Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A4 to M6 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conversion

so, about how much total should it cost to change from a A4 to a M6 in a 2002 Camaro Z28? if this should be posted somewhere else lemme know!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Teching In

You would be better off just trying to sell your car and find a six speed to buy. Or see if you can find someone willing to swap cars with you. Quite honestly swapping a manual in place of the automatic is gonna be no fun.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

It'd be the cost of the transmission, probably ECU, not sure if both transmissions are the same length, so you might need a different driveshaft, plus labor and other misc parts that you'd need.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn
Old 11-18-2003, 02:56 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Just find a wrecked 98+ with a 6 speed.

Yes, you'll pay $$$ for it, but you'll have a spare LS1 engine, all the tranny parts you'll need, a spare rearend, etc etc.

The driveshafts will interchange.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:22 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cost would be minimal if you found some one looking to get rid of there 6spd NVMYSS is trying to sell his eventually. He going with a 200r4 or some thing. You are better off getting the wiring harness and ECM and petals there is some other things but it is not too bad. You would be better off selling and buying your car if you are not planning on doing the work yourself I know I would not do it real cheap. And if you have never done that kind of work it is not some thing you want to just try for fun. There are a few people on this board that have traded so it is not unherd of just post it in the regional section closest to you that way you can trade everything you need with each other. Just my thoughts on the matter. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and by the way the drive shafts lengths are the same.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this in my 93 TA it isn't necessarily hard...BUT your car is bone stock you really would be better off selling it and buying a T56. My 93 had heads, cam, headers, Paint, etc, etc so selling it and getting a M6 car would have been difficult.....

You should be able to get a setup for around 1500 dollars ALOT of LS1 guys are racers and sell there T56 stuff and get Turbo 400's.

I don't know on LS1's but on the LT1 the PCM and ECM were the same the program was just different. Most of the wiring was easy except for the Reverse lockout, which I just shoved into gear instead of wiring it up. Feel free to ask any questions I've done 2 of these on LT1's. The driveshafts are the same the tranny mounts are the same. The crossmember is different. Computer and harness are probably the same as well except for a few wiring changes...

Bobby
Old 11-19-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The harness is different but probably not necesary(sp). You would cut whole in tunnel bolt up tranny and pedals, drill whole for slave, use same drive shaft and rear end. With out using the m6 harness the only thing that i can think of that wouldnt work would be the skip shift and reverse lockout. If you dont use the m6 harness you probably wouldnt need to reflash your pcm for m6. Dont take the electrical part to heart, its just what i think. I think someone on this board is using a m6 with a4pcm.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The harness is different but probably not necesary(sp). You would cut whole in tunnel bolt up tranny and pedals, drill whole for slave, use same drive shaft and rear end. With out using the m6 harness the only thing that i can think of that wouldnt work would be the skip shift and reverse lockout. If you dont use the m6 harness you probably wouldnt need to reflash your pcm for m6. Dont take the electrical part to heart, its just what i think. I think someone on this board is using a m6 with a4pcm. You can get slave pedals, and t56 for $1500.

Quick Reply: A4 to M6 conversion