Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing, I put the mity vac on it last night. I bumped it up to 10-12 hg and let it sit for a minute. Then I got in the car and hit the clutch and saw an air bubble and checked the gauge and it had dropped to 8 hg and was dropping more and more as I pumped the pedal.

I do remember having an extremely hard time pushing the quick disconnect back in to the slave. After I thought I got it in, I tried pulling back on the line and it wouldn't come out so I assumed it was all the way in. Maybe it isn't completely plugged in, but if that was the case wouldn't it shoot fluid all over the place?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue with my ls7 clutch ever since I put it in even before I put my 9in. w/ locker in..(wich the locker gave me even more problems)
Sounds like the self adjusting crap on the LS7 is giving you hell.. Wich it did for me also.. Glad I finally destroyed mine..
IMO there are 2 things I'v learned "not to do"
1-buy a ls7 clutch
2-put a locker in a 6 speed car
Although many people have had good luck with both of those combinations, I personally havent had good luck with either..
If I was you, I would try to sell the Ls7 while its still new and try your luck with another brand or model of clutch.
Just my 2 cents tho..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I know Im late to the thread, and Im not sure if its been asked, but has the pilot bearing been replaced? if that was hanging up would it not spin the input shaft after the clutch was released? I dont know if you have replaced it or not but its just a thought. I could be completely wrong though.

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Im just starting to get this problem in my car. Although I havent done anything to it yet. Only started today and I was driving it pretty hard. Anyway good luck with the trouble shooting.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Car was brought to me to look at. I drove the car several times and found no real issue. Car drove better than most LS7 setups I have done. Most LS7 clutches engage right at the bottom but with the adjustable master it was perfect right in the middle. Car shifted great running through the gears. At stops it was perfect if you push in the clutch, come to a stop and then take off. The only thing that didn't feel like stock was if you are sitting in neutral with clutch out and you immediately push in the clutch and shift to first real fast you feel a hesitation in the shifter. It hesitated less than a second and fell right into first.

When sitting in neutral with the foot off the clutch the input shaft and clutch disk are spinning at engine rpm. When you push in the clutch and put it in first the blocking ring has to stop the input shaft and clutch disk. The hesitation is the time it took to stop them. I didn't see a real problem but I am use to a Vette running a triple disk. Mine does the same thing. Vettes have to stop the drive shaft and the clutch disk. The triple disk weighs more than the stock unit causing the trans to take longer to stop the assembly.

My diagnosis is the blocking rings are worn and a trans rebuild would improve if not solve this issue.

If you can not live with the hesitation then I would suggest the overhaul. I am a RPM Transmission dealer if you end up wanting a transmission.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/fbodypricing.html
Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02402RAMAIR
Car was brought to me to look at. I drove the car several times and found no real issue. Car drove better than most LS7 setups I have done. Most LS7 clutches engage right at the bottom but with the adjustable master it was perfect right in the middle. Car shifted great running through the gears. At stops it was perfect if you push in the clutch, come to a stop and then take off. The only thing that didn't feel like stock was if you are sitting in neutral with clutch out and you immediately push in the clutch and shift to first real fast you feel a hesitation in the shifter. It hesitated less than a second and fell right into first.

When sitting in neutral with the foot off the clutch the input shaft and clutch disk are spinning at engine rpm. When you push in the clutch and put it in first the blocking ring has to stop the input shaft and clutch disk. The hesitation is the time it took to stop them. I didn't see a real problem but I am use to a Vette running a triple disk. Mine does the same thing. Vettes have to stop the drive shaft and the clutch disk. The triple disk weighs more than the stock unit causing the trans to take longer to stop the assembly.

My diagnosis is the blocking rings are worn and a trans rebuild would improve if not solve this issue.

If you can not live with the hesitation then I would suggest the overhaul. I am a RPM Transmission dealer if you end up wanting a transmission.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/fbodypricing.html
Interesting (yet not surprising) findings.

Quick Reply: Clutch Dragging?