Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Monster clutch and new problems arose

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Is it possible to measure without removing the bell housing? I'm planning on pulling the trans only, throwing the shim in and then reinstalling it. I want to work fast because if it doesn't work then I should have time to pull the trans again and get started on the next idea.
You don't have to remove the bell housing. Heres a thread we started describing how to measure: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to measure without removing the bell housing? I'm planning on pulling the trans only, throwing the shim in and then reinstalling it. I want to work fast because if it doesn't work then I should have time to pull the trans again and get started on the next idea.
Yes. In fact, you kind of have to measure with it installed so you can get an accurate read on the installed distance between the tips pressure plate fingers and the face of the bellhousing where it meets the transmission. The distance you measure between the faceplate of the trans and the face of the throwout bearing is measured with the trans out but the slave bolted on to the trans.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound good, I'll be sure to take the measurements while it's apart.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick

Since you state that the engine bumps the rev limiter even when the pedal is released and the gear is selected would make me think that the pressure plate isn't returning for some odd reason. With the spring under the dash removed the only thing that returns the pedal with our cylinder is the pp springs. Unless there was a severe amount of air in the system, the pedal should come up with our cylinder.

Its very strange that you say the clutch seems to still be dissengaged after the pedal is released. That would definately be something going on with the pressure plate and that would also be why the pedal doesn't return.
This is what I am leaning to.

If you are hitting rev limiter, with pedal released, teh PP is clearly not disengaging. Now, is it the PP's fault or is teh slave/MC sticking and keeping teh PP disengaged?
Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
You don't have to remove the bell housing. Heres a thread we started describing how to measure: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
how do u figure u dont have to remove the bell?? pretty sure u do or how else would u get your A & B measurement
Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 AM

^The trans has to be removed, but the bell housing stays bolted to the motor. The A measurement is from the fingers of the pressure plate, where the throw out bearing touches, to the part of the bell housing that touches the trans. The B measurement is from the fully compressed contact side of the throw out bearing to the part of the trans that touches the bell housing.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

If your issue happens in every gear it could be the clutch itself.
So sorry for you trouble, What a friggin headache. Good Luck
Old 09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Teching In

Pull your clutch and check the disk. I'll bet it warped like a dome so it wouldn't release in the first place. Then you installed the Tick m/c to get it to release and now with the added fluid volume/slave travel to get it to release your over extending the diaphragm spring causing the hangup when you mash the clutch to power shift.

Anyway just some food for thought.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:52 AM

13 days and still no replacement clutch. I was hoping to have an update for you guys by now and some track numbers on friday, but I won't be able to make it to the rental at this point. Is it taking this long for everyone to recieve theirs?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was talking to Steve and ended up sending mine back to them for inspection, should be received today. He sent me a pre paid shipping label so all i had to do was pack it up and drop it off. Had some troubles with getting the label no thanks to UPS.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 AM

Ok, it was just delivered. Will the new clutch be ok with the flywheel from the last one? It has over 500 miles (break in miles) on it. I'm assuming I don't have to get it resurfaced. I just don't want to have it fail prematurely and then find out that it was expected that I would have the flywheel resurfaced before installing it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Glad you got it in. You gonna put it in while I'm gone? (currently I'm sitting in TGIFridays at Newark airport waiting for my flight and figured I'd check up)
Old 09-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Trust me it took 6 weeks and three different friction disk and two pressure plates. On top of that I had to mod the new factory master, making it adjustible to get an extra 1/8in of piston travel for everything to work.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by s.r.e.
Trust me it took 6 weeks and three different friction disk and two pressure plates. On top of that I had to mod the new factory master, making it adjustible to get an extra 1/8in of piston travel for everything to work.
Were these all Monster clutch parts?
Old 09-21-2009, 11:09 PM

I installed the new pressure plate and friction disk tonight. Since I wasn't sent a flywheel and was given no instructions for it, I'm assuming that I was supposed to reuse the flywheel without resurfacing it.

The install went smoothly except that one of the bolt holes in the pressure plate wasn't even close to big enough and had to be opened up a bit.

The trans seems to go into reverse without being finicky now, so that's a good sign. Also, the pedal is MUCH harder than it was with the old pressure plate. I'm not sure how hard it's supposed to be since this is my first time with this brand, but comparing the new to the old, it feels like the old was was broken it was so easy by comparison. I'm assuming that's a good sign.

I measured for a shim and, if anything, it seems like the A and B measurements were pretty much the same so I did not install a shim.

Now I have to put 500 break in miles on it before I know if my problem is fixed. I'll let you guys know.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
FormerVendor

, I'm assuming that I was supposed to reuse the flywheel without resurfacing it.

yes, correct.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

I can't wait to see how it shifts once you've got it broken in. Hopefully we can get my car fixed and yours broken in in time to hit up the track before the end of the season.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Were these all Monster clutch parts?
Yes those were all monster pieces. I got a stage 3 to start with a HD pressure plate and ceramic 6 puck disk. Then after the first phone call they shipped out a new disk and a extreme pressure plate. When it arrived I checked the disk and it was warp a little bit still. I installed it anyway, I was getting tired of looking at my car for 4 weeks. Still didn't work. I was going to just send it back, but Steve overnight-ed another disk that showed up flat.

Now after all that I've ended up with a stage 5 package and couldn't be happier with it. A little overkill for my car, but it drives nice and grabs like a pissed off badger. Sometimes the end result is worth the hassle. Well almost...
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

I installed the new pressure plate and friction disk tonight. Since I wasn't sent a flywheel and was given no instructions for it, I'm assuming that I was supposed to reuse the flywheel without resurfacing it.

The install went smoothly except that one of the bolt holes in the pressure plate wasn't even close to big enough and had to be opened up a bit.

The trans seems to go into reverse without being finicky now, so that's a good sign. Also, the pedal is MUCH harder than it was with the old pressure plate. I'm not sure how hard it's supposed to be since this is my first time with this brand, but comparing the new to the old, it feels like the old was was broken it was so easy by comparison. I'm assuming that's a good sign.

I measured for a shim and, if anything, it seems like the A and B measurements were pretty much the same so I did not install a shim.

Now I have to put 500 break in miles on it before I know if my problem is fixed. I'll let you guys know.
Originally Posted by s.r.e.
Yes those were all monster pieces. I got a stage 3 to start with a HD pressure plate and ceramic 6 puck disk. Then after the first phone call they shipped out a new disk and a extreme pressure plate. When it arrived I checked the disk and it was warp a little bit still. I installed it anyway, I was getting tired of looking at my car for 4 weeks. Still didn't work. I was going to just send it back, but Steve overnight-ed another disk that showed up flat.

Now after all that I've ended up with a stage 5 package and couldn't be happier with it. A little overkill for my car, but it drives nice and grabs like a pissed off badger. Sometimes the end result is worth the hassle. Well almost...
I apologize to both of you for the troubles and I'm glad we got you taken care of.

If anyone else has any questions just give us a shout, all of the pressure plate defects are finally behind us!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 PM

I got about 150 miles on the new setup so far. My brothers are going to rack up some more for me over the next 5 days, and then I'll be off for 5 days, so I'll finish up the break in and then I'll beat the **** out of it and report back

Quick Reply: Installed Monster clutch and new problems arose