Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Worst Luck...More clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Worst Luck...More clutch issues

Setup Camaro h/c/i car, been to the track once since the work was done, spends most time on the street/garage

1st setup Monster 3.5, light flywheel, tick master... Wouldnt power shift Ended up with one of the mis-machined pressure plates, swapped it out 1500 miles

2nd. Vibration with new setup, Monster ships me another pressure plate 250 miles, vibration corrected.

3rd. Have 800 street miles on the car, no track passes, street abuse has been 3 rolling 1st gear burnout, hit 2nd tires spinning (rear started to whine, not doing this any more till the MWC rear gets here) rolling into the throttle in 2nd gear spin the tires. Couple 4th gear roll ons out on the highway. No launches, no clutch dumps off the start, 2 power shift runs which was just the 2-3 shift both times are the hardest the clutch has been abused. Also these times of abuse not all on the same day or all at once.

Now I get a metal on metal noise sometimes when taking off in 1st and a few times in reverse. Vibration, almost sounds like clutch chatter, but faster. I would say seems like the clutch is slipping, but obviously it is since I am just taking off from a stop.

Really dont feel like taking this thing apart again, but probably dont have a choice. I told myself if I took trans out again an automatic was going in the car. Really not sure that I want to do that though...lol

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Teching In

sucks
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Metal on metal? Mine sounds like a gang of turkies when I take off in first gear, and it's progressively getting worse. They told me that it was just glazed and needed to have the crap driven out of it. It seems to get better if I just dump the clutch a few times, or just get the tranny warm and it seems to get better.

All in all though, I'm still fairly happy with it. I mean, it's got a fairly stiff pedal (level III) and it makes some noise if I drive it like a woman, but it will laugh at 600rwhp (not my scenario ) and there are tons of 12 bolt parts in the scrap yard because of them.

I got one of the first for an Fbody back a year ago.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:09 AM
10 Second Club

thats interesting, well I guess its good the 9" is coming so I can test that theory then. Dont think the stock rear would like that much right now. Thats funny with the turkey reference, that really is a way to describe the noise.

Thanks, maybe not bad luck after all, just driving it to easily.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

The sound you hear during clutch engagement, i.e. moving away from a stopped position, is normal for a carbon-semi-metallic based disc material. This sound is typically heard more commonly in cooler weather as temperature affects the way the metallic compound of the disc interacts with the metal friction surface of the pressure-plate and flywheel. The "turkey" reference is a good one. I have also heard it described as the sound of fingernails on a chalk-board and this too seems pretty accurate. Of course our individual perspective of sound is so subjective.

Chatter is also common during engagement and it too can be made "worse" by colder weather. I can't help but wonder though about the flatness of the flywheel you are using. I know you have taken the parts out more than once but how often was the flywheel re-cut? It's possible that some of your chatter results from a flywheel surface inconsistency.

I know these aren't my parts but the info provided is still relative. If you have any further questions let me know and hopefully Steve or gen14 will repond shortly. Thanks,
Old 12-17-2009, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

The flywheel was replaced with the first setup, only had 250 easy miles on it with the 2nd pressure plate. Not that things dont happen then.

You are right with the temp change, the noise didnt start till we had a temp drop here. I have never had a disc with this material, so sounds like its all pretty normal. I notice the noise happens the most when I back out of the garage and then go to take off up the street. So the setup is cold, happens alot less once I have driven the car a couple miles. Most trips these days are just to run it around on a 10 mile loop and keep everything circulating and charged.

Thanks again for the insight of whats normal with this type of clutch. I really was dreading taking it out again. Although I have it down to about an hour and forty-five job start to finish.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
FormerVendor

No problem at all...helping the community is why I am here. If there is anything else you need don't hesitate to ask. As for your time for removal...that is pretty good. I know you don't enjoy pulling the trans but at least you have gotten to learn a lot in the process and learning is a good thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Unfortunately, working on cars is my day job, which makes working on my car not so fun.

Although it is nice having a lift and all the tools to do the job.

I cant work on the ground anymore and have to have air tools.

Thanks again

Last edited by Cobra R; 12-17-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck hope you get it solved. I had one of the bad PP plates in my car as well, on my 3rd Monster too, Steve is the MAN for customer service tho. Took car of me and then some A+. I now have a Level 6; and love it. I already have a MWC 9' and this one has seen about 20 or so 6800 dumps, etc. Takes it and begs for more.
Steve will take care of his customers, so not to worry. I have taken my tranny out about 6 times in the last year....i was in the same boat. Said i was gonna sell everything, and now i have a good working set-up...knock on wood.

Quick Reply: Worst Luck...More clutch issues