Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dex 3 seem not do to well at high temperture, switch time

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Dex 3 seem not do to well at high temperture, switch time

After 2 week running on dex 3, it seem to do ok when it cool , but when hot it dont do too well. I run car hard today after plug change, and I felt the car not shift smooth into gear, it not grinding or anything, just felt it not shift smooth like when it cold. Mabe switch to mobil 1 synthethic or pennzoil sycro. Any one else feel the same way of their dex 3 ? I just hate notchy feeling feeling, is this normal for t56 ? this is my first camaro with t-56.

Last edited by killagt; 07-18-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed mine the other day, to regular O"reilly brand DEX-III. It felt slightly better than when I had the old fluid in there. Not a night and day difference though. Next time I will prolly go with the Penn Syncro. As far as notchiness goes, I think a new shifter would help with that. Sure as hell can't hurt.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I changed mine the other day, to regular O"reilly brand DEX-III. It felt slightly better than when I had the old fluid in there. Not a night and day difference though. Next time I will prolly go with the Penn Syncro. As far as notchiness goes, I think a new shifter would help with that. Sure as hell can't hurt.
yub that how mine start off, then it going down hill when it get really hot out. good to heard back from you man, how everything going with the car ?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Internet Mechanic

T-56's are nortoriously notchy. If your inclined, try out the Pennzoil Synchromesh and give a report. IMO I love it and I was shifting great during the 110+ degree weather over the past 2 weeks in CT.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im thinking use pennzoils too, im driving my car all year round, just wonder how its performing in cold weather.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by killagt
yub that how mine start off, then it going down hill when it get really hot out. good to heard back from you man, how everything going with the car ?
Got the maintenance stuff pretty much all done. FLuids, plugs, fuel filter...
Got a P0131 code for 02 sensor, so I ordered one. Got under the car today and looked, wires were all messed up and stuck together on the plugin (not on the sensor), so I fixed that and haven't drove the car yet to check it. I might not even need the new 02 sensor I bought. Hoping I won't so I can get a SLP lid.
Oh yeah ordered a new AC clutch and coil from rockauto.com, gonna put that on so I can have some AC. Looking to ditch the C6 wheels for some WS6 wheels. Loving the car though. Been driving with cutout open, t-tops off, funny how everyone stops in parking lots, they turn around to see what the hell is coming. lol
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got the maintenance stuff pretty much all done. FLuids, plugs, fuel filter...
Got a P0131 code for 02 sensor, so I ordered one. Got under the car today and looked, wires were all messed up and stuck together on the plugin (not on the sensor), so I fixed that and haven't drove the car yet to check it. I might not even need the new 02 sensor I bought. Hoping I won't so I can get a SLP lid.
Oh yeah ordered a new AC clutch and coil from rockauto.com, gonna put that on so I can have some AC. Looking to ditch the C6 wheels for some WS6 wheels. Loving the car though. Been driving with cutout open, t-tops off, funny how everyone stops in parking lots, they turn around to see what the hell is coming. lol
haha all those word is coming from a happy man with a trans am hehe. Just got my plug change yesterday with coolant hose lower, but end up doing upper hose too. and plug took 6 hours just for the plug, god dam it, I hope i dont have to do it again. . Im thinking switch over to synchromesh fluid this weekent. one question to who switch from dex 3 to syncromesh, its ok to mix syncromesh with old fluid dex 3 already in their ? in mean it will drain out but not all will drain out i guest. just wonder any of you check their fluid and note any red tint ( dex 3 ) color ?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha all those word is coming from a happy man with a trans am hehe. Just got my plug change yesterday with coolant hose lower, but end up doing upper hose too. and plug took 6 hours just for the plug, god dam it, I hope i dont have to do it again. . Im thinking switch over to synchromesh fluid this weekent. one question to who switch from dex 3 to syncromesh, its ok to mix syncromesh with old fluid dex 3 already in their ? in mean it will drain out but not all will drain out i guest. just wonder any of you check their fluid and note any red tint ( dex 3 ) color ?
After 150,000 miles, I felt like mine were heat welded or some ****. The worse one as far as tightness was the front passenger side. I was getting super pissed and it just broke loose finally. Hardest one to get to was the back passenger side plug. The plug boot was really hard to get my hands on. All I did was unbolt the air line and move it over a lil bit. Not to bad of a job though.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

After 150,000 miles, I felt like mine were heat welded or some ****. The worse one as far as tightness was the front passenger side. I was getting super pissed and it just broke loose finally. Hardest one to get to was the back passenger side plug. The plug boot was really hard to get my hands on. All I did was unbolt the air line and move it over a lil bit. Not to bad of a job though.
No wonder dealer charger 300+ just for labor on changing plug hehe, wat plug u using ? tr55 ngk ?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No wonder dealer charger 300+ just for labor on changing plug hehe, wat plug u using ? tr55 ngk ?
Yeah I used the TR55's, gapped at .050

Quick Reply: Dex 3 seem not do to well at high temperture, switch time