Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Carnage T56

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark-LS1
About Morris Motorsports. I have nothing but good things to say. Derrick has been very helpful to say the least. He updates before I can even ask for one. Sends pictures.. And he knows his stuff. He is highly recommended to work with. I got a monster stage 3 clutch and lightweight flywheel from him as well.

Thanks DarkLS1 for the kind words. I try and update our customers in teh morning on what is going on, through email/PM's, and include pics to show why we need to do this or that, or what we found wrong. We strive to provide the ABSOLUTE BEST customer service, bar none, that we can. Period.

If at anytime, you have questions or concerns, drop me a PM/email, and will get back to you ASAP, or call us (which will get a quicker response).

Again, many thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I have seen the rtv applied two ways. which do you recommend. A small bead all the way around or a very thin layer smeared onto the surface.
a old mopar trans guy old me to smear it because the bead could move and cause air pockets that would leak

I like to smear it, and the smaller the amount, the better. You want enough (obviously) for complete coverage so no leaks, but you don't want too much that can "squish" over into the tranny. Basically, if you place it on there, and you put it together, and the stuff squishes out, you have too much. A little run over, is ok. Just remember, if it squishes OUT, that it is probaly squishing IN, and ends up inside the tranny like this one.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I have seen the rtv applied two ways. which do you recommend. A small bead all the way around or a very thin layer smeared onto the surface.
a old mopar trans guy old me to smear it because the bead could move and cause air pockets that would leak

These T56 trannys will almost seal on thier own.

A small bead is sufficient, but smearing a thin layer is better, sort of like a gasket.

Areas where the tranny cases aren't smooth might need a little more RTV.

For those that can't help over doing the RTV, put the RTV further away from the inner edge of the case so the excess beads on the outside.

The pictures that GEN414 posted gives he impression that the person attempting to build that tranny was having a hard time installing the main case over the shiftrail and bumping the shift interlock. Rather than cleaning the RTV off and starting it over, they person just added more RTV.

It appears, whoever was working on that tranny was incompetent, didn't care or was a unsupervised apprentice.

I went through a big learning curve with these T-56 trannies. I had to do it a few times before I had a decent grasp on how to perform the assembly correctly. I even had some PM help from Mike85TPI on here.

Last edited by bearcatt; 08-07-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Any of you guys have any suggestions on the easiest way to check the play on the Mainshaft?

I mentioned that I had a Dial Gauge, I just don't have the kit to go with it to set it up..I'll probably need it.

How are you guys supporting the Transmissions to move the Input Shaft up?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

that sucks darkls1! when I had my t56 rebuilt I first looked around locally but after getting responses like 'your transmission doesn't have a reverse synchro' and 't56 -thats a 5 speed right?' I decided to ship it out to a well known shop. I'm glad to hear you atleast got SOME of your money back with ease but really that shop should be footin the bill to have it done RIGHT elsewhere. GL!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
Any of you guys have any suggestions on the easiest way to check the play on the Mainshaft?

I mentioned that I had a Dial Gauge, I just don't have the kit to go with it to set it up..I'll probably need it.

How are you guys supporting the Transmissions to move the Input Shaft up?

Picked this up from Harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5645

A little bit of creativity, have a hole drilled in my work bench, blocks of wood.

Used strips of steel to temporarily bolt on to the tranny so the mulitpositional magnetic base could affix itself.

My countershaft and mainshaft were at .002 of an inch.

I did have to add shims to the tail housing however.

This article gave me ideas.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ld/repair.html

There are some knowledgable tranny guys here that will always be glad to help too.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

I got an idea..

Currently I have it bolted to the Bell Housing with a small part of a 2X4 under each side of it so that gives me the clearance I need to work with the Input Shaft in it.

I'm going to put a couple more 2X4's under it enough to where I can get a Pry-bar under the end of the Input Shaft. I'm going to Ratchet-strap the whole setup to the Bench, that way it doesn't go anywhere when I pry up on the Shaft to see how much it moves.

I'm going to go to Sears later today and find a Dial Indicator Kit they have that's attached to Vice Grips and flexes. I'll use that real quick and bring it back.

It looks like this one..

Attached Thumbnails Carnage T56-tool.jpg  
Old 08-07-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

There you go, I sounds like you've got it figured out.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Yup.

If I find a good one I might keep it though instead of bringing it back..it'll be about $50.

Dammit I hate useful tools..
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Merv, the ONLY thing I see wrong with your setup is the tranny moving some with that ratchet strap (if I am understanding your setup clearly). Dealing with so little movement anyways (.00x) and you try and get a reading, tranny moves, might get a "false" reading.
But, again, I could not be "seeing" what you are planning on doing (or how) and totally misunderstanding you?????
Old 08-07-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
I got an idea..

Currently I have it bolted to the Bell Housing with a small part of a 2X4 under each side of it so that gives me the clearance I need to work with the Input Shaft in it.

I'm going to put a couple more 2X4's under it enough to where I can get a Pry-bar under the end of the Input Shaft. I'm going to Ratchet-strap the whole setup to the Bench, that way it doesn't go anywhere when I pry up on the Shaft to see how much it moves.
I found that the pry bar gave too much error. I grabbed a craftsmen bench, 1-ton bottle jack, some boards and a hole saw, and made this little setup:

With the dial-gage on the trans case, it moves along with the trans, so only the end-play of the shafts is recorded, very repeatable.

HTH
mike
Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty much the same idea I have in a way.

I'll have to snap a pic of it when I get it setup. I understand the Ratchet Strap moving a little bit.. but I like to tighten the **** out of them so I think it'll work.

We'll see what happens fellas..
Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Banned

how much hp can a stock t-56 handle and is it worth swaping my a4 for one
Old 08-28-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by devilssled
how much hp can a stock t-56 handle..
Depends on what you plan on doing with it and how hard you drive it..

is it worth swaping my a4 for one
YES.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

how much hp can a stock t-56 handle and is it worth swaping my a4 for one

It can handle alot of abuse, but there ARE weak links that wil give up rather easily...stock nylon/plastic fork pads and stock shift keys. Those 2 are teh MOST problematic.

I am in teh middle of another T56 rebuild, and the pads were trashed, here is a pic of what was left of teh pads (keeping in mind there are SUPPOSED to be 8 pads total)

Rest of em were pulverized into mush

Quick Reply: Carnage T56