Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Input shaft bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danbo313
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I found another potential source of noise.. The Mainshaft large taper bearing should probably not be spinning on the shaft.. I was able to dismantle most of my mainshaft without a press, well i should say most of my tranny without a press or puller.
The mainshaft bearing is not a press fit, but it should not spin on the mainshaft either.. That again points to too-much preload, or your drivetrain (driveshaft) binding.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i put this thing back together, how do I keep the front race from spinning if the new one is as loose as the current one? I've heard of the old method of going around the cut out in the midplate with a center punch then putting lock tite on the outside of the race and install it.

I don't think the driveshaft was binding, i as able to slide it forward on the spines when I removed it. Maybe i should've had some more grease on the splines so it could slide in and out easier??
Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the midplate bearing cup is worn, you should replace the midplate. You have to be able to remove the bearing race to shim the bearings, you don't want it staked or locktite'd into place.

Ideally, the roller bearings should have less resistance/friction turning than the race rotating in the cup. If your midplate is slightly worn, you may just want to shim it back with slight end-play instead of pre-load, this should keep the race from turning as long as the bearing is in good shape.

The driveshaft binding is when the rear/drivetrain moves/rotates forward, pushing the driveshaft into the transmission and bottoms out. If you only have about 1" or less of slide in your driveshaft (suspension loaded), it's probably bottoming out during braking,etc.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

update. Completed car on Memorial Day. 7K miles, No more whine in neutral. During the rebuild I also noticed that when the last owner rebuilt the tranny, he replaced the bearings, but none of the races. SO i had KOYO bearings and Timken races.... PS. That race in the end of the input shaft is a PITA.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get the race out of the center of the input shaft? There is no good info on it that I can find....
Old 01-26-2012, 11:11 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gectek
How did you get the race out of the center of the input shaft? There is no good info on it that I can find....
Get a slide hammer with jaws that fit the race securely. Fit it to the race. Spray the race w/ R134A. Tap it out.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

I used a slide hammer with a hooked end. I put a socket in the race fill up the extra space and keep the hook on the race. I worked my way around sliding it out a little bit at a time.

I already had a cheapo slide hammer, but the way described above is a better way to go.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually on races like that, I weld a bead on the race and it will almost fall out, but with this situation, its a bit harder to do. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danbo313
dang, thats not gonna be cheap.. I was thinking it wasn't supposed to look like that. Here's a pic of the gear

I wasn't quite sure about the bearings, thats for the input.
Yep that looks familiar, I had the same thing where there was so much wear, the gear slipped off by hand.
The 5/6 gear is shot and a new one goes for around $180 IIRC.

Contact Jason at TDP and he can provide a repaired main shaft with decent splines that has the journal where the gear presses on, slightly oversized for a tighter fit than OEM. I went this route and the setup is going strong and the repaired shaft is much cheaper than a new shaft.

This area of the shaft and the design of the gear are a severe design flaw IMO.

Quick Reply: T56 Input shaft bearing question