Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Eye Candy...faceplated T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
anyone have any good vids of a faceplated t56. That one looks like a pain in the *** to drive, and its not any faster at WOT or anything?

Well, it WILL be faster AND ALOT stronger. No more keys to break, no more springs to break, no more synchonizers to wear/break.

Basically you have made your tranny stronger, more reilable, and quicker.

Now, teh quicker part..noticeable in ET? Well, if you are a great gear banger to begin with...questionable, but probaly some. If you are an average driver, faceplating just made you a pretty damn good one!

But faceplating serves more than just "quicker et's". The "for sureness" of it...you KNOW you are gonna hit all the gears..not a question of, I hope I don't miss 3rd this time...you WILL hit it. As i said above, is pretty much impossible to miss a gear at this point. So, you KNOW you are gonna get a clean pass down track.
Reliability...increased it tremendously by ridding the tranny of springs/keys/synchro's. Not saying you CAN'T brake a faeplate, but IS much stronger than parts it replaced, MUCH stronger.

Hope that helps some.

Would like to add this:
If you are a POOR driver, then you just became a pretty good one. So, in teh case of poor and average driver, then YES, faceplating will result in quicker ET's. great driver alread? Well, I am sure might be able to squeak out some quicker ET's...not saying you are gonna jump in and drive .2 - .3 quicker, but will be some (and again, quicker ET's is not the real reason you are doing this...reliability/stronger and no more missed shift's is the main reason)
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
What is the difference between this and a Dog Box setup, they seem to do the same thing, but then again, I have only had a limited experaince with them? When I had my 3000GT VR4 and was messing with the Imports I knew a few that had the Dog Box Trans. It was fun to drive, but it needs a little getting use to for traffic use.

Dog Box info:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334

DM

Well, the Dog Ring setup is not one that I am all that familiar with, to be honest (you get nothing but that over here) with you.
I think Jericho transmission does something like that to their tranny, and I THINK it is used in teh road racing crowd, allowing you to downshift. Again, not real sure on that...I have heard the term, but not real familiar.

See if I can find something....
Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Got teh answer on teh dog ring...same thing as faceplating. GForce calls their term of faceplating, "Dog Ring" setup.

I googled Dog Ring transmisson, and it was teh top selection, and it took me to an article that GForce worked over a T5 tranny, and did away with teh stock synchro's and "Dog Ringed" it.

But again, same thing as faceplating, which is described in one of my post's above.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by studderin
anyone have any good vids of a faceplated t56. That one looks like a pain in the *** to drive, and its not any faster at WOT or anything?
Oh, and I forgot, at higher RPM's, synchonized trannies CAN become difficult to get into gear, and depending on how high, even impossible to get into gear.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, all depends...but faceplating 4 gears (5th and 6th are not faceplated, and are still synchronized) will normally run ya @ $800-$1000 all depending on a few things.

At this moment ANYTHING is possible, if your wallet is deep enough, but no, to the best of my knowledge, no one is making straight cut gears for teh T56. Now, I am not 100% on that, but am 99% positive.
There are options in getting the gears made out of a stronger alloy, the 9310, and that will set ya back @ $2500+
Is that for the gears and the face plating or is it for gears sent in for the face plating just to clarify.

Thanks for the reply i knew G force made gear sets but was not sure on if they were straight cut or not. That explains the high cost of a G force internal T56.

Do you offer the parts mail order for us who do the rebuilding our selves? I know they are difficult but i have the capability and tooling to do the complete rebuilds in house just dont have anyone for the parts supply since some company went out of business.

Thanks
Tommy
Old 02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Subscribing. Very good read. Already decided that this is the route to go for me and spoke with you guys a while back. I will take my T56 into the 9s lol. It will be going in along with the sintired iron Monster clutch. My only question is would it be any cheaper to faceplate a already built up T56? My T56 is a Stage 3 and I was just curious if any of the parts would be reused making the process cheaper at all? I'm guessing it probably won't because some of my built up parts (carbon syncros, hardened keys etc.) are done away with in the faceplating process. Just figured it'd be worth a shot.

Last edited by CJJones87; 02-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Makes me miss my astro/gforce t5

Then again I also miss my cable clutch...........

Straight cut gears and people think you have a blower!!! Even with a different helix the transmission still whines up and sounds straight sexy.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Great write up!!

If you don't mind me asking why was the experience with Liberty not so good?

Also, are the gears painted flat black?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Great write up!!

Basically, it just took a lot longer than they said it would. They said 2-3 weeks when it'll be right at 2 months when I get the trans back. I'm sure the holidays had some to do with it, but Derek had a few problems with them not calling him back when they said they would. Their work is absolutely top notch though. I'm not sure about the gears being painted but I don't think they are.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Reaper SS
Is that for the gears and the face plating or is it for gears sent in for the face plating just to clarify.

Thanks for the reply i knew G force made gear sets but was not sure on if they were straight cut or not. That explains the high cost of a G force internal T56.

Do you offer the parts mail order for us who do the rebuilding our selves? I know they are difficult but i have the capability and tooling to do the complete rebuilds in house just dont have anyone for the parts supply since some company went out of business.

Thanks
Tommy
On something like that, best to call or send me a PM for pricing.

No, GForce gears are not straight cut.

Certain parts I sale mail order yes, but if in need of something custom, need to call or send a PM and I can take care of you.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CJJones87
Subscribing. Very good read. Already decided that this is the route to go for me and spoke with you guys a while back. I will take my T56 into the 9s lol. It will be going in along with the sintired iron Monster clutch. My only question is would it be any cheaper to faceplate a already built up T56? My T56 is a Stage 3 and I was just curious if any of the parts would be reused making the process cheaper at all? I'm guessing it probably won't because some of my built up parts (carbon syncros, hardened keys etc.) are done away with in the faceplating process. Just figured it'd be worth a shot.

. All depends on what you have done...as really teh ONLY thing that gets carried over, from say a Level 2 rebuild is the steel fork and bronze fork pads.

But I work with you guys (LS1tech members) as best I can, and cut some good deals for you guys, and more you spend with us, more I cut $$$ off our services. I can't cut anymoney off a Monster clutch, as Monster is VERY strict on having ONE (1) price across the board for all dealers....however, if you buy a clutch from us, it does not go unnoticed
Old 02-16-2010, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
Great write up!!

I have dealt with Liberty in the past on Faceplating, and normally pretty good in getting parts turned @ and back to us. This time was a little slow, yes. I can say that it was right before holidays when i sent parts in, so I am sure tech's had vacation time, then New year rolled @, etc...so, maybe that is why????

Either way, even though this time was a bit slow, yes, normally things go smooth and more timely.

Oh,no gears are not painted...got blasted//cleaned/mag'd for cracks is why the different "look"
Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad vid but you can here 2/3rd in it
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...t=MOV04628.flv

this is about the slowest you can shift one. I put a pistol grip on and was having troubles missing gears so this was very slow shifting. with the lss and stock **** i never lift. i was lifting here to make sure i was in gear(and the correct one)
Taner said not to use a pistol grip, I should have listened
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvvO...eature=related
Old 02-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Teching In

how do I get in touch with you for a t56 rebuild thanks bmike666@aol.com

Quick Reply: Eye Candy...faceplated T56