Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

throw out bearing or new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default throw out bearing or new clutch?

Well, I've just recently got my car back from the shop. It is making 501 and 47X to the wheels. I have a T56, and the car itself has under 20,000 miles on it.

When I push the clutch in, it doesn't pop out all the way, and it feels as if there is a bit of play at the top of the clutch (all the way out).

this morning, one of the cooler mornings I've driven it since I had it back, The clutch is releasing just about at the floor, and once or twice, it was very hard to get into first gear, and the clutch barely came off the floor and wouldn't come up any higher without me helping it out.

Any recommendations? The clutch is a Spec stg. 3 by the way. Anyone know how those fare with that much power?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Launching!

Have you ever changed and bled your master clutch reservoir? Is the fluid discolored and/or does is smell burned?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by performinnorman
Have you ever changed and bled your master clutch reservoir? Is the fluid discolored and/or does is smell burned?
Yup, looks like there is hardly any fluid in there, and it is a bit dirty...

How do you bleed that? I don't imagine its like brakes... never bled a clutch
Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

I suggest the use of a mighty-vac to pull the air out of the system. You need to vacuum from the actual bleeder valve off the slave and from the reservoir that feeds the master. If you haven't done this before then you may want to consult someone locally (a shop or other experienced LS owner) that would be willing to assist you. It can be a little tedious but it is a necessary evil when replacing a clutch on an LS1 equipped car.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Any recommended fluid? I have some dot 4 that I had when I had my motorcycle. Would that be sufficient?
Old 10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

I am a big fan of Motul RBF-600 fluid. It has never let me down and I have used it in a number of vehicles that see track use (road-race) regularly. Thanks,
Old 10-03-2009, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I suggest the use of a mighty-vac to pull the air out of the system. You need to vacuum from the actual bleeder valve off the slave and from the reservoir that feeds the master. If you haven't done this before then you may want to consult someone locally (a shop or other experienced LS owner) that would be willing to assist you. It can be a little tedious but it is a necessary evil when replacing a clutch on an LS1 equipped car.
When bleeding from the slave do you just place the vac over the hole in the bleeder? Crack the bleeder first right? How much pressure should be used?

Quick Reply: throw out bearing or new clutch?