Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which shifter?
Learn how to drive....lol
47.87%
Hurst billet plus(owned/loved and never had a prob)
23.40%
B&M
13.83%
Other..MGW(sp) or whatever else you can think of
14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Pro 5.0 sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the pro 5.0 was in my car i had to concentrate sooo hard on the 2-3 shift. i can shift a bone stock (non hurst) better than the 5.0. I was super hapy when it came out of my car!!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to try another shifter just to see how it's different. I havent missed a shift with my pro 5.0, but I never did with the hurst either. Did I have the billet pro hurst? I bought it for my LT1 car back in '02 from summit. I remember it feeling really firm.

Honestly though, using the palm out shifting method I can shift it like an auto from 2-3 and 3-4. Give it a try! My whole shifting setup is pretty short though. The shift **** looks like the OEM hurst shift **** with the H on it. That combined with the short stick has the shift **** all the way down onto the shift boot. Looks pretty unassuming.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The thing I find with my PRO 5.0 is that it wont center itself between gears 3-4 if I have the shifter moved all the way to the left (drivers side) BUT- If I have it all to way to the right (passengers side) and I let it go, it automaticaly goes to the center, where it should be!

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

yeah get a B&M ripper! i had a few different shifters on the car, the pro 5.0 was too notchy
Old 10-01-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do any of you guys with Pro 5.0 shifters have pics of how to mod the spring to center the stick in the 3-4 gate or a pn for the Hurst Springs?
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send it off to Pro 5.0 for a rebuild! Best $38 you'll ever spend.

My Pro 5.0 had a centering problem like many people on here. Weak springs I guess. If I moved it from nuetral to the left gate, it would only come halfway back to center. So I decided to pull it apart and rebuild it myself. After I rebuilt it, it wouldn't even attempt to come back to the middle gate. It was like it had no spring at all. I'm not really sure how you can mess that up either. There's not much to it. But I had no choice but to send it off to Pro 5.0 for a rebuild. Cost me 38 bucks shipped there and back and this thing ROCKETS back to center everytime! That was three years ago. It's still notchy but it feels like a completely different shifter since then. I have gone from the factory Hurst to the Pro 5.0 and back three times over the last 9 years. I have always gone back to the pro after a week or two. I LOVE the smoothness of the factory Hurst (no nothiness at all) but the throw is way too long. The Pro takes some focus but is much faster in my opinion. My turbos will lose spool if I don't shift fast enough so it's important for me to stay in my powerband and keep a load on the motor.

If you're going for comfort, do the factory Hurst. If you're trying to win a race, go for the Pro. It's kind of like trying to have a girlfriend AND a wife; you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to decide which one is right for YOU and don't look back.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B&M Ripper, never a problem, 2nd SS, 2ND Ripper!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, I voted you can't drive, but I know that's not really the case...and I won't get inot this shifter is better than that, because the Pro 5.0 and the stock non-hurst are the only ones I've owned, but: I think the below quote is really your problem, not your driving:

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Its retarded that you have to think as hard about each shift as you do with the Pro 5.0. That **** should be almost automatic, smooth, and percise like the billet plus was.
See with the the Pro 5.0...You can't think, just push the shifter and let the mechanism do it's job. I seriously can shift my Pro 5.0 with one finger 1st through 4th gear. One of these days I'll video that and post up...but I'm dead serious.

The problem is when you start power shifting or even shifting fast you have to still let the shifter do its job...In an effort to be fast, people tend to hit the shifter in a way that forces it out of it's natural movement and then they have issues with the shift. Here's what I do:

1-2 Shift: Palm towards me thumb on the top of the shifter
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing the stick to the right

2-3 Shift: Palm on the back of the shifter and push straight up
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing right or pulling left it will just slide right up into third with no need for any lateral force whatsoever

3-4 Shift: Palm away from me, thumb pointing down along the stick
-- This prevents you from accidentally pull the stick toward you and dropping to second

I've never missed a shift with the above method

I'll admit the Pro 5.0 is very notchy, but I actually kind of like it.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28ss4me

1-2 Shift: Palm towards me thumb on the top of the shifter
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing the stick to the right

2-3 Shift: Palm on the back of the shifter and push straight up
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing right or pulling left it will just slide right up into third with no need for any lateral force whatsoever

3-4 Shift: Palm away from me, thumb pointing down along the stick
-- This prevents you from accidentally pull the stick toward you and dropping to second
This is what everyone that I know that can shift worth a **** does. The problem with the pro 5.0, is that on that 2-3 shift, if you push straight up, you hit the spot right in between 1 and 3. That is exactly what everyone is complaining about, is that the shifter doesn't center itsself.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

If you need a spring to center your shift you are shifting too slow
practice makes perfect
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tudds
practice makes perfect
I've practiced plenty, and I can powershift using the centering spring. The absolute secret to not missing the 2-3 shift, is letting the shifter do part of the work. If you try and force it, you ARE going to miss shifts.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I noticed people mentioning the cetering spring, but honestly mine is 5 year strong now and centers like it always did...i dunno maybe I've got the best pro 5.0 ever made, but I've never remotely had a problem hitting the gate between 1 and 3.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

i loved my pro 5.0 in my 97. went from stock to it and loved it. light years better. it was knotchy but i liked it. as far as the others go i havent tried them but i didnt really have a problem with my 5.0
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pro 5.o w/lous short stick FTW!
LoL ....jk but the pro 5.0 is the best shifter on the market and anyone that doesn't agree just doesn't know. Go check with the 9 and 10 second guys what shifter they have. Did you buy your shifter used? Maybe it's time to send it back for a rebuild. On there site they garen-dam-tee that you won't miss the 3-4 shift or aleast they use to. It could be your hydrolics/slave or clutch that is causing the problem. Many others and myself power shift with this shifter at 7000+rpm with no worries. We wouldn't be doing that if we were missing gears all the time.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I have and been driving M6 f-bods for 13yrs. This thing sucks and its not about personal pref. The ******* thing is horrible.
It took me about 2 days to get used to my Pro 5.0. I ran it for almost a year with the stick that comes with it then I cut the stick down and put a WS6 store ball on it. I never miss a 2-3 shift and I don't think I've missed a 3-4 shift in my life. I have 3 friends that all have Pro 5.0's and 1 of them feels like mine. The other 2 feel different. They are mushier and the spring doesn't feel as stiff. I think the individual units may vary. Mine is an older one I bought used. The other 2 that feel different are fairly new.

The second run is powershifting 1-2/2-3/3-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaL7o...eature=channel
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

what was i listening for again???? sorry all caught up in the damn sound. car sounds amazing inside! you got some outside videos too?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Restricted User

who sells the MGW shift any store link for the MGW shifter , ?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

I have a hurst billet with a short stick that I made, it's the only aftermarket shifter Ive ever had in any of my Fbody's
Old 10-05-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rukus1_one
nothing better than the factory hurst!!
Originally Posted by SIC LSX
Factory Hurst here with UMI short stick. When i shift it sounds like a auto
You two are insane. That floppy piece of plastic? Oy. I hated that thing.

Originally Posted by KCC455
MGW Shifter for a F-body? I searched for MGW and found their website and they sell shifters for Corvettes and Mustangs. Will the Corvette shifter fit a F-body?
Thank you.
Originally Posted by SSmokin99
Where's the cheapest place to get a MGW shifter? My shifter sucks ***!
Originally Posted by Lawnboy
who sells the MGW shift any store link for the MGW shifter , ?
Call them. Only way to order it and takes literally 2 minutes.

Originally Posted by Tudds
practice makes perfect
Yea sure.

The centering action difference between a 5.0 and a MGW is insane. The only way to know the difference is to try them both and literally compare them. MGW is far smoother as well especially for a DD car.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Im runnin a pro 5.0 right now in my car and I will admit during normal driving it is a little notchy. But when Im makin a pass I have never had a problem with it, a good friend of mine made a pass at the track in it and he really liked the shifter. He said he liked it better than his hurst, but everyone is different.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 sucks