Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best clutch for 400rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best clutch for 400rwhp

i need a new clutch fast, my stock one gave out on me today. whats the best an cheapest clutch for 400+ rwhp?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

ls7....
Old 03-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Teching In

i considered that but a disc, plate, and fly. Slave, flywheel bolts, and pilot bearing are going to have to be added to it. That can be pricey.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the disc, plate, and fly wheel are like $500 for everything from Scoggin Dickey

EDIT: http://www.sdpc2000.com/details/scog...center/sdls7ck
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Teching In

doesnt that kit come with the ls7 flywheel? an in order to use the clutch on a ls1 you need a ls2 flywheel from what i read. is there a way to order the clutch an evrything with the other flywheel on that website?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, you do need the LS2 from what I've read, but I think you can get it with the LS2 flywheel. Might have to call them or something?

I see this kit recommended pretty often, so they must have some way of setting this up!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just noticed plate/disk and flywheel
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Cant beat the LS7 even for twice the money. Watch my posts I have pics to PROVE what im talking about coming soon
Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Monster level 2 or 3 premium kit. Everything you need in one nice neat package. Excellant warranty and customer service.
http://www.monsterclutches.com/gm.html
Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Teching In

I use the spec 2+ and it works great....for a few dollars

my car is 408 rwhp
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

My stocker has been holding 400rwhp for two years now. Perhaps Its just how I drive it though.
ID say Ls7 for the bang for buck.

Cam: That 8.8 looks like a mini gun off a Blackhawk or something.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Teching In

LS7 is where it's at. I have one on my stock car. I know I can't hurt the stupid thing and it drives just like stock.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I'd have to respectfully disagree with the LS7 clutch.. Good for a bolt on car, but a buddy of mine did an MS4 and PRC heads with a bunch of other mods, and his LS7 clutch started slipping like crazy after the install. He's running a monster clutch now.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going monster stage 3. I was going to go LS7 but i dont want to have to replace it after i go heads/cam just like the guy above said. And with the premium kit, you get everything you get with the LS7 but with a lightweight flywheel, slave cylinder, alignment tool and bolts. To me you really arent saving that much with the LS7 by the time you buy the slave for an aditional $130.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I'd have to respectfully disagree with the LS7 clutch.. Good for a bolt on car, but a buddy of mine did an MS4 and PRC heads with a bunch of other mods, and his LS7 clutch started slipping like crazy after the install. He's running a monster clutch now.
That sounds like a bit more than 400rwhp
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

400 rwhp Heads cam etc. LS7 clutch, Four seasons and 20k miles of street with a TON of 7K dumps cutting consistent 1.6x 60's and just pulled it out thinking it must be toast... It smelled a lot at the track and all but the disk, pp, and flywheel still all literally look like they have 3k miles on them of mild street use. I cant believe it actually. Literally it looks like there is no wear at all I am sooo shocked Im tempted to put it back in even with my new modded LS3 build. I bought a new Tex X grip but Im thinking about selling it and sticking with the proven LS7.

LS7 clutches are amazing IMO.

I am so shocked if someone told me they sneakily changed the clutch on me at the end of last year just to mess with my head, I'd believe them. You know how many different clutches I've run over the years and had complaints with pretty much all of them for some reason or another but the LS7 clutch is the go to choice for a street driven, weekend track weapon as I see it.

Plus it drives and feel butter smooth as stock you give up NOTHING by running it other than a few pounds of weight. But its the weight that keeps them mighty
Old 03-08-2010, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
400 rwhp Heads cam etc. LS7 clutch, Four seasons and 20k miles of street with a TON of 7K dumps cutting consistent 1.6x 60's and just pulled it out thinking it must be toast... It smelled a lot at the track and all but the disk, pp, and flywheel still all literally look like they have 3k miles on them of mild street use. I cant believe it actually. Literally it looks like there is no wear at all I am sooo shocked Im tempted to put it back in even with my new modded LS3 build. I bought a new Tex X grip but Im thinking about selling it and sticking with the proven LS7.

LS7 clutches are amazing IMO.

I am so shocked if someone told me they sneakily changed the clutch on me at the end of last year just to mess with my head, I'd believe them. You know how many different clutches I've run over the years and had complaints with pretty much all of them for some reason or another but the LS7 clutch is the go to choice for a street driven, weekend track weapon as I see it.

Plus it drives and feel butter smooth as stock you give up NOTHING by running it other than a few pounds of weight. But its the weight that keeps them mighty
I'll make a deal with you...

Put the LS7 back in your car and if it lasts through all the tuning and if it lasts through your track passes post up the results. When you do shoot me an email and I'll send you a Monster Level 3 for free to put in your car and take to the track. Post up the results of those runs (obviously DA and other factors should be similar on both days, etc.) and if they are slower I'll let you keep the Monster and I won't say anything negative about the LS7's again...

From a clutch manufacturers/technical stand point, the coefficient on the friction material of a LS7 is terrible as is the plate load on the terrible self adjusting pressure plate. It's a great stock piece and that is about it.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

any clutch you are looking to buy...

Monster
Spec
LS7
Ram
etc...

The WS6 Store has you covered. they have anything u could need...and then some.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I never said that the LS7 clutch was the way to make your car go down the track the fastest ever anywhere show me a thread where I did and I'll buy ten Monster clutches right now. Besides that I need no convincing that by giving up some stock driving manners to a more aggressive clutch set up like the Monster 3 etc Im sure it would 60' better I've never once posted anything to the like that the LS7 clutch was going to put you in the winners circle. But it does perform well theres nothing sleezy about 1.6x 60's thats plenty quick enough short times for me ( quicker than my buddies 8 second boosted Vette ) and that was only a TR224 375rwhp build!

That said when I do chime in about the LS7 and how great it is I do so with the street use remarks because that is indeed what it is. A street clutch. But it does perform well at the track too and IMO its tough as nails! Certainly not the fastest I'll agree but when comparing cost, i feel its by far the best suited clutch for dual purpose street and track cars not making huge power.

Hows $330.00 shipped to NY for a complete brand new in boxes LS7 clutch kit with flywheel grab you? Thats what I paid ( I traveled through the US a lot with work that year hence the ship to NY part )

At the time I was already 10+K into my build and looking to save costs and even more importantly Monster was not even a company at that time so it was Spec, Ram, Stock ( LS1 or LS6 ), McLeod,or Tex which were DAYUM pricey but proven. There may have been others I dont recall but its not important whats important is that this was all unexpected for me the LS7 clutch came out just as I was finishing my build a few years ago.

I took a chance and guess what? In the end four years later? Yay best of both worlds it was/is great how often does that happen?

Now after four years of pounding and at least 20K street miles? Its still mint! Can you blame me for not spreading the good word? I dont do this to in anyway offend anyone I just do it to help the fellow members as thats what these boards are about. Sharing tech and ideas, what worked didnt work etc. So I do my part to contribute and offer my opinions.

Im sure the Monster clutches are great and you guys sure work your buns off trying to sell them I'll give you that and maybe I'll end up buying one at some point. But the cost is high IMO plus I already have a Tex Z-Grip that I bought locally ( keep in mind shipping across US/Can border requires delicacy or we GET SCREWED on stupid and unnecessary fees ) Im sure you know what its like when your gov't forms arent filled out correctly? Try arguing with CUSTOMS officers and then even better try getting your parts! Pay up sucka so local purchases are key for me.

Now if you want to sell my a new Monster stage 3 kit for $330.00 USD then sign me up
Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
That sounds like a bit more than 400rwhp
Stock ZO6 runs 430-450~ish RWHP... Not too too much of a difference. The LS7 clutch is designed for a stock ZO6 @ 505 flywheel. It doesn't take much for us to get TO that point, let alone past it.

But in the LS7 clutch's defense; my buddy had sticky 555's @ 315 in the back.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 03-08-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Best clutch for 400rwhp