Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best clutch for 400rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the ls7 clutch not too long ago and i love it! really smooth but can grab like a bitch feels pretty much stock too
Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
I never said that the LS7 clutch was the way to make your car go down the track the fastest ever anywhere show me a thread where I did and I'll buy ten Monster clutches right now. Besides that I need no convincing that by giving up some stock driving manners to a more aggressive clutch set up like the Monster 3 etc Im sure it would 60' better I've never once posted anything to the like that the LS7 clutch was going to put you in the winners circle. But it does perform well theres nothing sleezy about 1.6x 60's thats plenty quick enough short times for me ( quicker than my buddies 8 second boosted Vette ) and that was only a TR224 375rwhp build!

That said when I do chime in about the LS7 and how great it is I do so with the street use remarks because that is indeed what it is. A street clutch. But it does perform well at the track too and IMO its tough as nails! Certainly not the fastest I'll agree but when comparing cost, i feel its by far the best suited clutch for dual purpose street and track cars not making huge power.

Hows $330.00 shipped to NY for a complete brand new in boxes LS7 clutch kit with flywheel grab you? Thats what I paid ( I traveled through the US a lot with work that year hence the ship to NY part )

At the time I was already 10+K into my build and looking to save costs and even more importantly Monster was not even a company at that time so it was Spec, Ram, Stock ( LS1 or LS6 ), McLeod,or Tex which were DAYUM pricey but proven. There may have been others I dont recall but its not important whats important is that this was all unexpected for me the LS7 clutch came out just as I was finishing my build a few years ago.

I took a chance and guess what? In the end four years later? Yay best of both worlds it was/is great how often does that happen?

Now after four years of pounding and at least 20K street miles? Its still mint! Can you blame me for not spreading the good word? I dont do this to in anyway offend anyone I just do it to help the fellow members as thats what these boards are about. Sharing tech and ideas, what worked didnt work etc. So I do my part to contribute and offer my opinions.

Im sure the Monster clutches are great and you guys sure work your buns off trying to sell them I'll give you that and maybe I'll end up buying one at some point. But the cost is high IMO plus I already have a Tex Z-Grip that I bought locally ( keep in mind shipping across US/Can border requires delicacy or we GET SCREWED on stupid and unnecessary fees ) Im sure you know what its like when your gov't forms arent filled out correctly? Try arguing with CUSTOMS officers and then even better try getting your parts! Pay up sucka so local purchases are key for me.

Now if you want to sell my a new Monster stage 3 kit for $330.00 USD then sign me up
$330 for a LS7 unit doesn't grab me at all, it's a sub-par stock clutch that will not stand up to abuse and leaves power on the table. I want to make certain that consumers don't get the wrong idea and think that the LS7 is the be all end all clutch, nothing more.

I apologize that I took what you were saying incorrectly, but, the offer still stands.

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Stock ZO6 runs 430-450~ish RWHP... Not too too much of a difference. The LS7 clutch is designed for a stock ZO6 @ 505 flywheel. It doesn't take much for us to get TO that point, let alone past it.

But in the LS7 clutch's defense; my buddy had sticky 555's @ 315 in the back.
Yep and they slip and fail on a consistent basis in the new Z06's.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I want to make certain that consumers don't get the wrong idea and think that the LS7 is the be all end all clutch, nothing more.
Fair enough. You dont have to apologize to me man we're all free to have our own opinions and Im sure Moster clutches are better for racing than LS7 clutches are. Besides im overworked and exhausted and bite peoples heads off all the time its in my nature. Thankfully Im big enough to avoid fisticuffs most of the time

From the OP's first post;

whats the best an cheapest clutch for 400+ rwhp?
Hence my comments about the LS7 it is cheap and it does work and it is tough. In my experience at least I have nothing to gain by saying it like I see it. For someone on a budget you could do a hell of a lot worse than an LS7 clutch set up.

Besides all clutches fail. Hell the damn Space Shuttle blew up once and look at what its costs? Just because it failed doesnt mean it was/wasnt good. For the mere handful of issues Ive seen complaining about the LS7 clutch compared to the legions of fans. Well... The numbers speak on their own and its very seldom non pro's or non sponsors are in here waving the flag about how good their parts are when their up and running, their out enjoying. Most guys only come into forums for support when theres a problem so considering that as well theres a lot more happy LS7 clutch owners than not.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

I love my ls7, pedal is easy and it has never slipped on me while launching or powershifting with 387rwhp 376ftlb. I've driven a car with a monster clutch and it was also nice, the pedal was fairly easy as well compared to my old ram powergrip. I go to the track maybe twice a year, I didn't really see the need to spend $250 more for a monster clutch that holds 20 more hp.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

I'm considering picking up an ls7 clutch for my 00 t/a. Going to have headers,intake,tb,torquer2 cam, w/ 80k miles on my car, a new clutch would probably be a good idea. What is the difference in feeling steping to an ls7 vs an ls1 stock clutch? thanks in advanced.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 212 Posts

The LS7 Clutch setup is going to be a little more snappier..it engages better than the LS1.

I put one in a friend of mine's truck when I did the T56 Swap into it, so far it's holding up nicely.

I don't track my Car so if I was looking for a cheaper alternative I would get a LS7 Clutch Kit..I've seen them on WS6 Store for $450.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Monster Stage III here! ****** love it.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by airattack111
I love my ls7, pedal is easy and it has never slipped on me while launching or powershifting with 387rwhp 376ftlb. I've driven a car with a monster clutch and it was also nice, the pedal was fairly easy as well compared to my old ram powergrip. I go to the track maybe twice a year, I didn't really see the need to spend $250 more for a monster clutch that holds 20 more hp.
The Monster clutches are rated in rwhp. I seriously doubt that on a similar rating scale, the LS7 would be advertised at the Z06's flywheel HP number of 505. Vehicle weight has a lot to do with this also. The heavier the vehicle, the worse you need a real clutch.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a RAM 6130vds clutch kit with all new hydraulics (adjustable master too)
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by garylisko
I'm considering picking up an ls7 clutch for my 00 t/a. Going to have headers,intake,tb,torquer2 cam, w/ 80k miles on my car, a new clutch would probably be a good idea. What is the difference in feeling steping to an ls7 vs an ls1 stock clutch? thanks in advanced.

The LS7 is a bit odd for the first few drives as it does its adjusting and beds in etc. Otherwise they feel exactly the same as a stock LS1 clutch in terms of pedal effort and smooth engagement but the BITE is substantially higher. Chirps fourth no problems in my car
Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
400 rwhp Heads cam etc. LS7 clutch, Four seasons and 20k miles of street with a TON of 7K dumps cutting consistent 1.6x 60's and just pulled it out thinking it must be toast... It smelled a lot at the track and all but the disk, pp, and flywheel still all literally look like they have 3k miles on them of mild street use. I cant believe it actually. Literally it looks like there is no wear at all I am sooo shocked Im tempted to put it back in even with my new modded LS3 build. I bought a new Tex X grip but Im thinking about selling it and sticking with the proven LS7.

LS7 clutches are amazing IMO.

I am so shocked if someone told me they sneakily changed the clutch on me at the end of last year just to mess with my head, I'd believe them. You know how many different clutches I've run over the years and had complaints with pretty much all of them for some reason or another but the LS7 clutch is the go to choice for a street driven, weekend track weapon as I see it.

Plus it drives and feel butter smooth as stock you give up NOTHING by running it other than a few pounds of weight. But its the weight that keeps them mighty

When its time to change my clutch I think Im gonna be going with an ls7 clutch too. From what Ive seen its a nice clutch for a 400rwhp street car for the price.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
9 Second Club

the pressure plate is the main place i see thats needs a clutch upgrade quickest.Stock after a run the pedal feels very strange or pedal can even be stuck to the floor.
Has anyone had pressure plate(pedal) prblems with the ls7 after stomping on it a few times?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

why don't they also rate clutches in consideration of torque output? to me. that would be just as important... am i wrong?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dummybait
why don't they also rate clutches in consideration of torque output? to me. that would be just as important... am i wrong?
more important but most people don't know their TQ number
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperZ
the pressure plate is the main place i see thats needs a clutch upgrade quickest.Stock after a run the pedal feels very strange or pedal can even be stuck to the floor.
Has anyone had pressure plate(pedal) prblems with the ls7 after stomping on it a few times?
IM starting to have the same problem on my ls6 clutch after a hard 1-2 shift. It seems to float around 5500rpms for a split second because the clutch is slipping. I suppose 400rwhp is past the limit for the ls6 clutch
Old 04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

I got an LS7 clutch on a 423RWHP set up, grabs nice, feel smooth, no problems. Pedal pressure is just about stock
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My factory clutch has not failed yet, but I think I am going with a Monster clutch. I dont think I need a stage 3 and I think I want a solid disc. I think. Im, 388 rwhp.

Quick Reply: Best clutch for 400rwhp