Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into gear when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into gear when stopped

I recently bought a 95 Formula 6 Speed with a blown head gasket and recently got the car running.

The car shifts perfectly at high rpms and when moving at all. No grinding at all.

However, when I am setting still, it is sometimes very hard to get the car to go into any gear.

The car has a Pro 5.0 shifter and a centerforce clutch. The clutch feels fine and does not seem like its dragging at all and the engagement point feels about like it should.

Any suggestions on what to try?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
9 Second Club

Sounds to me like some antifreeze got on the clutch disc. It will make the clutch disc kind of sticky and not release all the way. SO then the clutch will be turning a little bit making it hard to get into gear. OR you have some air in the clutch line. Or the sincros are out in the transmision. Couple of posibilities there.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Teching In

To be a little more clear, the car doesn't always do this. Its only sometimes, and when it does, it doesn't want to go into any gear.

If the synchros were out, wouldn't it be gear specific? Also, wouldn't it be noticeable shifting fast at high rpms. Like I said it shifts absolutely perfectly while driving.

Quick Reply: Hard to get into gear when stopped