Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

After my Spec 3+ Install, Engages low and creeps forward

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009 | 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default After my Spec 3+ Install, Engages low and creeps forward

I am about ready to install a TH350/400 at this point. I recently installed a Spec 3+ Clutch Kit and since then it is hard to get into gear, esp reverse. Strange thing is when sitting still, pusing the clutch pedal in and putting into 1st gear without releasing clutch pedal, the car creeps forward like the clutch is engaged. Same in reverse.

Also, you can forget shifting a high rpms, it's not gonna happen.

Question, some have told me a Tick Master will solve my issues, others have told me a shim will solve my issues.

Any idea's?

BTW, previous clutch was LS6 clutch, shifted great, nice engagement and all. ++++
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:39 AM
Launching!

Spec usually includes a shim with the purchase of an LS1 Fbody clutch. Did you get one and if so, did youi install it?
Old 10-27-2009 | 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by performinnorman
Spec usually includes a shim with the purchase of an LS1 Fbody clutch. Did you get one and if so, did youi install it?
This was going to be my first question. Also, have you properly and fully bled the clutch? Basic questions, I know, but they need to be asked before anything else is considered.
Old 10-27-2009 | 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
This was going to be my first question. Also, have you properly and fully bled the clutch? Basic questions, I know, but they need to be asked before anything else is considered.
Thanks for the response guys. No shim was sent with kit or used. Yes, I have been using sticks for years in different cars and the clutch is bled perfect. Nice firm pedal still, no sticking to floor, just VERY low clutch engagement.

BTW, I am still on my factory 2001 hydraulics.
Old 10-27-2009 | 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

Clutch is dragging. Meaning not full releasing which results in the symptoms you have. Sounds like the shim.
Old 10-27-2009 | 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Thanks for the response guys. No shim was sent with kit or used. Yes, I have been using sticks for years in different cars and the clutch is bled perfect. Nice firm pedal still, no sticking to floor, just VERY low clutch engagement.

BTW, I am still on my factory 2001 hydraulics.
I know Spec has a new clutch design they're selling now, so it's possible they are designed to not use a shim. I would give Jeremy a call at Spec and ask him his thoughts (assuming he doesn't see this and post up first). I would guess if it's supposed to be installed with a shim, that could be the issue, but if it's not, then I'd start testing the hydraulics. Unplug the master braided line from the slave and check to make sure the pedal is stiff with no leaking fluid. If so, your master should be good and I would assume it's either a slave issue or an issue with the clutch pressure plate itself. My brother had this same issue with his first Monster a month or two back and it turned out the batch of clutches that his came from was manufactured wrong. First he had tried the Tick master like everyone including Monster recommended, but it didn't fix the issue. Then Monster found the manufacturing issue and sent a replacement, which now works perfectly.

If the pedal feels good and the hydraulics are bled properly, plus the master and slave checkout, you're looking at a pressure plate issue, most likely, but talk to Jeremy first. He might come up with something else to try.
Old 10-27-2009 | 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

I would have to agree with the posts above in that your clutch is not fully disingaging. Spec normally uses a shim with their clutches, so I would probably try to get in touch with them about getting one.
Old 10-27-2009 | 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
I would have to agree with the posts above in that your clutch is not fully disingaging. Spec normally uses a shim with their clutches, so I would probably try to get in touch with them about getting one.
Thanks guys. I will contact Spec and try that first.
Old 10-27-2009 | 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Vcious, What is the part number for the kit you installed? All of our LS1 based kits include a shim and it is located in a plastic bag with the warranty and installation notes. Perhaps this was overlooked or disgarded unintentionally. This shim is required, and should be installed behind the stock slave-cylinder. Without it the clutch engagement point will be very low. If you like you are welcome to call me at the number to discuss this further. Thanks,
Old 10-27-2009 | 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Vcious, What is the part number for the kit you installed? All of our LS1 based kits include a shim and it is located in a plastic bag with the warranty and installation notes. Perhaps this was overlooked or disgarded unintentionally. This shim is required, and should be installed behind the stock slave-cylinder. Without it the clutch engagement point will be very low. If you like you are welcome to call me at the number to discuss this further. Thanks,
PM sent, Thanks!
Old 10-27-2009 | 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

I am glad we could get you taken care of! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
Old 10-27-2009 | 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am glad we could get you taken care of! Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,
+1 Appreciate the help Jeremy.

For everyone else on more info, I did buy this clutch kit as "barely used" from a member here, but the seller left the shim on the transmission and did not ship it to me with the clutch (found out about 5 minutes ago). I should have asked before I bought the clutch. Lesson learned... just sucks I have to pull the trans back out because "somebody" left out an important detail/item.
Old 10-27-2009 | 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

+1 Appreciate the help Jeremy.

For everyone else on more info, I did buy this clutch kit as "barely used" from a member here, but the seller left the shim on the transmission and did not ship it to me with the clutch (found out about 5 minutes ago). I should have asked before I bought the clutch. Lesson learned...
Good info. Thanks for posting up. Let us know how it goes after you get a shim installed. PM me if you'd like. I'm very curious to see if it solves your issue.
Old 10-27-2009 | 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

hope it solves your issues. FWIW i've had 3 spec clutches in my car and have never used the shim :shrug:
Old 10-27-2009 | 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TINKRD
hope it solves your issues. FWIW i've had 3 spec clutches in my car and have never used the shim :shrug:
Me too. I have never used an adjustable master on ANY aftermarket clutch kit I have used on any of my previous vehicle with NO shifting problems whatsoever. I did however upgrade to the 01-02 hydraulics on my old 99 t/a when I installed the Ram VDS system, helped a bunch. Nothing wrong with the stock master's and slaves, the adjustable just helps fine tune the engagement area's for maximum effeciency to driver shifting.

As far as you never having to use a shim, I did not either in my old 99 c5. I had a spec stage 4 ceramic disc, shifted flawless. The new Spec 3+ is a different setup all together, thats why it's comes with the shim.
Old 10-28-2009 | 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Need seem help with that tranny let me know!!!
Old 10-28-2009 | 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The new Spec 3+ is a different setup all together, thats why it's comes with the shim.
i've got a spec3+ in my car now. drives like stock

(not giving you a hard time, but never have figured out why i've never had to shim a spec :dunno: )
Old 10-28-2009 | 08:01 AM
FormerVendor

I think it ultimately comes down to the somewhat extreme variance found in the cars. For instance, I have seen stock slave/bearing assemblies with as much as 1/4" difference in compressed depth. Though a 1/4" may not seem like a lot it has a tremendous impact on clutch function.

I also suspect that these bell-housings/transmissions have a decent amount of variance in total depth. I have only been under a few cars since I started measuring (previously I hadn't thought to do this) but I have seen a little more than 1/16" (.0625") difference. I know, again this may not seem like much but when you realize that clutches are affected by miniscule height changes you will understand the significance.

I will continue to take measurements and take them into account when providing info for you all in the future. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 10-28-2009 | 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatZ28
Need seem help with that tranny let me know!!!
Thanks Brad. I'm gonna start tonight. Try to have it ready for friday night. Gonna try to make a 1/4 mile pass.

Originally Posted by TINKRD
i've got a spec3+ in my car now. drives like stock

(not giving you a hard time, but never have figured out why i've never had to shim a spec :dunno: )
It's all good JP. I appreciate to interest and help. I am with you on thinking, I have never shimmed either, but am willing to try a $5 part than a $350 MC. I'll let you know.

I think it ultimately comes down to the somewhat extreme variance found in the cars. For instance, I have seen stock slave/bearing assemblies with as much as 1/4" difference in compressed depth. Though a 1/4" may not seem like a lot it has a tremendous impact on clutch function.

I also suspect that these bell-housings/transmissions have a decent amount of variance in total depth. I have only been under a few cars since I started measuring (previously I hadn't thought to do this) but I have seen a little more than 1/16" (.0625") difference. I know, again this may not seem like much but when you realize that clutches are affected by miniscule height changes you will understand the significance.

I will continue to take measurements and take them into account when providing info for you all in the future. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Thanks for the info. makes sense.
Old 10-28-2009 | 03:02 PM
Banned

Good to hear you figured it out,

My jaw dropped when i saw the thread title cause I just orderd a spec 3+ kit ...

G/luck

Quick Reply: After my Spec 3+ Install, Engages low and creeps forward