Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gear oil

I havent had any luck searching I just want to know what i can and cant run. Like does it have to be atf or can i run gear oil in the trans and also what do i need for the rear end as well. PS I'm a Royal Purple nut swinger if that tells you anything lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

If you like Royal Purple, use their SyncroMAX fluid in the T56.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Launching!

what about the rear end
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock rear I would run 75-80 if you have an aftermarket rear 80-90
Old 12-05-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

75/90 is what the stock rear calls for, and if you have a Torsen posi it doesnt need additive. Cheap dino oil works just fine.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Launching!

how do i find out what rear end i have
Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by sunset_Z28/RS
I havent had any luck searching I just want to know what i can and cant run. Like does it have to be atf or can i run gear oil in the trans and also what do i need for the rear end as well. PS I'm a Royal Purple nut swinger if that tells you anything lol.
I'm having a hard time believing this...what did you use for search terms? I know there is a LOT of information on this exact topic on here.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'm having a hard time believing this...what did you use for search terms? I know there is a LOT of information on this exact topic on here.
Like the fact that you are NOT supposed to use gear oil in the tranny? I know that's been said before.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

I searched gear oil and came up with nothing and searched differential fluid and came up with nothing (not any clear answers) AND why would you not use gear oil in the tranny every other manual ive owned has used gear oil not atf
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Do NOT use Synchromax in your transmission. Just use the factory reccomended ATF. I used Synchromax for about 5-10k miles and had a horrible time downshifting. My car had to be stopped to make sure it wouldn't grind getting back into 1st gear. I am running RP MAX ATF right now without any issues.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I searched gear oil and came up with nothing and searched differential fluid and came up with nothing (not any clear answers) AND why would you not use gear oil in the tranny every other manual ive owned has used gear oil not atf
Because the T56 service manual specifically says not to, that is will cause damage to the blocker rings.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#t56
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Launching!

sounds like another gm Mess up using atf in a manual tranny just like the slave cylnder/throw out bearing combo POS they use in some of their cars hell its probably in all of them including the f-bodies
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Okay:

1. The differential is in the rear end. Rear end does not = transmission. If you are trying to figure out what to put there, there is a separate section of this forum. This section is for manual transmissions only.

2. The transmission in question is a Tremec T-56 - they do NOT take gear oil. The owner's manual calls for Dexron III (or compatible) ATF. Call up Tremec - they will tell you the same. It was designed to be used with ATF.

3. If you don't understand this, and want to believe that GM screwed up on this one, go ahead. My suggestion? Stop working on these cars before you majorly **** something up.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Okay:

1. The differential is in the rear end. Rear end does not = transmission. If you are trying to figure out what to put there, there is a separate section of this forum. This section is for manual transmissions only.

2. The transmission in question is a Tremec T-56 - they do NOT take gear oil. The owner's manual calls for Dexron III (or compatible) ATF. Call up Tremec - they will tell you the same. It was designed to be used with ATF.

3. If you don't understand this, and want to believe that GM screwed up on this one, go ahead. My suggestion? Stop working on these cars before you majorly **** something up.
I completely undstand everything. I just thinks its stupid and thats ny opinion and if you dont like it you can get over it. Honestly you need to get off my back and quit being a complete dick to me. I did nothing wrong. There is a good possibility i know more about these cars then you do but maybe i dont. Honestly i can give a crap less. Im sorry i said rear end in the tranny section i didnt think it would matter that much. was trying to make it a lil easier on me instead of starting two seprate threads. But you can go ahead and lock this one because i have the info i need and there is no need for me to post on here anymore. Thank you and have a good day. I'm going to work now!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like another gm Mess up using atf in a manual tranny just like the slave cylnder/throw out bearing combo POS they use in some of their cars hell its probably in all of them including the f-bodies
I say go for it and put gear oil in there, see what happens. If you doubt GM then feel free to rewrite the maintenance book.

This is not a Muncie or Saginaw, which used gear oil. The T56 uses ATF, whether you can believe that or not. Don't apply old school ideas to newer cars.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Launching!

Obviously if it calls for atf thats what i'm goin to use. Like i already said in my opinion i think its stupid to use atf in a manual tranny might as well pour some water in there. Nothing any of us can do about it. GM is known for half-assing alot of stuff
Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have always used standard gm ATF in my built t56's. Like the above poster said DO NOT use gear oil.

Quick Reply: Gear oil