Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GOT MY NEW TRANY TR6060 (T56 Magnum)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool, better to do it right the first time.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thesource
Sort of but not really. They plug directly into the diff. I see them break the tailhousing where it bolts up to the diff and snapped the output shaft in two.
Would the DTE Rear Brace help with this issue on C5's? Or is this issue more related to the overall strength of the output shaft?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nogows6
Would the DTE Rear Brace help with this issue on C5's? Or is this issue more related to the overall strength of the output shaft?

Never seen or used one but it might help out some.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
the main difference is the shifter is moved forward about 1.3"

but the crossmember is same spot as stock. you can look it up in tremec catilog.

and yes the 31 is different.

but i think the drive saft get a couple inchs added.
does it look like the shifter/handle/stick can be adjusted to fit the f-body interior/console? maybe use the MGW shifter since the handle looks pretty adjustable? i dont mind shortening the driveshaft ( i already have a PST one) and the change in the yoke is fine too. i thought they were gonna make the T56 Magnum a direct bolt in?? this kinda sux..

I am in need of a new transmission and was gonna just get a level III tick built tranny with the cryo treated internals but the T56 magnum seems like a stronger tranmission with its larger internals and stronger case..oil pump.. etc. etc.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsticksupra
does it look like the shifter/handle/stick can be adjusted to fit the f-body interior/console? maybe use the MGW shifter since the handle looks pretty adjustable? i dont mind shortening the driveshaft ( i already have a PST one) and the change in the yoke is fine too. i thought they were gonna make the T56 Magnum a direct bolt in?? this kinda sux..

I am in need of a new transmission and was gonna just get a level III tick built tranny with the cryo treated internals but the T56 magnum seems like a stronger tranmission with its larger internals and stronger case..oil pump.. etc. etc.
look at the picture below. that is the shifter mount. no way to use your mgw.

and it is a direct bolt in per say. just tremeic tryed to make it work in like anything. it is made for the f-body but by changing the shifter locastion you can use it in older cars and stuff
Attached Thumbnails GOT MY NEW TRANY TR6060 (T56 Magnum)-tr6060.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

So in that picture, seeing as they mounted the shifter in its rear most position and im also under the impression that the shifter is reversible does that mean that it will be 2 inches too short or long still from the stock f-body shifter location? Can it be adjusted to be in the stock f-body location? It looks like just the rear most tail housing is longer and the shifter and front part of the tranny looks to be about the same as a stock T56.. but thats just how it looks to me.. i wouldnt now any better

Last edited by wforty94; 08-07-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wforty94
So in that picture, seeing as they mounted the shifter in its rear most position and im also under the impression that the shifter is reversible does that mean that it will be 2 inches too short or long still from the stock f-body shifter location? Can it be adjusted to be in the stock f-body location? It looks like just the rear most tail housing is longer and the shifter and front part of the tranny looks to be about the same as a stock T56.. but thats just how it looks to me.. i wouldnt now any better
it is as far back as it will go.

to be honest give a 6months and i bet hurst of b&m will have a shifter for it that moves it back.

or i am going to try and make something like this. with a brigde style set up.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey, I'm the guy on corral who put the viper TR-6060 in my car.

To answer the question from the first page, the gears in the 6060/magnum are wider due to the synchros being a more compact design.

The shift forks in the Viper TR6060 are aluminum with plastic fork pads. I changed mine to bronze fork pads that i got from Libertys.

You guys are going to love this trans more than anything you have ever driven. The shifts are amazing! My favorite part of driving my car isn't the 620 RWHP, its shifting it. Granted, I'm running an MGW shifter so I'm sure that helps a lot.

What are you guys running in your rear end when you drop to a 2.66 first gear? I love everything about the trans, but that 2.66 first gear is a killer if you want to get some air under the front tires.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shift forks in the Viper TR6060 are aluminum with plastic fork pads. I changed mine to bronze fork pads that i got from Libertys.

If you actually had a Viper TR6060. The "plasic" fork pads you took out are far superior to bronze. The Viper is the only TR6060 that has Vespel engineered plastic pads. OOPS!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it really is a Viper TR6060. You can look at my thread on the corral and see so for yourself.

Do you have any sources to back that info up about these vespel engineered plastic pads? I sent the forks in to be cryo'd along with several other internal parts and they are the ones who suggested the bronze pads.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

^^^ makes me wonder what tremic put in the out right units like mine.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned

I'm wondering how those plastic shift keys are going to hold up in the TR6060. I know that the small teeth on the sliders are more than likely going to be like the Tremec TKO and very unforgiving.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any sources to back that info up about these vespel engineered plastic pads? I sent the forks in to be cryo'd along with several other internal parts and they are the ones who suggested the bronze pads.[/QUOTE]
Well you don't have to take my word for it . Look up Dupont Vespel and read up,see for yourself. I can tell you that the Vespel pads are proven on the Viper models and in the 24 hour of Le Mans race cars.
The forks in the TR6060 are aluminum so I don't know what they told you on cryo treatment for these but perhaps you need to check your sources.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cyro process should make those forks strong. Being aluminum, they should be light too.

I guess those are the Vespel engineered plastic pads ?

http://forums.corral.net/forums/show...&postcount=238

compliments of thesource.

Last edited by bearcatt; 08-11-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So in my quest to find how to fit the Tremec Magnum in my Camaro i found that we are screwed with making console mods among other things to get the dam thing to fit if it's dimesnsions are the same as the standard TR606 (which i believe it is). Anybody have a solution for the shifter location? any vendors care to make a stick to fit it??

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...98-camaro.html
Old 08-19-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exclamation

some ideas i have come up with for the shifter location issue with the Tremec MAGNUM in our f-body..

use this:
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...le_bracket.php
or make your own version of this but longer rearward to gain the inches needed to place the shifter back in the stock f-body location.

or maybe you can use the above with this.. or maybe this by itself since it puts the shifter a good amount rearward
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ter_handle.php

and another thing is, will the shifter base of where the stick mounts to on the Magnum shifter actually clear the f-body shifter hole in the tunnel without hitting the metal while the tranny is in 1-3-5-R? since the shifter location is moved up 2.8 inches compared to stock, right?

just an idea... you guys think it would work?

Last edited by bigsticksupra; 08-19-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any updates guys?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

yeah are there any updates on this for those who are installing the magnum in a f-body? tremec also will be offering this for the magnum..

i think that will be more than enough to offset the shifter position for installing the magnum into an f-body. if not, that shifter plus the steeda offset handle thing should do it
Old 08-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

^^^ that is bad ***.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

any updates on fitting this thing? please help

Quick Reply: GOT MY NEW TRANY TR6060 (T56 Magnum)