Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange grinding noise from T56 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange grinding noise from T56 LT1

Well, I've been having this problem every so often, has been getting more often as I drive the car. Every so often when I take off in 1st gear, it makes a terrible grinding. Has happened when I've been easy on the trans, and somewhat hard, never on a launch though. The car still takes off fine, no excess vibration in the shifter or clutch pedal. Any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it a real grind or a rattle? When you apply the clutch slowly, there is achattering affect on the trans. This can excite the gears in the trans and make them rattle. It can also make metal shields and such rattle. You can make the concern a little less by letting the clutch out quicker. If it is in fact a grind you are talking about, somthing inside is broken. These are constant -mesh transmissions and a grind indicates somthing out of mesh.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's a different grind than the standard grind the trans makes. It will also happen after I have engaged the clutch all the way for a little bit while accelerating. If I back off the throttle the noise will stop, but sometimes after I start accelerating it will make the noise for a little bit longer. The part that is odd to me is it is very occasional that it happens, and isn't directly proportional to load. It has been very rarely making the noise along the past 6-8 months, but it is becoming more frequent. Still, it's probably only happened at most 30 times, so it's not very often at all.

Quick Reply: Strange grinding noise from T56 LT1