Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick master cylinder install (track review)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick master cylinder install (track review)

Stock clutch with 80k miles, stock slave (upgraded to TICK), and stock throw out bearing.

Finally got the tick mc installed Friday. The installed including removal of the old mc took me less than an hour and a half with no help. I got the Tick installed in about 5 minutes. I think the trick is to turn the mc up on it's right side and slide it in under the brake cylinder and then flip it back to the left so it lines up with the hole. Install the shaft into the car, this makes it possible to pull the shaft inside the car and thread the bolts in. I didn't install the remote bleeder yet.
I'm not sure if I fully under stand the adjustment part, here's why. No matter if it's lower to the floor or higher, it will engage at the same spot on the pedal. Obviously if it's higher there is more travel but engagement is the same. Mine grabs really high on the pedal and it takes about 2 inches to push down and the clutch is engaged. There is also little play with the engagement. The engagement is shortened so it is harder to slip. The pedal is also so much heavier to push down than the old mc too.
I went to the track the same day and the Tick mc held up great! I had a full pedal on every shift and I even overslipped the clutch to see if it would go flat and it stayed full the whole time. I made 4 back to back runs and the pedal and engagement was on fine each time. On the last run of the night my clutch started slipping so it was time to leave before I permanently broke it.
I got the tick so the pedal wouldn't go flat anymore and this has done it for me. The gear shifting is still kind of notchy and hard to get into frist gear from a stop which is probably due to my shitty hyrdraulics. I am really impressed with the unit though and would recommend it to anybody. I put 3 stock master cylinders in the car over a 2 year period and they all went out. Each mc was $100 roughly. The tick mc might seem expensive but I spent $300 on the other ones so far so you be the judge. Not to mention I got a free remote bleeder. Great job Tick!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh another good review... i can't wait to get this installed in my car.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the positive review! Keep in mind that what you're actually adjusting is the amount of fluid that the cylinder flows. Ideally, you want to flow just enough fluid to guarantee a full disengagement of your particular clutch - no more, no less. There is no way to adjust where on the pedal your particular clutch fully disengages.

That is why it is adjustable - every car/clutch setup is different, so your adjust our kit to work with your clutch!

Quick Reply: Tick master cylinder install (track review)