Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

????? how you guys doin it 10.s on moter?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009 | 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

im getting rid of the drag radial goin to a 28 10.5 stiff wall slick. the car has 4.30 in it so they should do fine w the 6 speed. the tranny is a built 4l60 that is slipping in 3rd in the video or yhe guy i got it from said it was built bout a year ago. and the weight thing is i have nothing in the car no ac or heater no rear seats or rear seatbelts manual brakes no power stering corboe seats (w i probobly spelled wrong) light weight carpet etc etc.
Old 11-02-2009 | 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
Honestly, if the car didn't hook auto it will NOT with a 6sp. A 6sp. is harder to get to leave good, especially consistant. If your "dig" or die like some, you will not be happy with the swap. It will pull harder in 4th than the auto did up top but thats really the only gain you will see.....but will it make up for it in a race with the extra problems with hooking/driver etc.??

How big was the converter/gear? Looks lazy leaving the line...eating up some good ET there, should 60ft in the .40's at least.
Built trans or stocker?

honestly the track was crap i usually hook beter on the street than at this track the past few weeks. and im a all dig guy had a six speed ta and loved it thats why in goin back(auto is booring to me) the convertor is only a 3000 figured it would do good on the street w the kit.
Old 11-02-2009 | 05:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well @ 3160 (by the way, HOW is your car that light, with you in it? You might want to check another scale, as I am scratching my head on that one.) but will need @ 450 RWHP to get you into the 10's (also, what is your trap speed). If you are actually closer to @ 3400 Lbs (which you probaly are) gonna take @ 525 RWHP to get you into the 10's. So, gonna need @ 600FWHP to get ya there (if you ARE @ 3160 then will take less power..)
My car weighed 3000 lbs even with me in it at Memphis. I weigh about 180lbs. It was litterally out of gas when we weighed it so I figure an honest race weight would be 3020 lbs. (still has the factory tank with a bulhead fitting in the bottom so I have to run 3 or 4 gallons in it atleast).

This is with all the glass still in the car, power windows, a 10 pt cage, 9" rear, and a heavy steel belhousing. I figure just doing the front and rear windows and going over the bodies wiring (all still factory) I can probably knock another 100 lbs out this winter. Nothing has been hacked or cut up yet... I used to think people were lying when they said their cars were that light.

Anyway, the mph is pretty weak for a car that light...what kind of power did it make? We've got a 3300 lb LT1 car that runs 11.1x's at 119 mph cutting high 1.4 sixties with a th350 tranny. It made 404 rwhp... Knock a couple of tenths off that sixty and you'll be that much closer to the 10's. If the automatic tranny in there is slipping that could be your problem..or something could be running in a bind (suspension, drivetrain, etc.) The mph just looks terrible for something that should be making 450 rwhp+ in a very light car...
Old 11-02-2009 | 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
My car weighed 3000 lbs even with me in it at Memphis. I weigh about 180lbs. It was litterally out of gas when we weighed it so I figure an honest race weight would be 3020 lbs. (still has the factory tank with a bulhead fitting in the bottom so I have to run 3 or 4 gallons in it atleast).

This is with all the glass still in the car, power windows, a 10 pt cage, 9" rear, and a heavy steel belhousing. I figure just doing the front and rear windows and going over the bodies wiring (all still factory) I can probably knock another 100 lbs out this winter. Nothing has been hacked or cut up yet... I used to think people were lying when they said their cars were that light.

Anyway, the mph is pretty weak for a car that light...what kind of power did it make? We've got a 3300 lb LT1 car that runs 11.1x's at 119 mph cutting high 1.4 sixties with a th350 tranny. It made 404 rwhp... Knock a couple of tenths off that sixty and you'll be that much closer to the 10's. If the automatic tranny in there is slipping that could be your problem..or something could be running in a bind (suspension, drivetrain, etc.) The mph just looks terrible for something that should be making 450 rwhp+ in a very light car...

the car just has a mail order tune should be ordering a fast and grtting a tune with in the next 2 weeks so i really dont know power wise. i sure hope it makes around 450 w the tune thats what everyone is telling me it should make.
Old 11-02-2009 | 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Wink

Originally Posted by 2nd go round
honestly the track was crap i usually hook beter on the street than at this track the past few weeks. and im a all dig guy had a six speed ta and loved it thats why in goin back(auto is booring to me) the convertor is only a 3000 figured it would do good on the street w the kit.
IMO put a RMVB TH350 in that thing and like a 4k stall. Dig racing etc. an auto can not be beat. I have fun w/ the 6sp as well but an auto is a LOT more consistant for digs. MPH is WAY down for that weight like it's been brought up, 60ft, mph, power to weight just don't add up. My cam only car goes a BIT faster than that, and weighs more according to the posted weight.
You just don't do a 6sp swap and run those magical 10.x's it takes a LOT of time, and perfection everything has to be right.
Old 11-02-2009 | 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Haven't seen much about DA talked about in this thread, but that can make a huge difference as well. Back when I was stock I couldn't average faster than 14.00 at 99 up in the high desert on warm nights. Same track, still stock on a freezing cold night I could run 13.3s @106-107 pretty consistently.
Old 11-02-2009 | 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chris05ssTruck
IMO put a RMVB TH350 in that thing and like a 4k stall. Dig racing etc. an auto can not be beat. I have fun w/ the 6sp as well but an auto is a LOT more consistant for digs. MPH is WAY down for that weight like it's been brought up, 60ft, mph, power to weight just don't add up. My cam only car goes a BIT faster than that, and weighs more according to the posted weight.
You just don't do a 6sp swap and run those magical 10.x's it takes a LOT of time, and perfection everything has to be right.
i think the tune and a fast will wake my car up alot or i hope so anyway.
Old 11-03-2009 | 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Well my car cam only picked up 23/10 with an UNPORTED FAST 90/NW90TB, so i would hope you pick up some good power, mine helped ALL over the power band picked up a *** ton EVERYwhere. I would worry about getting a non slippin tranny as well, more power won't help that issue. Not to mention rob power on the Dyno and where is actually matters; the track.
Inless the car is REALLY down on power with the current tune i would only expect to gain a couple .10's and MPH. It won't get you from 11.49 to 10.99.
Old 11-03-2009 | 06:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick

I know you can get it there, I was just assuming that his car was not that light, because it does take quite a bit of gutting to get it there. Most FBodies run in teh 3300-3400 withOUT driver in them, stock. So, to get down to 3160 with driver (say he is 160 for mathematic purposes) that means, car had to lose 450-550 lbs, and that is ALOT to lose.....more than a simple "take teh spare and jack out to save some weight" type of thing...

Quick Reply: ????? how you guys doin it 10.s on moter?????