Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How To Install Master Cylinder Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting. i'll be doing the same thing here soon and i was kinda leary about it but after watching this vid i have pretty good confidence i can do it. thanx alot for this vid. they need to have more of these type vids when doing installs on stuff.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobodog
very interesting. i'll be doing the same thing here soon and i was kinda leary about it but after watching this vid i have pretty good confidence i can do it. thanx alot for this vid. they need to have more of these type vids when doing installs on stuff.
Its not bad and can be done in a few hours. I like giving people hope!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Its not bad and can be done in a few hours. I like giving people hope!
This video, along with your Koni install video, is excellent. You have definately taken the intimidation factor out of these jobs, and give the viewer a fun perspective about working on our cars. Having fun is what it's all about.

Thank you sir!

Last edited by ZigZagZ; 04-08-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just did my TIck master yesterday. Man was it a pain to get the old master out! The tick wasnt too bad, just hard to get that big *** bracket that they come with down and into position, especially without being able to see anything cause of the brake booster. Once i got it down, it dropped into place, and i bolted it down.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Man was it a pain to get the old master out!
Tell me about it. It can be a freakin nightmare. It can get stuck in a weird position and it's like you can't get it out.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah so deffenitly installed a tick mc in my 05 gto buttttttt i fucked up
i was loosening the bleeder and my dumbass loosened it to much and it dropped in the bellhousing!!!!!!!!!!! luckly went to kragen got 3" flex magnet and got it out but now problem is putting it back in!! ahhh lol im a dumbass
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow great vid, thanks. I've been wanting to get a new clutch/master/slave cylinder but the costs of installation have kept me away. But I think with this video I'll be able to do the master cylinder myself and save probably $200 in installation. I'm guessing that with a tick master cylinder it's pretty much the same putting it in? Also where is the slave cylinder? Is that a fairly easy job I could do myself or should I leave that to the shop when they do my clutch?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
Wow great vid, thanks. I've been wanting to get a new clutch/master/slave cylinder but the costs of installation have kept me away. But I think with this video I'll be able to do the master cylinder myself and save probably $200 in installation. I'm guessing that with a tick master cylinder it's pretty much the same putting it in? Also where is the slave cylinder? Is that a fairly easy job I could do myself or should I leave that to the shop when they do my clutch?
Leave it to the shop if you are having a shop do your clutch. You have to drop the tranny to do the slave.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

one o the tech came by and he was able to thread it back on, but now it dont seem like the line wanan build pressure when we bleed it
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1904gto
yeah so deffenitly installed a tick mc in my 05 gto buttttttt i fucked up
i was loosening the bleeder and my dumbass loosened it to much and it dropped in the bellhousing!!!!!!!!!!! luckly went to kragen got 3" flex magnet and got it out but now problem is putting it back in!! ahhh lol im a dumbass
Damn that sucks man, I hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

I did the Drill Mod after my pedal/clutch was releasing near the floor. (Found out there was no fluid in my clutch reservoir after multiple high speed runs). I attempted to bleed the system multiple times to see if the pedal would come back to life and it didn't.
I went along and completed the drill mod. Pressure is back in the pedal. Took the car out for a run and the clutch is slipping in higher gears. Did I not bleed it enough or do I have another problem? Or could the clutch possibly have brake fluid on it causing it from bleeding the slave? I'm thinking it could be air in the line that is not allowing the clutch to engage fully?

Replaced the slave. Slip almost went away. Should have checked the clutch but didn't have the proper tools. Went out and did a few hard burnouts and the clutch holds now in every gear. Must have had fluid on the disc.

Last edited by transfan0186; 05-01-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 04-17-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a leak to me. I'd find out where that fluid is going before anything else.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blue Knight, you're the best, man!!

I purchased a new GM Master Cylinder for my Firebird over a year ago (that way I can save my original) with the intentions of performing this mod to it and having it ready to go in, once I tear the original out.

I hadn't yet mustered the courage to start taking my car apart, but after seeing your video, I'd have to say, I feel alot more confident that I can pull this off without a hitch.

Seeing the necessary steps being performed gets rid of any second-guessing you may have as you're modifing something that can't be un-modified.

Thanks alot, man and keep up the good work!

Sidenote: It took me like 30 minutes to watch these two short videos. The video would play for like 5-10 seconds and then stop and I'd have to wait 10-20 seconds for it to start again. I thought maybe my laptop was being a bitch, but it seemed to play your other videos just fine. Just these two wanted to stop and start. Its probably not anything on your end, but I thought I'd mention it.

I did see a previous post say something about uploading your vids to YouTube. Gonna give that idea a "+1". I got a couple vids of my own on there and they always play just fine. Just a thought.

Thats all I got. Thanks again.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Really helpful thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah guys. I need to get them all to youtube as well. I will do it sometime.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

I love you.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

if no one has told you let me, YOU ARE THE FU!@#$ MAN
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy you a beer if you are close by. Great work man.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool video man. keep them coming
Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You got the U-Bolt on in 30 seconds? I hate you. I've been stuck on that for like 2 days and the POS just won't slide in. I'm thinking of drilling one of the holes slightly bigger to allow some wiggle room.

Nice video though. Have you thought about hosting them on YouTube instead? It would only have to be one video that way.

Quick Reply: How To Install Master Cylinder Video