Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hard getting into gears after DS breakage

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default hard getting into gears after DS breakage

long story short, i snapped my DS at the tranny yoke. Happend when launching at the track at 5k+ on DR's.

I removed the tailshaft housing to inspect it for damage, none found. When reassembling, i replaced the rear output shaft seal and the bushing.

car is back together, and when on the 1st test drive, it is sometimes really hard to get into gears, like i have to push kinda hard on the shifter. it doesnt do this to all gears consistently. sometimes it seems fine, sometimes it wont go in at all, but i found if i pumped the clutch a few times it would go in. once it is in gear, there is no grinding or new weird vibrations.

after i R&R'd the tailshaft housing, the tranny was empty for about a week while i was waiting for my new DS to come in. tranny is filled back up with syncromesh as usual.

since pumping the clutch seems to help, my first thoughts are bleeding the clutch fluid, but i dont see how clutch fluid is related to what happened.

thoughts?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's possible that the DS breakage and the fluid needing to be replaced / hydraulics needing to be rebled are just coincidentally two different issues that occured at the same time. A rebleed is simple enough and basically free, so I'd suggest starting there first.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eh, i dunno. these issues didnt exist beforehand. I'm still going to try to bleed the clutch and see if that fixes anything.

i'm looking for a more scientific explaination though. like i seriously doubt that two passes down the 1/4mi and then blowing up my DS would be enough to mess up my clutch fluid to the point of it needing to be bled.