Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should I Replace Mainshaft? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Replace Mainshaft? *Pics*

I have been breaking down my tranny and when I took the back half of the housing off all the bearings from the reverse roller bearing fell out. Apparetnly the last snap ring before the gear broke and all the reverse stuff shifted backward. One of the spacers were completely smashed and you could tell that the other got pinched in the groove where the snap ring was. The area on the mainshaft where the bearing rides is a little rough and you can tell that there are spots where something got real hot on the mainshaft. Would I be safe just smoothing down the rough spots with emery cloth and reusing the shaft or should I replace it?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Banned

If you have access to a lathe or have a friend at a machine shop with one , use some emory cloth and polish it out .
Old 04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like it took a little heat under the REV gear. I personally wouldn't use it.. I believe D&D was selling takeout mainshafts for $99? I have 4 takeouts in my spare parts, if you're in the mid-atlantic area.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

If it can polish up, you should be good to go. Did look like some serious heat build up, but I would think you would be OK if you can polish it out.

Quick Reply: Should I Replace Mainshaft? *Pics*