Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm pretty sure that if the monster stage 6 is anything like a spec stage 5 there is no actual break in recomended. Those are race clutches that aren't designed to last a lifetime. How do you think dedicated track cars break their clutches in? Prolly a 7k rpm leave off the line on 28" slicks!

To the OP I've been running my spec 3+ for about 2 years and almost 10k miles. LOTS of passes at over 700ft lbs of torque to the tires on slicks and drag radials. And even more highway pulls to the top of 4th, and a couple of 5th gears pulls against liter bikes. Clutch is still holding and only slips at the track when I slip the hell out of it at the track tring to get the car to leave on radials. But on slicks a 6k clutch dump it doesn't bat an eye. And mine drives great in traffic. But I'm a little more tolerable to things likethis then most people. I drive it with a spool to, and a 254/257 camshaft

if you want somthing to handle anything over 500 to the wheels and less than 900 I would go with the 3+. Or possibly a 4+, might be what I try next.

GOODLUCK!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I'm pretty sure that if the monster stage 6 is anything like a spec stage 5 there is no actual break in recomended. Those are race clutches that aren't designed to last a lifetime. How do you think dedicated track cars break their clutches in? Prolly a 7k rpm leave off the line on 28" slicks!

To the OP I've been running my spec 3+ for about 2 years and almost 10k miles. LOTS of passes at over 700ft lbs of torque to the tires on slicks and drag radials. And even more highway pulls to the top of 4th, and a couple of 5th gears pulls against liter bikes. Clutch is still holding and only slips at the track when I slip the hell out of it at the track tring to get the car to leave on radials. But on slicks a 6k clutch dump it doesn't bat an eye. And mine drives great in traffic. But I'm a little more tolerable to things likethis then most people. I drive it with a spool to, and a 254/257 camshaft

if you want somthing to handle anything over 500 to the wheels and less than 900 I would go with the 3+. Or possibly a 4+, might be what I try next.

GOODLUCK!
Thanks. I'm at 521/480 now with the 403. The Spec 3+ will be on the back of the 427 VA Speed is doing for me.

Last edited by WKMCD; 12-24-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
Not trying to be an jerk, but how do you break in a clutch on the dyno and the highway. Arent you supose to break in a clutch with stop and go driving so actually have to slip the clutch? You dont really work the clutch too often on the highway.
Supposed to... yes. I said that to demonstrate that even with an "improper break-in" I still have no chatter, and no problems with the clutch.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do not put anything spec in your car.call mike at ws6store and get the monster2 or 3.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have sold and installed many Spec Stage 3+ clutch assemblies, and they have not failed us yet. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29 Here is a Cadillac CTS-V that is producing 864 rwhp, that we installed the Spec Stage 3+ clutch in several years ago, it is still going strong after many miles on the street and some drag strip use. This V has a spool in it, which can put even more stress on the clutch. Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We have sold and installed many Spec Stage 3+ clutch assemblies, and they have not failed us yet. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29 Here is a Cadillac CTS-V that is producing 864 rwhp, that we installed the Spec Stage 3+ clutch in several years ago, it is still going strong after many miles on the street and some drag strip use. This V has a spool in it, which can put even more stress on the clutch. Bob
That's encouraging. I have a good friend pushing 780RWHP through one and he loves it.