Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Removal of broken driveshaft yoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removal of broken driveshaft yoke

can anyone think of a way to remove the end of the DS yoke that snapped off in the transmission without removing the tailshaft?

the last time this happened to me, i removed the tailshaft, and it was such a PITA that i'd prefer to not have to do that again

the end is recessed more than you can really tell in the picture so there is nothing to grab with pliers. i tried a pen magnet, but its not strong enough. i tried taking the new yoke, and turning it into an electromagnet using some speaker wire and a battery powered jumpstarter (i'm not making this up), but that didnt seem strong enough either. i'm tempted to use my AC/DC 2/10/50amp battery charger to power the electro magnet, but i dont exactally want to start any fires.

maybe i can get some small screws in it so i can pull it out with pliers... but it's a cryo treated yoke, so i dunno if its too hard for any kind of screw to go into it.

any suggestions?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what you can try is this:
Start the car up, put it in gear (make sure everyone is standing back JUST to be safe) and put it in 1st gear, let clutch out for a second to get it to turn over, clutch it, kill motor. CHeck on status of yoke. With some luck, the roatation of it, will start to feed it out of the rear of the tranny. If not, try it again, but maybe 2nd gear (to get it to spin a little quicker) or even reverseJUST MAKE SURE no one is around, and you don't get nuts with engine/tranny speed. It COULD become a projectile missle. But, if you stick with lower speeds, and be cautious, you will be fine.

Edit: By the way, this being 2nd time this happened...you think it is time to upgrade? LOL
Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any way to get, say, a small hooked dental pick in behind it, and pull it out that way?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
Edit: By the way, this being 2nd time this happened...you think it is time to upgrade? LOL
it is a 1000+ hp rated 3.5" shaft by PST. i believe the reason it broke is because my torque arm mount came loose (which also broke this time)

ill try your idea... but im not feeling optimistic

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Is there any way to get, say, a small hooked dental pick in behind it, and pull it out that way?
no, the bushing is in the way, and you cant remove the bushing till the DS yoke is out

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 06-13-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
it
ill try your idea... but im not feeling optimistic

haha. Well, all you can do is try said teh Lil Train
Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the tailhousing off the trans and use a puller. Probably going to be your best bet at this point. That way you can look for broken pieces inside the case.

Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like said above just pull off the tail shaft housing.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Pull the tailhousing off the trans and use a puller. Probably going to be your best bet at this point. That way you can look for broken pieces inside the case.

Mike
Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
Like said above just pull off the tail shaft housing.
yes, i understand that i can pull off the tailshaft, and i've already done that once. but as stated in my first post, i DO NOT want to pull off the tailshaft except as a last resort. if the yoke comes out in one piece and the end of it is not missing any pieces, there will be no reason to pull off the tailshaft.

Last edited by slayer_taunu; 06-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess you must have exhaust or something in the way. I can pull mine off in about 15 min. I see no other way with it broke off so far in there.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Red face

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
no, the bushing is in the way, and you cant remove the bushing till the DS yoke is out
You have two holes on either side of the bushing. I don't have a trans. at my office. but I think you may be able to accomplish going outside the bushing, and pushing the yoke from inside the bushing.
____ YOKE
/
| ========bushing========
\_______________________hook/pick

I could be wrong, but I would try before ruling it out.

PS: divorced Tq. Arm mount time!

Quick Reply: Removal of broken driveshaft yoke