Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Have to pump the clutch pedal to get the car into gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to pump the clutch pedal to get the car into gear

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem? The car is very difficult to get into gear and I have to pump the clutch pedal 3-5 times to get it into first and then sometimes to get it to change gears once moving.

Also, the clutch makes a bit of a ticking or clicking sound 3-4 quick times as I depress it.

It's an LS6 clutch with about 40k miles and no trips to the track and no time on drag radials on a bolt-on car. The clutch works great once in gear and doesn't slip at all.

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Last edited by AthensLS1; 12-15-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like could be the master
Old 12-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
sounds like could be the master
What's the an inexpensive option to replace the master cylinder on a car that is not driven hard and doesn't see track time? I just need something to get me down the road and could use a tip on where to buy it.

Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 AM
FormerVendor

Its certainly possible that this is a master or slave issue. But you could also have aerated the hydraulic fluid and may then need to bleed the hydraulics. I suggest using a mighty-vac and that you bleed from the valve off the slave and the reservoir too. Start by checking the level and qualtiy of the fluid in the reservoir. If it is dark, cloudy or discolored then you need to flush and refill the system. You can do this on your own or have a shop help you. If you find that this doesn't help then you can opt to replace the master and or slave. Details for these parts are listed below.

We offer an OE type master in two forms (regular and adjustable). The standard unit retails for $99. The adjustable unit is $175 (this version allows you to adjust the overall length of the rod that actuates the Master giving you the ability to modifiy the engagement point relative to pedal travel). Let me know if you want to order one and I will be happy to assist you.

Keep in mind that this could also be an issue relative to your slave cylinder. As you likely know the slave is mounted in the bell-housing and is more difficult to access, requiring that you drop the transmission. We offer the slave as well and it costs $109 with the bearing and $95 without the bearing.

Last edited by SPEC-01; 12-18-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: more info added

Quick Reply: Have to pump the clutch pedal to get the car into gear