Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse lockout solenoid. How does it work??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Merv. I wound up just wiring the 2 step off the ppl/wht wire on the clutch switch. I do appreciate the great info. This will be great info when searched in the future.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

am i late to the show,
is that for a 99 up????

Originally Posted by the_merv
Yes, run the Pin C gray wire to PCM Blue Connector, Pin # 32, and Pin D ground to a good spot on the Chassis.

Now with Pin A and Pin B, here's what you do..

Take a look at the switch # 27 there in the diagram and find it on your Petals. Take one of the Wires and clip it about 3" away from the Connector(basically give yourself enough to splice it to another wire). Now with that one wire you clipped, run that to Pin A on the Clutch Anticipation Switch Connector and splice it in. With Pin B, splice that to the other clipped wire.

Doing this will make this a series circuit, and when you push the Clutch it will disengage the cruise, as well as if you push in the Brake too.

Refer to this edited diagram if you need to..

This is the same way I did it, except I used the single Switch on the Brake Petal, moved that over to the Clutch Petal, and re-wired the TCC Switch Connector into the Cruise disengage for the Brake Petal..works flawlessly.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Heres what alldata says about an '01 :

Reverse Inhibit Description and Operation
The reverse inhibit solenoid is a safety feature which prevents an inadvertent shift into reverse at speeds above 5 km/h (3 mph) . The system consists of the following components:

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) .
The reverse inhibit solenoid.
With the ignition ON battery voltage is supplied directly to the reverse inhibit solenoid. At forward speeds above 5 km/h (3 mph) the PCM grounds the control circuit of the reverse inhibit solenoid. This energizes the solenoid and mechanically blocks the shift lever from going into the REVERSE position.

And heres the wiring diagram:

This is the way the 98's function as well as the old LT1 stuff also...

Your diagram just helped me fix my reverse lockout solenoid problem I've been having for months! Went right to the Eng Sen fuse and it was blown! Never thought to check it, but replaced it with a new fuse, and walla, it works! I'm surprised no other codes were thrown with it blown, lucky.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo yo yo...digging this back up...got a quick question....appears like the clutch pedal switch wire (blue-32) controls what looks like the cruise control and the reverse lockout on the t56...rite now i dont care bout the cruise control...i'm trying to wire stuff up so i can go into reverse accordingly without rigging up a power source directly to the reverse lockout...i'd like for the pcm to do the work...from what i've read in this thread and from the alldata schematic....this is what i've gotten from this thread...

1. the solenoid is wired to power source and pcm gives it ground if u're moving more than 3mph...thus causing u not to be able to go into reverse easily...
2. #1 works in conjunction with the clutch pedal switch (blue-32)....not sure if i'm reading the alldata schematic correctly but is it providing ground or power to blue-32???? from the schematic and what has been mentioned it seem the switch is a normal closed switch and it goes open....

but this kinda don't make no sense to me...btw this is not on an fbody car...if it's normally close switch that goes open and under 3mph i should be able to go into reverse easily correct???

my current situation is i have not wired the blue-32 to anything...so it's open rite???? and i'm at a stop....so i meet both the n.o. and under 3mph....yet i'm having trouble going into reverse still...

so i guess my question is...

a. for blue-32 going to clutch pedal...is the switch going from normally close to open or the other way around???
b. other side of the clutch switch...is it going to ground or +12v???
c. i guess this really isn't a question but rather what i need to do...need to vfy the other wire going to reverse lock out is getting power....i'm using a stock efi harness...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6pewter
How would you fix one that on occasion does not work?
Any one know ?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Clutch pedal position has nothing to do with the function of the reverse lockout solenoid. If so, it would activate the solenoid every time the clutch was depressed. This can easily be tested with the car off, ignition off...regardless of clutch pedal position the reverse lockout will block you from going into reverse (because there is no power supply with the ignition off). With the ignition on, the solenoid opens allowing the shifter to move into reverse....with or without the clutch being pressed down.

The pcm does supply the ground, and it grounds the circuit based on vehicle speed. I believe it grounds the lockout solenoid at speeds of 5 mph or below.
Hi Jonathan.
I have a T56 swap in my Subaru, and I didn't connect anything in the reverse lockout conector.. so, in high speed, when I will put 5th, sometimes almost enter reverse...
how should I do to work? should put 12v and a switch in reverse lockout? thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Reverse lockout solenoid. How does it work??