to be fun
Old 10-13-2003, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

that line may only come w/ the Master cyl. I think when my friend bought his new MC it had the line. you may want to try out GMpartsdirect for it also.

JR
Old 10-13-2003, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The bit got stuck in mine also. I cut a little off the tip until we could get a grasp on the remaining part of the bit. I just made sure we didnt go past the ridge that holds the line on the master. We got the bit out and it sealed perfectly against the master. Hope this helps you. PM me if you have any other questions i could help you with.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

all hail transamjo! i am going to buy you a beer if you are ever in the rochester area! hell you can even have my wife for a night and ill spring for the room! ah screw it take my bed and ill get a room! it worked i got the bit out and finished drilling it and now its back together from hand pumping the master and flushing some fluid through it no leaks so far. i got to read some more on bench bleeding and ill update if it leaks or not when back in the car! localy the master cylinder(only way to get the hose) was 175 bucks plus a 5 day wait and they still couldnt guarentee that the hose was with it! i swear i you should be able to go into a dealership and get a part # for anything and everything that can be removed! oh well im siked and get to get on this to see if everything works out when completed! thanks again there is now hope!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well its a no go! damn felt to good to soon. when the bit broke it must have damaged the line inside of the steel braided part. damn damn damn!oh well back to the drawing board!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:05 PM

Yep, GM only sells the hose with the master, for like a buck and a quarter. I went to the junkyard, and picked one up for 40 bucks.

Btw, I noticed today, the fluid in my master cyl is BLACK, while it is supposed to be clear ... is it just because the black plastic container, or should I change it?

Also, could someone direct me towards a good writeup to bleed the system ... the GM manual's description sucks.

Quick Reply: Drill Mod Problem