Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What size slicks are you guys running on your drag set up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95transamlt1
I wil be switching to 28 inch slicks , Can anyone get me the exact part number for the MT et slicks i need for my 15x10 in pro star. I would also like to get the hoosier part number so i can compare ? thanks
stick with a 26" tall slick. Just don't get a radial. MT E.T. drags work very well. Just call summit and tell them you need a set of 26" tall slicks for your car. If you go with a 28" slick tire your gonna bogggggggg big time and put a lot of extra strain on your car trying to launch. 4.11 gears - run a 26" full slick ----- 4.33 gears --run a 28" slick. That is for a max effort set up. You can get away with 4.11 and a 28" slick but it won't be as good as if you had 4.33 gears. If you bogg down to much I guess you can play with tire psi to try to get it where you want it

Last edited by 02SOMWS6; 11-19-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 450 to the tire I just started running MT Et Drags 28x10.5 3055S.. For the heavy weight of the GTO I got the "S" and it worked real good.. Got a new PB in the 60' of 1.51

With a 3.91 gear I seen no change in MPH switching from a 26" to a 28" tire.. Actually ran the 28s in a worse Da and was within .4 MPH of a PB in that regard.. No other changes to the car besides rims and tires (Just different brand rims)
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
no offense but thats bs. the same tire he is currently running right now i was launching at 6K on my old t56 and hooked to a 1.37 60'. plenty of other people have done it. but there are a lot of things we need to know about what he is doing at the track. which is why i asked all of the questions above. im sorry but i dont believe the issue is the tire.
Yeah..............like I said. HE MAY be able to get some decent times leaving off the limiter with the MT radials and some suspension work. MT radials were made for auto cars. IDK if it still does, but it even used to say that on their site next to the tire. I dont know many people with a 6spd car running radials and doing great with them. Seems like everyone here says go with the bias ply. If I were the OP I would listen to the majority of people in here and go with what works with the least amount of effort.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taws6m6
If I were the OP I would listen to the majority of people in here and go with what works with the least amount of effort.
agreed, but IMO thats like putting a bandaid on a problem that needs fixing. In this case the suspension needs to be set up and dialed in right. hell, if he can get it to hook on the MT drags radials then maybe the car would 60' better on the MT's than the bias ply or even the other way around....

still waiting on answers from the OP to my questions in my first post. blk00SS has already went 1.64 60's (looking at his sig) which for his M6 car is still doing much better than OP's
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

agreed, but IMO thats like putting a bandaid on a problem that needs fixing. In this case the suspension needs to be set up and dialed in right. hell, if he can get it to hook on the MT drags radials then maybe the car would 60' better on the MT's than the bias ply or even the other way around....

still waiting on answers from the OP to my questions in my first post. blk00SS has already went 1.64 60's (looking at his sig) which for his M6 car is still doing much better than OP's
Respectfully, how is using a tire that is more suited for this application (bias ply) over a one that is not (radial) considered a band-aid? By that logic, tuning the suspension to work with a radial is a band-aid because you're using the wrong tire. Call mickey thompson and tell them to recommend you a tire for a 435rwhp car with a manual trans.....they'll say bias ply every single time. Go here & poke around:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=107

There's a M/T tire rep named Jason Moulton that posts a lot in there, he has gone over this situation (radials + clutch) many many times.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Respectfully, how is using a tire that is more suited for this application (bias ply) over a one that is not (radial) considered a band-aid? By that logic, tuning the suspension to work with a radial is a band-aid because you're using the wrong tire. Call mickey thompson and tell them to recommend you a tire for a 435rwhp car with a manual trans.....they'll say bias ply every single time. Go here & poke around:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=107

There's a M/T tire rep named Jason Moulton that posts a lot in there, he has gone over this situation (radials + clutch) many many times.
im saying its a bandaid because the suspension whether he is using the proper tire or not. The suspension NEEDS to be set up. PERIOD. and obviously the MT tires do hook. there have been plenty of people who have done it, myself included. he is going to put something on the car that is going to ban-aid the problem rather than fix what it is really hurting for and wanting and thats a good suspension set up.

at the end of the day. just going to a bias ply may not hook for him if its not set up properly. then he is just pissing money into the wind for no reason.

everyone here is saying "do this" but they no absolutely NOTHING about the car, or how he is driving it. they are telling him to spend money on something that he may not need to spend it on to get the car to leave the gate without knowing a thing about the car. they are telling him to do something that worked for them. they know their car and how they drive it. and it shows that they know what they are doing with their cars.

for all we know...for example he could be running those MT's with 28 psi of air in it and THAT could be why its not hooking..... or he could be dragging water in front of his tires when he drives the car THROUGH the box..... or even stop doing his burnout IN the box. (these are all examples OP and not saying this is what you are doing).

all im saying is before everyone should tell him to go buy something. they should learn a little background on the car and what he is doing.

if he can learn to get the car to hook on the MT DR's. then when he does go with a bias ply. the car will 60' MUCH better. with his mods though he shouldnt be having these problems with finding traction, if thats the problem. He stated he was spinning into third.... someone else said he wasnt. if he wasnt i say clutch slippage.... i have never seen a MT drag radial spin 100' or more out....

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Call mickey thompson and tell them to recommend you a tire for a 435rwhp car with a manual trans.....they'll say bias ply every single time. Go here & poke around:
this is not something i need to do, i believe you and im sure they do say that... im sayin i got them to hook spraying 150 shot off the line with a 585 RWHP nitrous car with my 6 six speed, and went 10.87@126(?) mph with a 1.47 60'. so you cant tell me that a suspension does nothing for those tires. (wish that my ET was better on that pass but fudged the motor up on that pass, resulting in a new motor and th400 swap)

i think if im right by checking the records that ndfrsd6 also went mid tens or sub tens with the same radial.

Edit: mid-high 10's.

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
just ran 10.68 @ 129.19 mph ......1.63 60ft .........last run was a 10.75 @ 128

http://media.putfile.com/Camaro-third-to-last-run
http://media.putfile.com/Camaro-last-run
402 cid
faceplated trans built by six speed inc /mc leod single disc
1-7/8 hooker headers
strange 12 bolt w/spool 4.56 gears
wolfe 6 point cage
3in true dual into 3in bullits
qa1 12 way up front comp rear shocks
spohn drag sway bar
skinnies up front w/ 275-60-15 m/t drag radials
3050 race weight 500 rwhp/469 rwtq N/A

Last edited by Raven02TA; 11-20-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

the same tire he is currently running right now i was launching at 6K on my old t56 and hooked to a 1.37 60'.
sorry guys, i just re-read my statement and i typoed. its a 1.47 60' not a 1.37 60'........ *flame suit on*
Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry guys, i just re-read my statement and i typoed. its a 1.47 60' not a 1.37 60'........ *flame suit on*
yeah and his race weight is 3050! My car would run bottom 10's on that kind of a diet! which in turn wold bring the 60ft way down on the slicks.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
yeah and his race weight is 3050! My car would run bottom 10's on that kind of a diet! which in turn wold bring the 60ft way down on the slicks.
you're right but the point still stands, he ran 10.60's on MT drag radials. the way everyone is talking in this thread or the way they make it seem, is that its not possible for these tires to 60' low for M6 cars.

his weight is 3050. i was a full weight car then when i did a 1.47' 60. granted, most of my 60' has been greatly helped by a 150 shot. my point is its still possible

i still think the car isnt set up right or the OP isnt prestaging/staging properly.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work fine on dr's just have to get the launch rpm,tire pressure right.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club

i run the m/t radials on my car and just last week i managed a 1.54 60' leaving the line at 6k and simply dumping the clutch, also spraying the car right off of the line and no spinning. i agree with raven. tune the suspension and the tires will hold. until he explains his set up and how he is trying to leave on the tires we will never know what direction to go with the advise he is asking for. simply telling him to get rid of your tires and buy these because they will work is bs. set the car up right.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks shiz.
eric, BTW congrats on the time. i know you been itchin for that ten sec slip

OP, will you please answer my questions so we can try to help you out?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

how long of a burnout are you doing? when i was doing a little burnout i couldnt hook for ****. Once i started doing a longer second gear burnout these things hook great.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 AM
9 Second Club

eric, BTW congrats on the time. i know you been itchin for that ten sec slip
thanks, its been a long time coming.

Quick Reply: What size slicks are you guys running on your drag set up?