Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Nasty grinding while engaging clutch. Loose Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nasty grinding while engaging clutch. Loose Flywheel?

So I did one run at the track last Wednesday. The car would shift into second right away so I just put it into 3rd and it felt "strange".

I pulled up to the booth to get my time slip and as I put it in gear to pull away it made a horrible grinding noise until the clutch was fully engaged, then nothing.

So I go park the car, check underneath for leaking fluid and don't see anything. I start the car back up and try to release the clutch in gear, horrible grinding again. I have to make it home at this point so it drives fine while in gear, just not taking off from a stop.

Back round on the car: Newly installed Monster stg. III (1500 miles) New slave (1500 miles) New master (1500 miles) Fresh Tick Lvl. 2 rebuild with Cryo and REM polishing

I think it might be a loose flywheel or pressure plate since it only does the vibration/grinding while in the process of engaging the clutch, and goes away once the clutch is fully engaged.

Any help/ suggestions would be awesome. I'm hoping to pull the tranny in the next few days here.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend not driving it at all until you pull the transmission and find out what's broken or loose.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, it's out of commission for now
Old 11-02-2009, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone heard of anything like this happening?
Old 11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Mine starting doing that just out of the blue. Loud grinding sound, but only when engaging from a dead stop, and never after rolling. Took it apart Sat - pilot bearing is all chewed up. Been in less than a year. Sounds like a good place to start.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Mine starting doing that just out of the blue. Loud grinding sound, but only when engaging from a dead stop, and never after rolling. Took it apart Sat - pilot bearing is all chewed up. Been in less than a year. Sounds like a good place to start.
Exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes it will show up on downshifts as well. Basically the input isn't supported, so when the pp releases the clutch disk it can wobble a bit. It will make a nasty vibration/harmonic type grind...not a grind you would associate with metal to metal contact or a gear grinding when trying to engage.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Also to, do not rule out clutch chatter either. Now, I do not know what you are "hearing" or what it "sounds" like since I am not there, but since you are saying you are hearing a growling noise when taking off from a stop, but once pedal is out all way, it goes away, it COULD be clutch chatter you are hearing as well.

Now, that noise would be somewhat faint, and would be more of a "feel" then "hear"...

So, while it maybe the PB, don't rule out chatter either...

Quick Reply: Nasty grinding while engaging clutch. Loose Flywheel?