Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bearing Removal (the easy way)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Cause there is a freeze plug in the end of the crank, and you will push it in, and oil will leak out of it, causing potential pre-mature clutch failure due to contamination.

Honestly, its in there so good, i dont know how you would push it out with greese to begin with. I bet you have to build up a good 150psi behind it to push it out. Maybe not that much, but it really takes a good hit with a large slide hammer to free it.

This is only an LSX motor issue, on SBC's and LT1's there is no plug in the end of the crank, and i believe its just a pilot bushing which is lightly pressed in. Some people wad up bread and stuff it in there and wait for it to expand and push the bearing out. There is no way bread would push out an LS1 pilot bearing.
i tried grease a few times here a sec ago, but yeah it would use toooo much pressure. i'm outside rite now beating it to death with autozones blind hole puller ... not going to well but i'll keep at it
Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned this in another post, but if you cool the bearing down with some electronics freeze spray, it will contract it the *tiniest* amount, but will make it easier to pull with the slide hammer. Took 5 tries on my old *** bearing using this method!
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 AM
TECH Addict

What about using dry ice or regular ice on it?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
What about using dry ice or regular ice on it?
not sure about ice lol, doubt it will work but I don't think freezes it will help any unless you froze the bearing and it only...

TIP if your using the blind hole puller and cann't get it to budge. ( few of us have had this problem.. )

I pulled, pulled and pulled with that slide hammer, couldn't get anywhere. So I took the splines out of the bearing and then placed the blind hole puller in, catching the inner lip of the pilot bearing, with the bearing not having the splines in it, came out on the first pull
Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hammer + chisel worked fine for me when the slide hammer wouldn't get it out. Took about 2 minutes.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes freezing it with duster by turning the can upside down works great. i freeze alot of ****. i usually get them out in 2 slides. i got a big slide hammer though
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM

I just pushed it in and what a pain in the *** by the time i figured out what was going on i had pumped a halv a tube of grease into the crank and pushed the freaze plug about four inches inside the crank. GRRRR what a mess to clean up!!!!
Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Just removal my pilot bering yesterday afternoon! Went to O'riellys rented there pilot bearing removal tool with slide hammer took it out in 5 mins. Just took 4 good hard hits from the slide hammer! The pilot bearing came out easily. Took off the flywheel and noticed my rear main seal is about to start leaking on me saw a very small oil puddled up under the rear of the crankshaft. Looks like I'm gonna have to replace the rear main seal as well while Im there. Stock '98 rear main seal still in it think its time to replace it.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 AM
Teching In

the removal tool from oreilys did not fit for mine it has 2 hooks on it am i doing something wrong and i was trying the grease thing with a small ext and electric tape but kept leaking now im wondering if i pushed the freeze plug in at all how do i check that??? after i get the pilot out and remove the grease i put in???? any and all help thanks alot
Old 06-18-2013, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any one ever use that. Uni bit looking thing. It's pointed and backward threaded . When you screw it in, the threads engage the bearing and pull it out as the point pushes into the possibly freeze plug?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys need to rent the "blind hole puller" from Autozone. I did my clutch recently, and this tool is seriously amazing. It's much more difficult/concerning when installing a new bearing... When I rented the tool from Autozone, the store wasn't even aware they had the tool. I guess they don't have a whole lot of people doing this job.

Rent the tool, remove the old bearing, and be extremely careful when installing the new pilot.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
TIP if your using the blind hole puller and cann't get it to budge. ( few of us have had this problem.. )

I pulled, pulled and pulled with that slide hammer, couldn't get anywhere. So I took the splines out of the bearing and then placed the blind hole puller in, catching the inner lip of the pilot bearing, with the bearing not having the splines in it, came out on the first pull
^^ This. I beat on the thing for a good two dozen pulls and it didn't budge. Reseated the expansion jaws and 5 pulls later the bearing was out.

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
You guys need to rent the "blind hole puller" from Autozone. I did my clutch recently, and this tool is seriously amazing. It's much more difficult/concerning when installing a new bearing... When I rented the tool from Autozone, the store wasn't even aware they had the tool. I guess they don't have a whole lot of people doing this job.

Rent the tool, remove the old bearing, and be extremely careful when installing the new pilot.
Agree, seems to be the best method when it's seated properly. Came right out once I had it positioned well.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Default So did I knock the freeze plug in?

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Broken freeze plug in your future
So I was doing this job, and tried the first tool which didn’t work pilot bearing puller from auto zone both with the slide and w-o the slide. Then I did the bread thing because I didn’t read the entire post, then saw that there was something on here about freeze plugs stopped , read the post about using the slide hammer and taking the pin out and then re-installing pin with it in the bearing... this worked and fast! I wish I would have read that first! Now my freeze plug is still there but I cannot tell if it is pushed in or what? Please advise me as I tried to get a few photos, I’m freaked out. I could use the blind hole puller to try and pull the freeze plug out?
thanks and please don’t do the bread thing , that is a horrible idea.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-updated.html

Read the whole thread. There's a few good tips in there.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing Removal (the easy way)