Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ram Clutch Slipping

Sup guys.. I have a Ram 402/980 setup. I'm running a Mcleod adjustable master and a 2001/2002 slave cylinder. The setup now has about 3k-5k on it. I didn't take the car hardly any high rpms at all for the first 400 miles. I then did 3-4 track passes, drove it another 200-300 highway (back and forth to track) miles and came back for ~10 more. The clutch felt damn good the whole time.. barked 1-4 gears.

I had to take the tranny out for a rebuild because it was having trouble getting stuck in 4th. I put the tranny back in and checked the torque specs on everything and everything looked good.

Its now been 4 months and I've only driven it 3k-5k miles including clutch breakin since then. The clutch hit hard up until a week ago when all of a sudden it just started feeling real mushy and even on occasion slips. I've also noticed when I use the clutch pedal sparingly it makes a tad bit of squeaking noise under the car on takeoff and possibly other stuff but I can't hear it due to the motor. The car also grinds 5th when its cold, which I've just sorta ignored and not used 5th til it warms up.. These are all my symptoms.. Do you think it could be a pilot bearing? The car has 26k on it and I didn't bother putting one in.. not sure if thats what it needs. I tried to be extra careful not to rest the tranny input shaft on the pilot bearing and kept support under the tranny at all times, and in most cases had 3-4 people just pick it up and sit it in.. At one point ( 200-300 miles ago) the torque arm mount broke and I drove it 10 miles home thinking it was the tranny mount with it banging on downshifts coming to a stop light.. I took it pretty easy on it, and I could feel it banging lightly like a tranny mount.. I'm thinking maybe this could have done some damage?

Any idea what exactly the problem is? Could this be a pilot bearing issue?

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

I have almost the same setup as yours but a different disc. I have the same squeaking noise but I think it may just be coming from the MCleod adjustable master. It has a rubber part on it that I think is making the squeaking noise.
As for the other problems how did you bleed the system? It sounds like you have some air left in there or maybe your fluid? Is it black?
I hope the squeaking isnt a sign of needing to rebuild the master becuase if it is I am in the same boat with ya .
Old 01-16-2004, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

It could possibly be coming from the Mcleod.. Thanks for posting this! I will check it out and try to rebleed it. I bled it using regular old method of pumping, opening, pumping, opening.. and also tried gravity bleeding it.. have not used the Busch's(sp?) vacuum pump method yet.. I guess I'll try rebleeding it, and if that doesn't work I'll try the vacuum pump. I'd hate to have to rebuild this thing, cuz its only a few months old.. I donno how I would have gotten air in my lines tho... Could this be the reason that it seems like its slipping.. the clutch isn't disengaging fast enough due to the master cylinder?

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2004, 06:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think the squeaking is a sign of the master going bad. i just had mine rebuilt from CNC and it has a slight squeak to it and it hold just fine. just like the post above said its probly just the rubber boot that contacts the rod making that noise.

JR
Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Its most likely air. I bleed the system the same way as you at first and could swear that there was no air in there. Eastside used the reverse vac bleed method on my car and it was fine ever since.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Iwas going to say the master may be going out too, for the squeeking. Also check your slave.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

My master is shot.. The rod moves left and right easy and it feels like *** overall.. It is also leaking fluid out the front. What should I do? Is there a rebuild document anywhere, and what is the part # for the parts I need? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2004, 10:21 PM
FormerVendor

I'm curious on this one...
Old 01-25-2004, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Mike, thanks for taking a look at the thread. Although, the title is incorrect. The reason for me thinking the clutch was slipping was the master cylinder was disengaging like ***, and was leaking out the front. This caused the shifts to feel smooshy, and like an auto without a shift kit, when just a week before it was banging the gears. The slipping noise was actually the riding of the clutch, because the thing wouldn't disengage/engage worth a ****.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2004, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

You know for twice the price of a GM one you think these things would last. You can try Mcleod tech line at 714.630.3668.

Quick Reply: Ram Clutch Slipping