Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

If you have a six speed, buy a tick clutch master cylinder and avoid trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default If you have a six speed, buy a tick clutch master cylinder and avoid trouble

I noticed that there are many threads just on the first page that look like master cylinder problems so I thought I would post my solution

I just got my Tick clutch master cylinder installed and the difference is night and day. Before with stock LS1 and bolt ons the clutch pedal would drop after any stomp on the gas and even during normal driving. I finally pulled the trigger and dropped the cash on Tick and it was well worth the cost.

Pedal feel is stronger but you get used to it after a day or two and it is much better anyway, before I could barely tell I was pushing the pedal. I also had an idea that my clutch was dragging before and now I know it was. Launching feels so much more solid and clutch release is consistant. Before it would start engaging at different points when releasing the pedal, not anymore.

Hopefully I explained clearly the issues I was having, that also sound like what many others are having. The cost seems high, but I'm glad I bought it. It would be cool if it was added to the FAQ, specifically the Tick piece.

(I am in no way affiliated with Tick, I just feel it is one of the best investments I 've made with this car!)
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the kind words buddy - we certainly appreciate your business!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I just noticed this section is sponsored by McCleod. I cant speak of them so I dont know first hand so not to exclude them but maybe someone with experience can chime in, but for me for now the tick does it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 150% agree with you. I just did the Tick master, new slave and monster level 3, what a world of difference. The master took me like 1/2 hour to put in, piece of cake. Did it by myself also. Im not quite sure why people even try to use the stock master cylinder.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by mikedamageinc
Oh I just noticed this section is sponsored by McCleod. I cant speak of them so I dont know first hand so not to exclude them but maybe someone with experience can chime in, but for me for now the tick does it.
It may be sponsored by McLeod, but Tick Performance is still a site sponsor, and they have a great product. I've been 100% satisfied with mine, that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did mine by myself too, not a bad job. I thought lining up the bolt would be tough but they magically lined up some how. The worst part was pulling up that wire bundle, of course I stuck the master in first and tried and tried before pulling it out and then moving the bundle which was still difficult. I also didnt even have to bleed it afterward, I just bench bled the master first, jiggled it for a while until the plastic neck showed no bubbles and stuck it in the slave and instant pedal pressure.

I'm getting used to the take off now, no more slipping of the clutch now it's slipping of the rear tires!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the tick come pre-bled? I have mine sitting in a box, just showed up on Monday. Just need the monster clutch to arrive and I can start work.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

I got the McCleod one and seems to be a good..... And yes well worth the money
Old 12-17-2009, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Does the tick come pre-bled? I have mine sitting in a box, just showed up on Monday. Just need the monster clutch to arrive and I can start work.
It does not come pre-bled.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another satisfied tick customer here - it's nice to finally be able to shift the t56 like it was meant to be with the tick piece. Install is easy, just bench bleed it first.
If you are doing a clutch swap at the same time, be sure to get the remote bleeder from them as well. It is THE BEST $50 you will ever spend on your tranny set up - and beats the crap out of bleeding the system the normal way an living in fear of break fluid from the bleed killing your brand new clutch
Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words and recommendations buddy.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll go ahead and chime in here as well. NIGHT AND DAY with the Tick Master Cylinder. Its really a awesome piece and I don't know what I was doing without it.

I would add, that getting the remote bleeder line IS A MUST. Bleeding the clutch system with fresh fluid in a matter of 5 mins with only having to pop the hood is worth more than just 50 bucks, trust me haha.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

looks like ill be jumping on this bandwagon soon... Altho its a matter of deciding on a package kit or just the master. I have about 4k on this stock clutch now, But I am most definetly looking forward to this. I cant stand my erratic pedal.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

I just order the Tick master cylinder and remote bleeder. I can`t wait to get it installed. They are awesome guys to deal with.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll join in and say that Tick's master and remote bleeder is awesome. The stiffer pedal is just an added bonus considering that the stock pedal is way to soft.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

I bought a tick and speed bleeder for my head and cam SS. And finally i can shift threw every gear no problem.

I was so satisfied when i bought my corvette I bought the tick and speed bleeder the same day I bought the car.

Thanks tick performance for making the best mod for my SS and vette.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

tick level two, remote bleeder and clutch master...all top notch stuff...the stiff pedal makes it fun to drive IMO.. thanks TICK
Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had any problems with stock hydraulics. My original master has the drill mod. I've installed a new slave with each of my three clutches. I have more than 300 quarter-mile passes. I launch and shift near 7000 rpm. Properly installed and maintained, the stock stuff works great.

Quick Reply: If you have a six speed, buy a tick clutch master cylinder and avoid trouble