Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lt1 clutch... bye bye

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 clutch... bye bye

ok today i was driving my car and i done a wot 6200 takeoff spinning... next thing i know a massive vibration and a loud BANG! followed with a bunch of small bangs and clanks...

i try to shift to 2nd no go followed by 1-6 no go... by now i am furious every gear makes a hissing noise and felt in the clutch pedal...

i finally get it in third after pushing really hard and begging it to go in... i stop at the stop sign and dummy me puts it in neutral... fighting with it to go into third and roast the clutch trying to take off... i get it going again and flying down dirt roads to get home i realize i can rev match my shifts and go 3rd-6th... i get it home after running the next stop sign and stop in the driveway... try to put it in first same hissing noise and a vibration... it finally goes in and the car starts to creap forward so i take it out and try reverse... creaps backwords making awful hissing sounds.... clutch pedal feels fine...

so guys... what did i **** up this time? clutch? pressure plate? both? hydrolics?
Old 09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
FormerVendor

It's hard to know for sure but since you are unable to actuate the clutch and thus shift gears, and because you heard lots of noise that went along with this, it's time to drop the trans and take a look. You know as well as I do that guessing at the extent of damage isn't going to fix the problem. Let us know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It's hard to know for sure but since you are unable to actuate the clutch and thus shift gears, and because you heard lots of noise that went along with this, it's time to drop the trans and take a look. You know as well as I do that guessing at the extent of damage isn't going to fix the problem. Let us know what you find and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
i just wanted to make sure other peoples guesses were as good as mine... im betting the clutch literally grenaded... and i will be heading to you for a new clutch and pressure plate
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

It's possible but rather unusual. Either way let me know and I will be happy to help you. Thanks and have a good weekend!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

bump... havent had time to really look at it but my inspection cover is bent up now... shifts through all gears fine when off none when started. once in 4th it doesnt even try to stall. clutch = smoked... pics coming in a day or 2. spec... what clutch do you recommend for a lightly modded lt1?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97badass
bump... havent had time to really look at it but my inspection cover is bent up now... shifts through all gears fine when off none when started. once in 4th it doesnt even try to stall. clutch = smoked... pics coming in a day or 2. spec... what clutch do you recommend for a lightly modded lt1?
Go for a Stage 2, or a 3 or 3+ if you are planning increasing your power levels eventually. I'd do the 3+ and call it a day, personally.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Stage 2, 2+, 3 or even 3+ would be fine. Of course it all comes down to what you want and what you plan to do long term. Do you know what kind of torque the car is making now? Do you have plans for future mods? Let me know and I will be happy to help you decide what fits your needs best!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw a McLeod in it and forget about it. you can always grow into a street twin. i went 9.1 over the weekend @154 mph. i know not stock, but the street twin is what i had in the car years ago running 12.6 with minor bolt ons only, and well it is a tad bit beyond stock now, lol!!!

just my .02.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taner
throw a McLeod in it and forget about it. you can always grow into a street twin. i went 9.1 over the weekend @154 mph. i know not stock, but the street twin is what i had in the car years ago running 12.6 with minor bolt ons only, and well it is a tad bit beyond stock now, lol!!!

just my .02.
is that also the clutch that flew apart and cut your gas pedal off??? yes i keep track of what you do on here taner... your one of my ls1tech heros lol

i have no clue what its making for power... not much i dont think but enough to break stuff i had a guy tune it but he couldnt tune it all the way because of bad plug wires the fuel trim according to him looks like a toddler played with it and my speedo is still 10 off only the wrong way this time... i found a dyno tuning shop here so after the new clutch its going there. and while my trannys out im going to freshen it up i have all the parts to do it now

Quick Reply: lt1 clutch... bye bye