Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I CANT stop misshifting even with a pro 5.0 shifter! I NEED a rocket scientest HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dope...the pro 5.0 isn't crappy. Ask everyone on this board. it is the best shifter by far. if you have a problem hitting 3rd and practice doesn't help then you might want to call pro 5.0 and see about getting a stiffer spring.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vents
you might try changing your technique as well. i shift with my hand in all kinds of diffrent set positions on every change. 1-2 is about a straight up and down fist grip. 2-3 is a palm push diagonally over. and the 3-4 is straight back only touching the front of the ****. dont grab the know like the 1-2 shift, you'll start missing the 3-4. just take your time.

secondly, be sure that your clutch setup is up to par. if you've not done the drill mod, you' could have a hydraulic problem if you can NEVER hit 3rd under WOT.

lastly, the pro-5.0 is probably the best shifter there is. work with what you've got before you go spendin mor money on a problem that you could have fixed for free.

just the words of a 21 year old punk kid. take em for what their worth.
What the hell is the drill mod can you explain ......don't mean to bother you
Old 12-14-2003, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....yeah i havent heard of that one yet can someone explain that
Old 12-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Launching!

The TA is my first manual-shift car, and I am still having some trouble shifting it smoothly. Hand positioning helps a lot, but one thing I started doing a couple months ago that really helped out on the 2-3 shift was moving my elbow close to my body for that shift. This way, I push my arm straight out, and since it is in a straight line with the 2-3 shift, I can hit it much more easily.

The drill mod is when you drill out the restriction in the line from the master cylinder. The restriction limits the flow rate of the hydraulic fluid, thus slowing clutch engagement and disengagement.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

is that something good to do? and what do you do? any site on how to do it? more info please, thanks!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Yeah, its helped me a little. Not really much to it. My right elbow normally is above the console, and when I am getting ready to shift 2-3, I just move my elbow closer to my body. Now your right forearm will be pointing straight at #3, so you just push forward along the line of your forearm and will go right into third. Before I tried this, I was pushing too far to the right when I went into third and would hit the spot between third and fifth. Now I find the spot very easily.

Now, my mis-shifts are down considerably. But probably the biggest gains I've made was after I learned to calm down and take it slow.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cm02WS6
The TA is my first manual-shift car, and I am still having some trouble shifting it smoothly. Hand positioning helps a lot, but one thing I started doing a couple months ago that really helped out on the 2-3 shift was moving my elbow close to my body for that shift. This way, I push my arm straight out, and since it is in a straight line with the 2-3 shift, I can hit it much more easily.

The drill mod is when you drill out the restriction in the line from the master cylinder. The restriction limits the flow rate of the hydraulic fluid, thus slowing clutch engagement and disengagement.
That is only for the older master cylinder right ? You don't need to do the drill mod on the 02 master ?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I miss gears here and there, but I dont jam them into the wrong gear... I just hit like in between gears. A few things that helped me were pressing the clutch pedal a little further down than when im normally driving (I have a high engagement point). Also, i got a short stick and factory hurst. The very heavy hurst springs were really strange at first, but now I love them. 1st to 2nd, I keep left pressure on the stick. 2 - 3 I push forward and let the springs center the stick towards 3rd. 3 - 4 I just slap it back with a cupped open palm hand and still let the springs keep it centered towards 4th. Dont use one hand position for all the different shifts. Theyll each develop their own style in time. oh... and "ELBOWS OUT"
-T
Old 12-19-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try slowing down a bit, you can't be at the top from the get-go.

take it out to someplace no ones around and focus on shifting and nothing else. shift at 4,000rpm so if you miss it won't be as big a deal. 2 months of that and i was shifting as good as the street racers around town and i'm only 17 i just went out infront of our barn and did it when we were taking a break
Old 12-19-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

for me it kinda came real easy and and i was 18 when i got my t/a. what can screw u up with not doing it all the time then u cant keep the rythm so to speak, even going around town shifting fast at 3-4000 will help u and like ramairstyle00 said if u miss a gear its not too big of i deal as if u were at 6200
Old 12-21-2003, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i really dont know what the problem is with all these people missing third
1-2 hand on right side and pull straight down
2-3 palm on the back side of the shift hand open and push straight up
3-4 thumb pointed down and have on left side pull straight down
i did not own a sick car before my 2002 and have only driven a stick car maybe 4 times before and the same day i got it i was slamming gear at 6000 not missing anygears
Old 12-21-2003, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah same here, first manual i have ever driven out of 1st gear, no problems jsut have to hold the shifter right i guess
Old 12-21-2003, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i did not have any problems shifting the stock hurst buti wanted a lil shorter shift and more firmness
so i got the lss and it makes the stock hurst feel so nice
Old 12-22-2003, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fierce-LS1
That is only for the older master cylinder right ? You don't need to do the drill mod on the 02 master ?
All of the master cylinders are the same. You still need to do the drill mod if you go with an aftermarket unit. When you do the drill mod you are drilling out the restriction in the hose that goes into the M/C.
Someone else posted up about getting a stiffer spring for your shifter. I have a factory hurst with a jarrods short stick and have no problems. However, I ran my friends car at the track yesterday, He has the Pro 5.0, and I missed third alltogether. The pro 5.0 feels a little smoother but I like the stiffer spring in my hurst. I am thinkin of goin with the pro 5.0 because it has adjustable stops. If I can get a stiffer spring then that would seal the deal.

Brad
Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to mis-shift 3rd before getting the Lou's Short Stick.
The shorter throw helps lots.

2-3rd shift is not so much about getting from 2nd to 3rd in one motion.
It's more about getting from 2rd to Neutral, then pushing straight up into 3rd.
Look at it more like a 2 step process.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 12-25-2003 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

if all else fails doesn't pro 5.0 have a money back gurantee that if you still miss gears they will refund your money, return it and try a different shifter. i used to never be able to hit 3rd with my hurst billet, bought a ripper and problem was solved.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Teching In

I used to always mess up doing the 2-3 shift when I am trying to shift fast. I notice for me its all about how much RPM's you have built up and when you release the clutch. Like the other guys were saying get the motion down then work your way up.

Quick Reply: I CANT stop misshifting even with a pro 5.0 shifter! I NEED a rocket scientest HELP!!