Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Stage 3 review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

mine chattered very badly for the first 200 and then it all went away by the end of the 500. by all went away i mean that first gear didnt vibrate my teeth out of my skull and shifting didnt sound like a dragon sized rattle snake. this is my first manual so i've never driven a full-faced clutch but after the break in it felt like my dads 5-speed jetta.

as an aside, im at about 800 miles now and the chatter is back with a vengeance!! first gear again feels like it was designed to put dentists children thru college...i've heard that beating on it a little will fix that, so i'll give it a try
Old 05-24-2010 | 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS101
mine chattered very badly for the first 200 and then it all went away by the end of the 500. by all went away i mean that first gear didnt vibrate my teeth out of my skull and shifting didnt sound like a dragon sized rattle snake. this is my first manual so i've never driven a full-faced clutch but after the break in it felt like my dads 5-speed jetta.

as an aside, im at about 800 miles now and the chatter is back with a vengeance!! first gear again feels like it was designed to put dentists children thru college...i've heard that beating on it a little will fix that, so i'll give it a try
keep us updated buddy.
Old 05-25-2010 | 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

so what is the difference in the pedal feel if you were to leave the spring connected as opposed to leaving it off? I left mine on but i know they recommend to remove it.
Old 05-26-2010 | 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loud02ss
so what is the difference in the pedal feel if you were to leave the spring connected as opposed to leaving it off? I left mine on but i know they recommend to remove it.
I'm wondering on this as well, I'm about to order the full kit from tickshift....
Old 05-26-2010 | 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by riddler
I'm wondering on this as well, I'm about to order the full kit from tickshift....
It's really not too bad. My truck has a much harder pedal, you will get used to the way it feels within a week.
Old 05-26-2010 | 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

that didnt answer my question..
Old 05-26-2010 | 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

I couldn't tell much of a difference at first. As time went on I thought I could remember it being softer, but it didn't matter to me because it's so much more firm and solid. Crap, and the best part is that it seems like it really likes to be abused.

It's not what you would call a heavy clutch pedal though. It probably falls in the firm catagory. It's easy to drive it daily. I drive mine about 500 miles per week.
Old 05-26-2010 | 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Oh sorry that was a question in reference to the spring. I can't remember what I did there. I think I left it on.
Old 05-27-2010 | 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Slightly different question but I am installing the clutch the same time as a new cam so how much do I realistically need to break it in before a tune? Its going to be street tuned. I really don't want it to chatter.
Old 05-27-2010 | 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

I think SNL recommends like 600 miles... I could be wrong though. That's what comes to mind.
Old 05-27-2010 | 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by shiv15
Slightly different question but I am installing the clutch the same time as a new cam so how much do I realistically need to break it in before a tune? Its going to be street tuned. I really don't want it to chatter.
My instructions said 500, I babied it for 200 or so. Then I started to drive it harder. Now I love beating on it. I'm actually counting down till my rear bites the dust.
Old 07-14-2010 | 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Default Anybody?

as i run drags races more and more i get locked out of either 3rd or 4th gear like say on the third or fourth run which sucks.what will the stage 3 do to help?yes i have done the drill mod!seems to me that i need a less frictiony throw out bearing because my slave gets spongy and weak at the same time or clutch pedal.....unless thats the way it feels when the pressure plate is hot and bound up.I've never heard an official answer to this.Pros please reply?!@!!
Old 07-14-2010 | 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

I might say you should call tick first. Seems like more of an issue where your clutch isn't releasing all the way. You might need an adjustable master... hell, if you were to get a monster clutch you would definitely want an adjustable m/c anyway... I did.
Old 07-14-2010 | 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ive had A spec 3, Ram VDS 910, and Monster 3.5.

Spec 3- Clutch pedal by far the hardest, harder to shift at WOT, and chatered really really bad(slipping the clutch). Install was a bit harder because of the shim. Died at 2500 miles

Ram- Clutch a little softer than the Spec, Weighed more than the Spec, and Chatered worse than the Spec(slipping the clutch). Installation was ok just didnt like the shimming under the pressure plate and the fact that it Died at 2000 miles.

Monster- Clutch pedal very soft, but harder than stock. If its hard for you then you must have chickenlegs. Much more esier to shift a WOT, a power shift is actually possible. It chattered (slipping the clutch), but not even close to the other two. Install was great, it seemed like GM T56/LS1 engineers made this. The only thing i didnt like was installing those pins to hold the pressure plate. 2500 miles and running strong

As far as chatter. If you dont want it to chatter, then DONT slip the clutch. Even with the spec and ram, if i would rev and pop it out slightly hard at the same time, all of them would not chatter. Monster was the easiest to do out of all.

Monster Takes the win, with easy intallation, easier launching(from a stop or at 7k), and easier to shift.
I hope this helps, this was my opinion and how i felt. I think its much better to compare it to other aftermarket clutches rather than the stock one.
Old 07-15-2010 | 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by shiv15
500 miles of stop and go traffic, if you would like our break in instructions shoot me an email and I'll get them to you.

Originally Posted by badamn
as i run drags races more and more i get locked out of either 3rd or 4th gear like say on the third or fourth run which sucks.what will the stage 3 do to help?yes i have done the drill mod!seems to me that i need a less frictiony throw out bearing because my slave gets spongy and weak at the same time or clutch pedal.....unless thats the way it feels when the pressure plate is hot and bound up.I've never heard an official answer to this.Pros please reply?!@!!
This could be numerous things, more than likely it's either a disengagement issue or a clutch slippage issue. Give us a call at the shop and we'll go over it in more detail.

817-750-2000

Originally Posted by luisdm
Ive had A spec 3, Ram VDS 910, and Monster 3.5.

Spec 3- Clutch pedal by far the hardest, harder to shift at WOT, and chatered really really bad(slipping the clutch). Install was a bit harder because of the shim. Died at 2500 miles

Ram- Clutch a little softer than the Spec, Weighed more than the Spec, and Chatered worse than the Spec(slipping the clutch). Installation was ok just didnt like the shimming under the pressure plate and the fact that it Died at 2000 miles.

Monster- Clutch pedal very soft, but harder than stock. If its hard for you then you must have chickenlegs. Much more esier to shift a WOT, a power shift is actually possible. It chattered (slipping the clutch), but not even close to the other two. Install was great, it seemed like GM T56/LS1 engineers made this. The only thing i didnt like was installing those pins to hold the pressure plate. 2500 miles and running strong

As far as chatter. If you dont want it to chatter, then DONT slip the clutch. Even with the spec and ram, if i would rev and pop it out slightly hard at the same time, all of them would not chatter. Monster was the easiest to do out of all.

Monster Takes the win, with easy intallation, easier launching(from a stop or at 7k), and easier to shift.
I hope this helps, this was my opinion and how i felt. I think its much better to compare it to other aftermarket clutches rather than the stock one.
Thanks a ton for the kind words!
Old 07-15-2010 | 03:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SS101

Let me know how this progresses, our clutch should NOT chatter this much after the break in.
Old 07-18-2010 | 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

I am at 425 miles on my new monster lvl 3 clutch, I don't understand. what the hell is a chatter? Mine feels fine, sounds fine, hasn't changed...75 miles to go!! woot!!
Old 07-18-2010 | 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

a chatter is exactly what it sounds like. As you release the clutch from a stop you will feel the car do the herky jerky for a second as you get going. Its just the pressure plate engaging the flywheel. Most peroformance clutches will have some chatter, but I will say this my Monster stg 3 has the least that Ive experinced and now that its been to the track and has some milage on it. It feels even better.
Old 07-19-2010 | 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

oh so i guess, i have no chatter or SLIGHT chatter and I just dont know it...haha...lol nah but pedal feels great, even since mile 1

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 3 review.