Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which shifter?
Learn how to drive....lol
47.87%
Hurst billet plus(owned/loved and never had a prob)
23.40%
B&M
13.83%
Other..MGW(sp) or whatever else you can think of
14.89%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Pro 5.0 sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
Ok, I voted you can't drive, but I know that's not really the case...and I won't get inot this shifter is better than that, because the Pro 5.0 and the stock non-hurst are the only ones I've owned, but: I think the below quote is really your problem, not your driving:

See with the the Pro 5.0...You can't think, just push the shifter and let the mechanism do it's job. I seriously can shift my Pro 5.0 with one finger 1st through 4th gear. One of these days I'll video that and post up...but I'm dead serious.

The problem is when you start power shifting or even shifting fast you have to still let the shifter do its job...In an effort to be fast, people tend to hit the shifter in a way that forces it out of it's natural movement and then they have issues with the shift. Here's what I do:

1-2 Shift: Palm towards me thumb on the top of the shifter
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing the stick to the right

2-3 Shift: Palm on the back of the shifter and push straight up
-- This prevents you from accidentally pushing right or pulling left it will just slide right up into third with no need for any lateral force whatsoever

3-4 Shift: Palm away from me, thumb pointing down along the stick
-- This prevents you from accidentally pull the stick toward you and dropping to second

I've never missed a shift with the above method

I'll admit the Pro 5.0 is very notchy, but I actually kind of like it.
Thats the problem the shifter doesnt do its job and you HAVE to think about it.
I never had this problem b4 and didnt have this problem when it was new.
I even shifted my cat back only LT1 to a 13.3 with it, and thats pretty amazing for an LT1 car
I loved the shifter when it was new and dont mind it being notchy. The thing is just not working correct anymore. Worked when I put the car away for winter and just sucked when I pulled it back out for spring.
Maybe Ill send it in for replacement springs like mentioned above.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RARON455
When I first got my T/A and found this site, I bought into all the hype about the pro 5.0 I ran it for about 6 months, and yes I missed gears with it. Its not a driving thing its a shifter thing. I got tired of it and heard about the MGW and figured I would give it a try. I bought my MGW shifter and ended up selling my pro 5.0. You can not even compare the two. The mgw is outstanding, I dont miss shifts, EVER, the mgw is so smooth and accurate I will never run anything else.
i have the same exact problem. going to try to break it in longer. till then..
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
I have the 5.0 and have the same gripe. It also hangs up between gears and the throw is LONG.

Does anyone else agree that the throw is AS LONG if not LONGER than stock??? Even my stock BMW shifter is shorter...what gives???
also feel like mine is long. any suggestions other then tick master would help thanks.

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 sucks