Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Another clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another clutch question

Greetings everybody! I guess technically, this is my first post. I have done tons of research...so much info on this forum!

So...I have a 95 Z28 w/a 6-speed trans. Last weekend I replaced the rear main seal, resurfaced the flywheel,new clutch kit & slave cylinder. I got everything buttoned back up and it run fine for a week (300 miles). Yesterday, It all went south!! The clutch became very stiff and when I went to press the clutch it would make the motor stall. After almost 4 hours of research over the last 2 days, I thought it might be air in the clutch fluid. I pulled off the reservoir cap, and very little oil was in there. I poured some fluid in and 5 or 6 bubbles come out the top of the reservoir...I thought sweet maybe it was easier than I thought. Well now my problem is that there is absolutely no pressure on the clutch pedal now...I mean nothing! So I took the car out of gear and started it up. Well now not only do I not have any clutch pressure in the pedal, I now have a whining noise coming from the bell-housing. Now have 2 problems...1 being I need to properly bleed the clutch master cylinder and 2...what the f is that whining noise. Please feel free to ask more questions, as I will keep a close eye on the thread. This is my dd and I have borrowed another vehicle for a few days until I can fix my problem. What do you think?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK first When you put the clutch in did you measure the setup to see if you have to have a shim, to get proper engagement and disengagement, When you had the flywheel surfaced You have to put a shim behind it to make up the difference that you lost, just to start with, then measure to see if you need a shim, There is a sticky in the top of this forum showing how to do it. I am not sure what the noise is , could be the bearing, Or you could have already ruined the clutch, Have to pull it to see. Now to bleed the system You are about to learn a lesson about these cars, They are a true PITA to bleed, alot of folks swear by the mityvac pump It seems to work, I have used it once and it did work. The way I would do it if I was you is bleed the master first (disconnect the line, Put a small screwdriver in the end of the hose, so fluid can get out, put the end of the hose in a container making sure it is submerged in fluid, and have someone pump the clutch slowly up and back, to get all the air out, then fill the resorvoir and bleed the slave. If you have no Hydraulic pressure You have no clutch disengagement.

From what you have described, I really believe you have some serious clutch issues, and need to pull the trans and check everything out. There is some serious engagement problems from what you are describing.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately, I did not measure for a shim before re-installing the clutch...I did watch the guy resurface the flywheel, barely took anything off. I guess I'm still confused as to why it ran great for 300 miles and all of a sudden..goes to s**t? I guess I'll still hold out hope that its an air in the line problem. Thanks for your input, I will attempt to bleed the system when I get off work tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed....not looking forward to pulling the trans again, I did it by myself and was a PITA!!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Where is this bleeder valve that everyone speaks of? I don't think my car has one...95 LT1 w/a 6spd trans. Is this thing attached to anything related to the master or slave? All im finding or "feeling" is only the braded line that runs between the slave and master...nothing on top of trans or anywhere...super frustrating. Anyone have a pic of where they put a hole in their floor...maybe that will give a bit more direction.....
Old 05-05-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

The lt1 clutch system does not have a bleed screw. To bleed it unbolt the slave and hold it as low as you can and slowly press the plunger in by hand and have a friend watch the fluid level when it stops bubbling you're done
Old 05-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your input bigj2717! So here's the update....I found the source of one of my problems...the bolt that holds the arm that connects to the throw-out bearing and the slave had almost completely backed out. I pulled the tranny and tightened the bolt (w/loctite). While I was in there I confirmed that there was no damage to the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel..thank goodness!! So after tackling that and buttoning the tranny back up I bled the clutch fluid...wow, it looked like a kid farting in the bathtub...lots of bubbles!! So problem fixed right??? Well now, I have pressure in my clutch pedal, but its too much. The pedal wont go to the floor and as i'm pushing the pedal down, it clicks about mid stroke. Have I again bled the system improperly or is there a problem with the master? When I removed the slave, everything was still in tack (no tears to the rubber). Thoughts??
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

the hydraulics on a LT1 system are "sealed" which make bleeding difficult at best. For whatever reason air is getting into your system....I would just but a new hydraulic for around $120 and replace it as a sealed unit.

LT1 "pull" clutch systems do not require a "shim". if .50 was taken off the flywheel (which is a HUGE amount) than one could put in a spacer behind the flywheel but IMHO I would just replace the FW sounds like you just had .005-.010 taken off which is typical. on a resurface.

did you TQ PP bolts to 22 ft lbs??
Old 05-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ******
the hydraulics on a LT1 system are "sealed" which make bleeding difficult at best. For whatever reason air is getting into your system....I would just but a new hydraulic for around $120 and replace it as a sealed unit.

did you TQ PP bolts to 22 ft lbs??
Yes sir...22 ft lbs.

When u say buy a new hydraulic, are u talking about only the slave or the entire system or the master? I replaced the slave when I changed the clutch. I agree with you, I still have a hydraulic issue....but I don't want to just start throwing new parts at it if they are not needed. Thanks!!