Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New guy clutch question? Advice needed for ROOKIE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy clutch question? Advice needed for ROOKIE!

My stock clutch is about to go or atleaset I think it is. When pressing in the clutch pedal it is really easy about a quarter or more into it then it finally picks up on tension then when I let the pedal out after shift the the pedal does not let out all the way and then pops back up. But the other day it stuck halfway after shift and had to pull it back up with shoe tip. So what advice do you have for the rookie with a preceived clutch problem. Is it time to replace it? The car is a 2000 single owner. How much is a clutch install roughly if I provide all the parts? Please help.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds to me like you have some air in it somewhere. I had the same problem about a year ago. Might be wrong tho. Mine had air trapped in the slave. Turned out to be two problems. Same symptom of yours. Mine also had two bolts back out of the pressure plate and bent and scared the fins on the pressure plate and the flywheel was worn into a cone shape if that makes sense?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Inconsistent pedal affort can certainly point to air in the system. The first thing I suggest doing is checking the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir for discoloration. If it is dark, cloudy or simply no longer clear then you ought to flush and refill the system. Once this is done let us know what you experience. It may very well take car of your problem. Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on checking the fluid and bleeding the clutch first to see if it solves your problem.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses when I first read the replys I though how do you get air in your lines if you have not given the air an oportunity to do so. But then again with my luck in life anything is possible. I will check the reservoir and look at the color of the fluid tomorrow morning and then attempt to figure out how to flush it and replace. Looks like more searching. Thanks for the advice for the rookie. I will let you know if this works.

Quick Reply: New guy clutch question? Advice needed for ROOKIE!